Steinberg - EUCON. Why are you ignoring Avid users?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
OxygenBeats

Re: Steinberg - EUCON. Why are you ignoring Avid users?

Post by OxygenBeats » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Oh and when I want to manually move a knob, i'll just quickly route the control to a knob on my midi keyboard. And I've never really needed more than 3-4 knobs for this.

Again, to each his own.

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 am

OxygenBeats wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 pm
J-S-Q wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Editing plugin parameters is the biggest thing but of course moving faders, instantiating plugins, routing, muting, solos etc etc. Mixing basically. :) I never use it for audio editing.
Excellent for monitor control in Cubase Control room as well.
A lot of those things I already have routed to my keyboard, so I'm not going to get any faster than a button that's already where my fingers are.

For moving faders and plugin parameters, I just find that the level of complexity is just too high to justify putting it in a hardware control. Because often I find that I'm using 100-200 tracks in a project, and many of those tracks have several automation lanes active. It's just easier to look at the automation as I change it and most of the time I draw in the automation. And for plug in parameters, there's just so many parameters that it would be really confusing to map them all onto a hardware controller, unless the hardware controller was like a perfect replication of the software but just in hardware form (which it's not).

I feel like perhaps it would be more useful with holder and more simplified synths and plugins; but today's vsti's have so many variables (of which I use nearly all of them often) that it just wouldn't make sense. It's easier to edit in the actual software, plus I save on money and set up space which also means my workflow is less dependent and I'm able to easily travel and produce without any set backs.

Just my opinion though. To each their own.
This is all great FOR YOU, who apparently has not even used the thing that this thread is about. :)
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

OxygenBeats

Post by OxygenBeats » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:32 am

True, true. Fair enough. Just trying to add a new perspective as to why they may not be prioritizing this.

ROCKINROG

Post by ROCKINROG » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 am

They really need to get on this! It's been going on for how many years now?
Cheers, Roger R Cunningham
Wired Audio & Video Installations

alexdetig

Post by alexdetig » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:37 am

Hey guys. Whats the problem? EUCON is integrated in Cubase and it works.

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

EUCON is a brilliant protocol, it offers deep, comprehensive integration for DAW control. Steinberg played a substantial role in its early development before it was taken over by Avid.

Unfortunately, although the Eucon protocol is well past vers 3, Steinberg have not kept up to date over the years implemting the new features, fixes and workflow enhancements Eucon offers, especially with the mix console, despite stating in the forums they had the new features and enhancements were working and, the upgrade would be released when the adapter, version 3 was released from Avid to Sternberg.

That was some 3 years ago and Steinberg, despite claiming in the forums and in a recent email they were fully committed to supporting Eucon, they have still not updated their adapter so, all though Eucon does work, new features and bug fixes have not been implemented, meaning that people who have purchased Avid control surfaces cannot use many of the new features and enhancements to the workflow it offers although they work really well in Protools.

They need to get it sorted, it's really dissapointing that Cubase 1O still does bring Eucon up to date. That, as well as many other reasons is why I've uninstalled the trial version of cubase 10 and won't be upgrading at this point in time.
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

shanabit

Post by shanabit » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 am

Why are they ignoring Steinberg Controller users?
I give you this. https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id= ... _cc121&L=1

Dont cry too much, you fellas aint alone
CubasePro 10.5.12 , StudioOnePro 4.6.1 MR816X, CC121
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6, 2010 MacPro 8 Core 2.4, 14 GB Ram

https://steinberg.help/cubase-manuals/cubase-pro/

cubace

Post by cubace » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Controllers are hardware, so it is yamaha territory. You dont go there if not yamaha say so. It died with yamaha, our best hope is midi2.0. Unfortunately yamaha is there too.

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Gave up on the Yamaha midi drivers after getting a MOX 6, froze and crashed Cubase every time when trying to control Halion 6, didn't like the keyboard anyway,it kept hijacking the ASIO drivers insisting it was THE audio interface!

It' really doesn't inspire confidence when companies get lax with their updates and fixes, especially the big players in the DAW world.
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 pm
J-S-Q wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm
Editing plugin parameters is the biggest thing but of course moving faders, instantiating plugins, routing, muting, solos etc etc. Mixing basically. :) I never use it for audio editing.
Excellent for monitor control in Cubase Control room as well.
A lot of those things I already have routed to my keyboard, so I'm not going to get any faster than a button that's already where my fingers are.

For moving faders and plugin parameters, I just find that the level of complexity is just too high to justify putting it in a hardware control. Because often I find that I'm using 100-200 tracks in a project, and many of those tracks have several automation lanes active. It's just easier to look at the automation as I change it and most of the time I draw in the automation. And for plug in parameters, there's just so many parameters that it would be really confusing to map them all onto a hardware controller, unless the hardware controller was like a perfect replication of the software but just in hardware form (which it's not).

I feel like perhaps it would be more useful with holder and more simplified synths and plugins; but today's vsti's have so many variables (of which I use nearly all of them often) that it just wouldn't make sense. It's easier to edit in the actual software, plus I save on money and set up space which also means my workflow is less dependent and I'm able to easily travel and produce without any set backs.

Just my opinion though. To each their own.
Here's the thing.
There are plenty cubase/nuendo users in Post.
Try to mix a 50 minutes episode for whatever show, with a mouse.
All of that under stressful deadlines.

cpechet

Post by cpechet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm

miguelnunes wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 pm
Here's the thing.
Yup
Windows 10.5.12 1903 / Cubase 10 Avid artist Mix (4), Artist Control, Artist Transport, 1 x Lynx Aurora 8, 1 x Lynx Aurora 16, Neve/API/SSL pres/comps, Manley ELOP, Spiral Groove M1, JBL 4345, Bryston 28B SST x 2, Bryston 7BSST2 x 2

OxygenBeats

Post by OxygenBeats » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 pm

miguelnunes wrote:
Here's the thing.
Well, you could also get touchscreens if you're not that comfortable with the mouse.

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:44 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 pm
miguelnunes wrote:
Here's the thing.
Well, you could also get touchscreens if you're not that comfortable with the mouse.

Clearly you never worked in Post, thats almost guaranteed.
Touch sreens? Not even close to actual faders.
Post and composing are completely different things, also, Im on the industry for a while now, these are professional tools for me, I need them to work as flawlessly as possible.

OxygenBeats

Post by OxygenBeats » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm

miguelnunes wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Post and composing are completely different things, also, Im on the industry for a while now, these are professional tools for me, I need them to work as flawlessly as possible.
Or maybe I'm just used to the digital age more. Most people aren't as coordinated with the mouse as they think, and there's actually a lot of room for potential with the mouse. The mouse is actually pretty good when you get used to it and if you practice your mouse finesse. The mouse is just as much an instrument as anything else. It's worth taking some time perfecting your use with it, since we all use it everyday. I suggest Aimbooster to work on your mouse accuracy/precision/speed/tracking.

http://www.aimbooster.com/

Or you could get touch screens. They are close to actual faders.

Or you can wait for Cubase to implement whatever you need them to implement. I'm not telling you how to live your life, I'm just offering you alternatives that can help.

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:00 pm
miguelnunes wrote:

Or maybe I'm just used to the digital age more. Most people aren't as coordinated with the mouse as they think, and there's actually a lot of room for potential with the mouse. The mouse is actually pretty good when you get used to it and if you practice your mouse finesse. The mouse is just as much an instrument as anything else. It's worth taking some time perfecting your use with it, since we all use it everyday. I suggest Aimbooster to work on your mouse accuracy/precision/speed/tracking.

Or you can wait for Cubase to implement whatever you need them to implement. I'm not telling you how to live your life, I'm just offering you alternatives that can help.
Ok, first, Im not a cubase user, I work on Nuendo.
Again, do you even know what kind of work Im talking about?
Not to be rude or anything, but seems like you clearly don't know the processes related to audio post.
There's no alternative, at the mixing stage, to actual faders regarding a movie, tv series, doc, etc...not if you really need to respect a deadline.

Cheers

GlennO

Post by GlennO » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
miguelnunes wrote:

Everyone who uses a control surface with a DAW necessarily also has a mouse and is abundantly aware of the advantages and disadvantages of those two devices. In fact they are probably more familiar with the relative strengths of those two devices than someone who only uses a mouse.
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:52 am

GlennO wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 pm
OxygenBeats wrote:
miguelnunes wrote:

Everyone who uses a control surface with a DAW necessarily also has a mouse and is abundantly aware of the advantages and disadvantages of those two devices. In fact they are probably more familiar with the relative strengths of those two devices than someone who only uses a mouse.
Exactly. Obviously while editing vocals I don't even touch a controller surface, but at the mixing stage its impossible not to.
Once again, Im talking about audio post, if I'm in the mood to create some music, the controller becomes redundant.
Also, during my short experience, professional wise, on mixing music, the way you use a mixing desk or controller surface is completely different from the way you use those tools in a Post Production mixing stage. I find that the use of a professional dedicated controller, a Nuage or an S6 for ex, for mixing music, has a more "static" workflow compared to a more automated/hands on faders Post Production workflow.

Elien

Post by Elien » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am

To me the key argument for a rant against Steinberg's behaviour concerning EUCON is that the company has explicitely used the "we implement EUCON, support the respective controllers" as a selling argument for Cubase in the past. What - if not this? - could lead to an obligation to continue the support in a professional way?

The stupid argument "would avid support a steinberg-controller" is really making me angry. The ignorance of one supplier should never be used as an argument for the own ignorance!

Please Steinberg - KEEP YOUR PROMISE (there was information by a moderator times ago who even told us that Steinberg were working on an update also correcting the channel-visibility bug/misbehaviour).

We need a reliable supplier. Steinberg? Please - anyone?
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 am

Elien wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am
To me the key argument for a rant against Steinberg's behaviour concerning EUCON is that the company has explicitely used the "we implement EUCON, support the respective controllers" as a selling argument for Cubase in the past. What - if not this? - could lead to an obligation to continue the support in a professional way?

The stupid argument "would avid support a steinberg-controller" is really making me angry. The ignorance of one supplier should never be used as an argument for the own ignorance!

Please Steinberg - KEEP YOUR PROMISE (there was information by a moderator times ago who even told us that Steinberg were working on an update also correcting the channel-visibility bug/misbehaviour).

Thats why I've been on the forums for the past week.
As an Audio Post guy using Nuendo, I don't have that many alternatives under 5k to do a proper job.
Bought the S3 and Dock 2 years ago, avid sold me on those controllers stating explicit support for Nuendo on their web site.
Don't get me wrong, even with the known issues, this protocol is way better than MCU. Everything worked fine until the 18.3 release, except for the channel hiding and that mismatch in values between the Nuendo mixer and the S3 faders, not a deal breaker, at least for me.
Then came 18.3, dock lost the jog functions (something crucial for my type of work), then it was 19.5, that completely rendered all my cue send controls to the booth unuseful.
Avid fixed the mixer values discrepancy in 19.5, not steinberg, avid, 3 years after those issues had been reported, 3 years!
But here is the real issue : if you think 19.5 was a mess on cubase/nuendo, on pro tools was the same or even worse, imo.
So, I've been around the forums trying to get some awnsers on why things are getting worse regarding a product that was sold to me as cubase/nuendo compatible, and why said software can't keep up with eucon updates while they state "full eucon support" on their manuals. Both of them are playing ball.
Btw, 19.5.1 is stable, but I don't know if it'll stay like that in future updates.

OxygenBeats

Post by OxygenBeats » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 am

miguelnunes wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 pm
Not to be rude or anything, but seems like you clearly don't know the processes related to audio post.
There's no alternative, at the mixing stage, to actual faders regarding a movie, tv series, doc, etc...not if you really need to respect a deadline.

Cheers
You do realize you're in the CUBASE forum, right? lmfao

Also, yes. I do a lot of mixing. I'm probably just a lot better and more efficient at mixing than you.

GlennO

Post by GlennO » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Elien wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 am

Yes, that's the issue here. Steinberg advertises eucon support in cubase, but if they don't fully support it, that is a false claim.
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 am
miguelnunes wrote:

Cheers

Also, yes. I do a lot of mixing. I'm probably just a lot better and more efficient at mixing than you.
You do realize the EUCON support between Nuendo/Cubase is shared? But if that's not enough, I have a EUCON controller, use Cubase, and would also like this fixed.

miguelnunes

Post by miguelnunes » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 pm

OxygenBeats wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:15 am
miguelnunes wrote:

Cheers

Sorry to say this but: do you realize how uninformed and uneducated you sound regarding this subject?
Lets try this again.
Mixing in post its not the same as mixing a song.
The issues presented on the Eucon software are shared between cubase and nuendo, even more, its shared between Avid hardware.
There was a solo button issue on the latest eucon that was present in the artist series and the s3. Also there was lcd lag issues shared between nuendo/cubase and artist series/s3.
Im on every forum trying to protect my investment for the future, some people play with daws, others make a living out of those. Do you have some kind of problem with that?

OxygenBeats

Post by OxygenBeats » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 am

miguelnunes wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:55 pm
Im on every forum trying to protect my investment for the future, some people play with daws, others make a living out of those. Do you have some kind of problem with that?
Oh are you an amateur? I thought I was talking with another professional, albeit an inferior one.

Get good with the mouse like this and then talk to me about how a mouse can never work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiCwEBrZHwA

99% chance you're just a troll.

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Carpal tunnel is a very real issue for those of us who've used a mouse extensively for years. As I have found, a control surface massively helped here. Even with all the issues with Eucon, it's still better (long term) than using a mouse alone. I cant imagine going back to mouse only, just thinking about it and my hand starts to cramp inwards lol.
Comps+OS: Macbook Pro's 10.13.6 I PC's - i7's - M2's - SSD's I Win10 Pro x64 (V-1903) I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro

Return to “General”