Welcome to Cubase 10

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
limette

Re: Welcome to Cubase 10

Post by limette » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pm

It Looks nice tho, but im curious if there are some Errors in the comparison Chart.. for example under Audio-Editing is said, that Time-Stretch is just available for Cubase Pro 10 (what im very sure About is wrong) as well there is stated that ARA-Support is just coming for the Pro Version.. is that true.. ? i mean ,if you own melodyne you really have to use it the old way if someone has cubase Artist ? i might understand if Steinberg blocks the drop Audio to Midi-function or so..but not being able to use ARA on Cubase Artist even if someone has melodyne seems a bit strange. Its just odd to Always record into the Plugin.

Kind regards

Thurisaz

Post by Thurisaz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 pm
Pablo1980 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Matthias, thanks for the heads up, and congrats for the new version
Can I ask if it is any hope for long awaited features like the smart tool, enhanced midi editing like midi bezier curves and a smart quantize function.

I believe that in recent times Steinberg has been turning away from composers to focus more on producers. And features that would make our daily work more easier are put on hold, to accomodate for loops or chord pads.
So, summing up, can you tell us if those features are coming soon?:
Smart tool
Midi editing enhancement (bezier curves and smart quantize)
Both requests are on our to do list. But I cannot make any statements about future releases.
Well, I'm one of those who think that Cubase became more Audio and Lame composers, and electronic music producers oriented... Seems that really needed things for real music composing are somehow abandoned... There is only one real improvement for the film music composers...
Many times I have asked about improvements in the following areas:

1. The Score Editor needs huge improvement, cause it looks and works like stone age tool. I gave many good examples with Sonic Scores' - Overture 5.5 and Logic Pro X - Score Editor...
1.1 The Score Editor needs totally re-organized tool panels, nicer looking notes, etc.... Option to switch between MIDI mockup dependency and independence /in order to have properly looking notes with no affect on the humanized playback of the MIDI/.
Well, in Cubase we don't need Engraving tools... But surely we need Fully functional Score Editor which can bring us much faster workflow.

2. Expression Maps... also needs huge improvement for faster and easier mapping... like direct expressions, articulations and techniques mapping - exists in Overture 5.5
2.1 The range оф expressions, articulations and techniques symbols in Cubase is very limited and needs to be extended.
2.2 The expressions, articulations and techniques symbols, and text must look normally like in any Notation program...

3. Multiple Library patches into single Midi Track/Instrument... For example Violins 1 in Kontakt... Would be nice if we can load all available patches with techniques, articulations and expressions into single Kontakt instance and use them in single Midi Track, just like in the Score Sheet
At the moment the only easier and faster way is to create separate MIDI track per library patch.... But this is terrible way if have to Export the project import it into Notation Software like Dorico, Overture, Sibelius, Finale...

All these 3 main points above are connected to each other.....

At this stage The Score Editor and the Expression Maps are kind of useless features. They are much more distractable than helpful, because so much tech work is needed...

Looooong time I haven't seen any noticeable improvement in this direction... I've seen that Dorico implementing the same useless Expression Maps...

Greetings :-)
Last edited by Thurisaz on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:07 pm

I saw a video that said the MPE stuff was updated but you can't edit note expressions. This doesn't sound like it would make sense. Can you clarify what exactly has changed in 10 regarding MPE?
Cubase Pro, latest OSX Sierra, 2015 iMac i7, 24 GB memory, Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface, iConnectMIDI2+ MIDI interface.

evil-nine

Post by evil-nine » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm

haegar001 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm
Hi Matthias,

in the feature comparison list there are some discrepancies:

-Groove Agent 6
-Halion Sonic SE4
-Retrologue 3
-Side-Chaining for Cubase Elements 10 (would be great)

could you pls. have a look and give a short Feedback...

Kind regards
Haegar
THIS ^^

S4410

Post by S4410 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Thurisaz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm
1. The Score Editor needs huge improvement, cause it looks and works like stone age tool. I gave many good examples with Sonic Scores' - Overture 5.5 and Logic Pro X - Score Editor...
1.1 The Score Editor needs totally re-organized tool panels, nicer looking notes, etc.... Option to switch between MIDI mockup dependency and independence /in order to have properly looking notes with no affect on the humanized playback of the MIDI/.
Well, in Cubase we don't need Engraving tools... But surely we need Fully functional Score Editor which can bring us much faster workflow.

2. Expression Maps... also needs huge improvement for faster and easier mapping... like direct expressions, articulations and techniques mapping - exists in Overture 5.5
2.1 The range expressions, articulations and techniques symbols in Cubase is very limited and needs to be extended.
2.2 The expressions, articulations and techniques symbols, and text must look normally like in any Notation program...

3. Multiple Library patches into single Midi Track/Instrument... For example Violins 1 in Kontakt... Would be nice if we can load all available patches with techniques, articulations and expressions into single Kontakt instance and use them into single Midi Track, just like in the Score Sheet
At the moment the only easier and faster way is to create separate MIDI track per library patch.... But this is terrible way if have to Export the project import it into Notation Software like Dorico, Overture, Sibelius, Finale...
Yes, some valid points there. Regarding score editing, i guess there's going to be some kind of integration with Dorico in the future, but i see Dorico moving VERY slowly towards that, we don't even have real time recording there, jesus...
But there are some positive and refreshing new features in C10 so i guess i will make the upgrade in a couple of months
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 2| iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

Macbook 2.4 | Mac OS X 10.7.5 | Cubase Elements 8

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm

haegar001 wrote:
Hi Matthias,

-Groove Agent 6
-Halion Sonic SE4
-Retrologue 3

Fixed. Thanks. Unfortunately side-chaining in Elements was fake news...
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm

florian360 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 pm
Hey Matthias. I see there are still only 8 Send Effects for each channel in Cubase 10. Is putting this number up also on the to do list for further updates?
Yes, it is. How many do you think would be useful?
Hamburg, Germany

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Thurisaz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 pm
Pablo1980 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Matthias, thanks for the heads up, and congrats for the new version
Can I ask if it is any hope for long awaited features like the smart tool, enhanced midi editing like midi bezier curves and a smart quantize function.

I believe that in recent times Steinberg has been turning away from composers to focus more on producers. And features that would make our daily work more easier are put on hold, to accomodate for loops or chord pads.
So, summing up, can you tell us if those features are coming soon?:
Smart tool
Midi editing enhancement (bezier curves and smart quantize)
Both requests are on our to do list. But I cannot make any statements about future releases.
Well, I'm one of those who think that Cubase became more Audio and Lame composers, and electronic music producers oriented... Seems that really needed things for real music composing are somehow abandoned... There is only one real improvement for the film music composers...
Many times I have asked about improvements in the following areas:

2.1 The range оф expressions, articulations and techniques symbols in Cubase is very limited and needs to be extended.

3. Multiple Library patches into single Midi Track/Instrument... For example Violins 1 in Kontakt... Would be nice if we can load all available patches with techniques, articulations and expressions into single Kontakt instance and use them in single Midi Track, just like in the Score Sheet

All these 3 main points above are connected to each other.....

At this stage The Score Editor and the Expression Maps are kind of useless features. They are much more distractable than helpful, because so much tech work is needed...

Looooong time I haven't seen any noticeable improvement in this direction... I've seen that Dorico implementing the same useless Expression Maps...

We hear you. A couple of weeks ago we visited several TV/movie composers to collect their feedback and discuss the future direction. There will more coming in the next versions.
Hamburg, Germany

benjaminduk

Post by benjaminduk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:25 pm

We hear you. A couple of weeks ago we visited several TV/movie composers to collect their feedback and discuss the future direction. There will more coming in the next versions.
In the next versions of Cubase 10 like 10.5 or are you talking about Cubase 11?

Please look at the Midi Editor. It's so old looking compared to Logic's. Add bezier curves, better ways for showing CC lanes etc.
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen), Intel i7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard, 48GB Ram, Adam A7X Speakers, Icon Platform M+

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm kinda new to using Cubase. Do I need to uninstall Cubase 9 first? I didn't and now I'm wondering if that will be a problem? How can I uninstall Cubase 9 now that Cubase 10 is installed? It looks like some of the files are merged...
Cubase Pro, latest OSX Sierra, 2015 iMac i7, 24 GB memory, Scarlett 2i2 Audio interface, iConnectMIDI2+ MIDI interface.

Thurisaz

Post by Thurisaz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Thank you! :-) I really hope Steinberg does hear us.
The problem is that... this visiting of TV/Film music composers had to happen couple of years ago, not just weeks... ;-)

Personally I find the Chord Track useful only for chord changes Marker and the only way Cubase to have proper Encharmonic spelling is
if Chord Track is added.... which is terrible....

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Can you give us a progress report on the "Video Render Export" promised feature? Is it still in the works? I've been waiting 2 years for the promised future update. It's something I have to do everyday, export and send clips to clients.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Dorico

For over a decade now I've used had to use Pro Tools solely for the purpose to export video clips to send to clients. Make my music in Cubase, then import into PT to make a video preview. And now we've been waiting for 2 years since Cubase 9 and new video engine to get the promised replacement: "Video Render Export." Every other major DAW (Pro Tools, Logic, DP) has been able to export video clips for over a decade. Was so hoping this update was coming today, it would be such a time saver for me.

I will still update to C10. Too many awesome new features that I can't resist. But still bummed about this missing video render update.
christiandavismusic.com
Cubase 10 _ Mac Pro 10,1_12-Core 128gb ram _ UA Apollo _ RME Fireface UFX _ UAD-2 Octo Ultimate _ Vienna Ensemble Pro _ Too Many Samples!!

florian360

Post by florian360 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:09 pm
florian360 wrote:
Hey Matthias. I see there are still only 8 Send Effects for each channel in Cubase 10. Is putting this number up also on the to do list for further updates?
I'm glad to hear that. :D I would say 16. So it's on pair with the insert slot count.

Another suggestion: It would be nice if the channel EQ has more than 4 bands. You could use the frequency EQ. I know some controllers like the CC 121 or CMC QC (which I have) wouldn't work anymore but we have to move on. Maybe you could even get them to work with a firmware update. Add a feature like "double tap button X" to toggle between 4 bands each.

It would be awesome to use a 3rd party EQ for the channel EQ. Like the Pro-Q 2 from Fab Filter. :)

Have a nice evening.
Artist name: Okular (Producer and DJ from Zürich)
Genre: Progressive Trance
Page: https://soundcloud.com/okularmusic

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:56 pm

florian360 wrote:
Yes please add more fx sends..
Cubase 9.5 , PC: core i7-2600, 3.40 GHz, 16GB ddr3 , 2 TB WD caviar black, win10 home, UAD-1, UR28M, CC121, CMC QC

faaraotron

Post by faaraotron » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

florian360 wrote:
At the minimum 16 preferably 32.
Cubase 9.5 , PC: core i7-2600, 3.40 GHz, 16GB ddr3 , 2 TB WD caviar black, win10 home, UAD-1, UR28M, CC121, CMC QC

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm

cbdmusic wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Can you give us a progress report on the "Video Render Export" promised feature? Is it still in the works? I've been waiting 2 years for the promised future update. It's something I have to do everyday, export and send clips to clients.
Yes, this is not only our list, it's actually in progress. But since there are a lot of dependencies, I am not able to give you any outlook on the release schedule. We are aware that this is a much requested feature.
Hamburg, Germany

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:22 pm

florian360 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 pm
florian360 wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. :D I would say 16. So it's on pair with the insert slot count.

Another suggestion: It would be nice if the channel EQ has more than 4 bands. You could use the frequency EQ. I know some controllers like the CC 121 or CMC QC (which I have) wouldn't work anymore but we have to move on. Maybe you could even get them to work with a firmware update. Add a feature like "double tap button X" to toggle between 4 bands each.

It would be awesome to use a 3rd party EQ for the channel EQ. Like the Pro-Q 2 from Fab Filter. :)

Have a nice evening.
I think they could license the neve portico plugins, they were very good I think and I don´t think they sell to much anymore.
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10 64bit - Cubase 10 Pro - Vepro 7 (two slaves)

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:31 pm

The ability to use third party EQ and dynamics in the channel strip is way overdue. Can we please have that some day?

Sad to not see this implemented and yes - the portico plugs would be a great start, I really like the EQ.

So much of the audio and recording end of this update looks exciting. But I can’t help but feel sequencing is not keeping pace and has withered on the vine over the years. Do we get flow editing? Track note folding? Improved step/grid sequencing capabilities?

Can’t help but feel a little disappointed there’s not more of an uplift to sequencing in this update after many cycles which feel like they have concentrated on recording. It no wonder that ableton is so popular with the electronic music community, there’s little here to challenge its dominance in electronic music circles even if I will appreciate the new touches that make recording and mixing easier.

The new look seems awesome by the way!

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Still waiting on a reply as to why the Track Archives / Multichannel Disabled Tracks bugs [the now notorious CAN 13042] have still not been addressed. As a result, the lack of enhancing the crippled Track Presets is sorely missed. Can't believe its been - what? - 4 years now, and its still not possible to build a modular template that doesn't turn to crap in use.
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

Jazman2k

Post by Jazman2k » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I was not supposed to buy any more music software this year. Then I got email "Cubase 10 is out!". Darn you Steinberg.

Just downloaded my copy. I look forward trying it out but I guess I leave that for tomorrow since if something goes wrong I am too tired to fight with it today. But I look forward for the snapshot feature in mixer. It really will save time when trying out different settings. Is it lighter for CPU than 9.5 and has the sound quality improved?

jerrydf

Post by jerrydf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Starsprinkler wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:27 pm
jerrydf wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm
Any installation tips for upgrading from 9.5 Pro? ... just install straight over it?
No, side by side. You can have both versions installed simultaneously. Just installing in the same folder would probably mean problems.
Thanks Starsprinkler!

jdf
System: Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab elements, Ozone8, etc., UR22, i5-6500 Quad@3.2GHz, 16GB ram, Win10 on SSD; audio and vsts, etc on another SSD; + 3 other data HDs; two screens, Presonus monitors.
Instruments: Guitars, bass, bouzouki, 5-string and tenor banjos, lap steel, mandolin, some keyboards, Marshall amps
What I do: Radio Nights http://jdfoss.com/radionightsCosmic Two-Step (2017) http://jdfoss.com/cosmictwostep/ and Waltzer Ride (2015) http://jdfoss.com/waltzerride/

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm
cbdmusic wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Yes, this is not only our list, it's actually in progress. But since there are a lot of dependencies, I am not able to give you any outlook on the release schedule. We are aware that this is much requested feature.
Awesome! Thanks!!
christiandavismusic.com
Cubase 10 _ Mac Pro 10,1_12-Core 128gb ram _ UA Apollo _ RME Fireface UFX _ UAD-2 Octo Ultimate _ Vienna Ensemble Pro _ Too Many Samples!!

evil-nine

Post by evil-nine » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:07 pm
haegar001 wrote:
Hi Matthias,

-Groove Agent 6
-Halion Sonic SE4
-Retrologue 3

Fixed. Thanks. Unfortunately side-chaining in Elements was fake news...
That is very disappointing. Almost as disappointing as being 7 days outside the grace period. :?

Shame as I don't fancy spending £171 for an upgrade to Artist just to have this basic feature.

Jari Junttila

Post by Jari Junttila » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:15 pm

How about dual cpus?
Format c:

glittle

Post by glittle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Multitrack free warp... may as well +1 it here too since I've +1'd it for a whole bunch of prior versions. And a dash of "Bezier curves please" as well...

Return to “General”