Cubase 10, Windows 10 and multi-core (14+ cores)

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Aaron B

Re: Cubase 10, Windows 10 and multi-core (14+ cores)

Post by Aaron B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for all this valuable information Fabio, I don’t know a lot about why vsti’s and cpu intensive plugins needing different resources. I was going to buy a very expensive i9 9980x
Set up but after seeing the results of what gigabyte achieved with the Ryzen 3950x / AORUS 570X master 16gb of 3200 ram oc to 3733 and the mobo oc to 1.412 v stable with the 360 liquid cooler this seems to be a cheap setup that smashes everything 🤔 I’ve never used AMD before... when I start a mix I have GA5 / breaktweaker / Kontakt / massive / spire ect... and at the end of a mix I usualy have all my vsti converted to audio and all the plugins in off line mode and a lot of izotope neutron 3 and ozone 9 masking tracks treating drum busses ect which is where I’m maxing out my cpu atm for instance I put ozone 9 bass house preset on my master and it used 90% of my cpu..
So I’m wondering do you think the Ryzen 3950x would be ideal for this type of DAW usage ?

Fabio Bartolini

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:56 am

Thank you for the kind words Aaron. The Ryzen 3950x would most probably do very good with many instruments, orchestral templates and similar - might need a slightly higher latency to get the most out of it when busy.
Honestly I still have to see how our 3900X does in the real world. If your aim is to keep more intruments 'live' at the end of the mix, it might do really good.
In general, big mixes with many FX don't really need too many cores, with big VSTi templates you can certainly get more out of these CPUs. Also, CPU hungry plugins benefit from high-speed CPUs, as usually their load cannot be spread across cores.
Your case seems like a bit of all of this.

I have all Intel-based PCs at home and never used AMD before as well, but have a mid-range AMD 3700X at work - still have to do some serious test, but can't see any difference in behaviour and the performance is on par with my Intels.
The project I mentioned previously uses exactly half the resources that it uses on the 4th Gen Intel (8 core 3.60 vs 4 core 3.50, make sense doesn't it :-) ) and equals the i7-8700k (6 core steady at 4.29 with TurboBoost). Also good behaviour with HT on and HT off.

Plugins that are very CPU intensive prefer speed :-)
The i9 9980x is a great CPU, but runs at 3 GHz base, a single very heavy plugin could use most of one core and you'd be back to square one with 90% use of the CPU.
I'd recommend to think a bit about both usage and specs, have a look at the benchmark by SCAN posted previously (please check the difference with FX and VSTi in relation to the latency) and compare that to your needs / workflow.
Fabio Bartolini, Test Engineer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Aurélio

Post by Aurélio » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:21 pm
Hi Aurélio,

it should not be necessary to disable one core, especially with that CPU.
I actually dealt with quite a few systems built around an i9-9900K and this is the first case where disabling one core helps.

Curious about this, I'm sending you a PM if you don't mind.
Hello Fabio, Guys,

I'm sorry for delayed aswer.
Fabio, I'll aswer you PM too, thanks for asking BTW.

Well, with 7 cores on my system, instead of 8, I'm actually getting slightly less CPU realtime spikes.
But let me try to explain it better.
I used to have (or intent to) my system at 192khz with the lower latency possible (128) I have a thunderbolt RME fireface +, or at least 96Khz (at 64ms).
I realize that I got a lot CPU spikes running plugins at this sample rate, but the actual CPU from the system is running at 20% at maximum, so I don't think I should get spikes, right?

I'm open to send any system data to be analysed If you guys need

Thank you

Fabio Bartolini

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Hello, I'll follow up via PM.

The comparison VST Performance in Cubase vs CPU Performance in Windows is not 1:1.
If you raise the buffer and lower the sample rate by degrees, you should see VST Performance getting closer to CPU performance. If you leave the sample rate alone and only change the buffer, you'll see how CPU performance changes much less wildly than real-time (VST) performance does.

If you're using such high sample rates, there are a few things to keep into consideration. Attached you find two images of the same project, 48k and 192k (64 vs 256 buffer, totalling a bit less than 7ms latency).
This is a full mix project, only audio, no VSTi, 120 plugins. Still plays back fine at 192k 128samples, which is the lowest setting allowed for me, also when recording 12/18 tracks at the same time. CPU performance in Windows stays at 34% at 192k and 18% avg. at 48k (but the VST Peformance reading is almost three times higher for 192k in Cubase)

If you have already optimised your PC, maybe have a look at the plugins? There are some which are indeed intensive - last times I've seen this one-core-maxed, it had to do with a mastering multiband plugin being inserted on the channel that was being recorded... at 32 buffer size... you don't want to do that :-)
Attachments
TSP_192.PNG
(974.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TSP_48.PNG
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Fabio Bartolini

Post by Fabio Bartolini » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:47 pm

By the way, the pics come from the Ryzen 7 3700X (8/16) system I have at work now.
Performance is pretty much in line with the i7-8700K system (6/12, but a tad faster).
Hamburg, Germany

Boybin26

Post by Boybin26 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:59 am

Hi,

Am about to get a crossgrade for Cubase 10 Pro on windows. Any idea if there are any GPUs I should avoid/get? Have been reading past forums and it seems like there might be likely spikes audio wise. Help is much appreciated.

Best Regards

Aaron B

Post by Aaron B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:08 pm

I’ve done a little bit of research and it seems the amd is better than nividia because of the drivers and it seems as long as you are using an app that doesn’t require massive GPU performance the drivers are more important than the quality of the card ? 😳🤔 I’ve gone with an amd 580 bla bla for the upcoming 3950x I hope I made the right decision

Aurélio

Post by Aurélio » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Scanproaudio recommends ASus RX480 4G

theRoyal1

Post by theRoyal1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Threadripper Announcment on the 5th and release on the 16th!!
I'm waiting til the 1/2020 WRX release but exciting times ahead.
Custom WS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO 12TB + 2xWD4001 8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+ Platinum | CM Cosmos II
Cubits : Cubase 10.0.40
CMC-TP | CMC-CH | CMC-PD | CMC-AI | 2xCMC-FD | CMC-QC

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti + Virus C | Maschine Studio + Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | Roland XV-5080 + JV-2080 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MicroMain27 Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416 | MOTU MidiXT | Roland TR-8, TB-3, VT-3 | Seiki SE50UY04

Return to “General”