the crappy new GUI of Cubase 10 (yes, it's only a rant)

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
chris030

the crappy new GUI of Cubase 10 (yes, it's only a rant)

Post by chris030 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:49 pm

Hello,

sorry, this will be a bit of a rant, but i can't help it:
just updated from 9.5 to 10 and immediately regret it.
The design of Cubase 9.5 was almost perfect (not as good as in 7.5), so why on earth do we now have to deal with this high contrast, super ugly 2D'ish GUI ?? Why did the nicely and CLEARLY designed buttons have to go ? Why is it still not possible to change the font colors and ALL the contrasting elements ? An application that is supposed to be used over a long period of time should be designed to be easy on the eyes - and not only for customers with low vision impairment. Or again at least customizable in all aspects. This weighs so much more for me than all the neat new features that i can't enjoy this upgrade at all...in fact i'd rather want my money back and go with 9.5 if possible.

Whenever again i read "improved GUI" in the new features list, i shold skip it or even better look for another DAW.
Current System:

Cubase 10
Windows 10 LTSB 64 Bit
Universal Audio Apollo x8 + Twin

Manike

Re: the crappy new GUI of Cubase 10 (yes, it's only a rant)

Post by Manike » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:02 pm

I imagine the 2d element comes from the need to able to scale easily between different resolutions in hd.

I don't mind the 2d but It's at odds with the control room gui with more realistic knobs etc. They need to go one way or the other - feels a bit unfinished at the moment.
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

chris030

Post by chris030 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Manike wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:02 pm
I imagine the 2d element comes from the need to able to scale easily between different resolutions in hd.

I don't mind the 2d but It's at odds with the control room gui with more realistic knobs etc. They need to go one way or the other - feels a bit unfinished at the moment.
I'm not sure, but i doubt the 2D elements are actually scalable vector images. I think a set of the former 3D buttons for the most common resolutions would have worked, too.
To me it feels like the GUI wants to look more modern and "hip", as unfortunately many apps follow the trend since the flat design of Windows 10. I'll never understand this "me too" mentality of software developers. Instead of having a sense for good design and the spine to keep it, they go with the flow just for the sake of changing something.

"feels a bit unfinished at the moment."
Thats my impression too...when i look at the mixer - they mixed 2D and 3D very awfully too (no pun intended).
Current System:

Cubase 10
Windows 10 LTSB 64 Bit

Lasso

Post by Lasso » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:42 pm

only thing I don't like is the blazing white of selected track - it fries my eyes. Apart from that I like it apart from the ugly record and playback buttons - they like toyish
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:48 pm

It is clean looking. FINALLY
I7 8700
AsRock z370 itx fatal1ty
16GB DDR4
1 TB NVME
Windows 10 64bit Pro
UAD Arrow
Cubase Artist 10

InLightTone

Post by InLightTone » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:32 pm

I think it's FAR BETTER than the previous design, they did a GREAT job. Now it's in line with my Adobe apps which I use a lot as well. Clear, modern, consistent and a joy to look at. Try looking at Studio One for any period of time as it all blends together into a flat mess.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.

smapmap

Post by smapmap » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Personally I think the UI is better than 9.5 however till fugly in places and the inspector still requires too many clicks to get stuff done. Would have preferred more work flow elements to be honest although it is prettier to look at (at least to my eyes).
Software: Cubase 10.0.20, Nektar Panorama P1, Studio One 4.5, Sonar Platinum, Alloy 2, Trash 2, Ozone 8, Neutron 3, Komplete 12, Fabfilter Timeless 2, Fabfilter Saturn, FabFilter ProQ3, FabFilter Pro-R, Valhalla Room, Lounge Lizard 4, Output Signal, Output Rev, Output Exhale, Output Movement, Output Substance, Output Analog Strings, Tassman 4, Z3ta 2, Z3ta+, Dimension Pro, Rapture, BFD3, Studio Drummer 3, Sonitus Plugs

Outboard: HP Z420 workstation, Xeon CPU, 40 Gig RAM, 3x1TB Barracuda HD 7200rpm, Roland GR55 guitar synth, Roland VG99, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface at 24/48, AKAI EIE Audio Interace (24/48), Focusrite Penta optical Compressor, Samson Servo Amp, Tannoy Reveal speakers, SP C1 Mic, Roland KC350 Amp, Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage, Fender US Strat Deluxe, Soundcraft Spirit EPM8. Boss SE70, Boss DR5, Akai MPK88

www.michaeldoris.com

chris030

Post by chris030 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 pm

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”.

Design is not (only) about pleasing people, but has a clear function. I'd never start a discussion about taste.

I agree about the very good design of the Adobe Apps - but when you compare them closely, you will notice that Adobe has done it way better: smaller fonts, precisely designed icons, the tool icons are a bit darker (which may seem subtle, but when you have them all in context it makes a huge difference). Especially look at the difference in brightness of the photoshop rulers and the top measures/rulers in Cubase (you can adjust the grid color, but not the rulers on top - why?). The greater contrast in cubase is not pleasing but harsh to the eyes. And why the fonts need to be bold and huge is something only known to the evening breeze and maybe some glaucoma suffering CEO at steinberg.
If steinberg would adapt the flat yet low contrast and precise - almost dainty - design of Adobe apps i'd be more than happy.

See here:
Current System:

Cubase 10
Windows 10 LTSB 64 Bit

peachy

Post by peachy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:11 pm

for some reason mine looked a whole lot better after a rebuild, I would try moving your pref. out the way and seeing how it looks after some new ones are created.
Intel i7 8700K @4.8, Intel Z370 , 32 gig corsair RAM, Nvidia 1080, 4k monitor, Windows 10 64 bit, Steinberg UR824, Cubase 10 Pro, HALion 6, Groove Agent 5. SoundToys, U-He, NI, Moog. and 30 years of other kit....

Franklinspired

Post by Franklinspired » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:38 pm

What rebuild do you mean? Have I missed something?

What I notice is inconsistancy in sharpness of the fonts in the various drop-down menu-windows at the top.
I have not experienced this before.
Windows 10 Pro, Mac OS 10.14, Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Dorico Pro 3.0.10, NI Kontakt 6 & Komplete Kontrol 4.1.6, VST Plugins.
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ASUS Prime Z370-A, Radeon RX 580 GPU, Dell Monitor P2415Q (4K).
Steinberg UR242 AI, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 Midi Controller, KRK Rokit 5 Monitors & Sub.

peachy

Post by peachy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Not missed anything, I often completely rebuild my machine with a new install of Window’s, but I am an IT Manager and extremely fussy about the state of my PC… So I recently took the opportunity of installing both the latest version of Windows 1809 and Cubase 10 as a fresh install.
I was simply trying to suggest that when I first installed Cubase 10 my colour scheme was a bit off, and after I had rebuilt (reinstalled Windows) the PC, Cubase looked a lot better...
The fastest way to do this in your case is follow the following instructions.
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... on-Windows
Initializing preferences
And seeing if it helps matters….. you have nothing to lose, and if you follow above you don’t need to go to the lengths I did.
Intel i7 8700K @4.8, Intel Z370 , 32 gig corsair RAM, Nvidia 1080, 4k monitor, Windows 10 64 bit, Steinberg UR824, Cubase 10 Pro, HALion 6, Groove Agent 5. SoundToys, U-He, NI, Moog. and 30 years of other kit....

40W

Post by 40W » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Can't they make Cubase skin customisable as far as GUI? Maybe I'm asking too much but surely this is the only way to please everybody? Eg For those that like the 9.5 look, or 7 look etc. All functionality should remain intact, rather only the cosmetics are changed.
System: Windows 10 64bit [16GB Ram] i7

suntower

Post by suntower » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 am

I don't mind the flat look at all. My complaints are two-fold

1. A LOT of windows, which are supposed to simplify life, now actually make life more complicated examples: the 'simplified' right-click menu, and the new color picker which no longer shows you the -names- of your colors. In each case, what -looks- simpler on the surface now takes MORE steps.

2. The GUI is now in the half-finished world of VST5 circa 2000.... right before SX1. About 20% of the windows are still in Cubase 9 style. This is amateurish to say the least. It's like "Well, we'll just make it all consistent in 10.1, what they hey."

This is the first version since SX4 where I genuinely regret having upgraded. I had developed a sense of trust basically along the lines of "I may not agree with the new features, but I trust SB to not mess up the basic UX." But 10.0 is genuinely more difficult to use in my day to day activities.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

bassbill

Post by bassbill » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 am

The fonts in all the menus are almost not readable now!
Running on Win 10.
A great disappointment for me too.
It is not the usual inconvenience in every upgrade, it makes my life harder...

smapmap

Post by smapmap » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:48 am

The fonts in the menu bar on Windows look horrible.
Actually - the menu bar on windows totally sucks - what a weird design decision. I wish they could get rd of it. PCs are not macs!!
Software: Cubase 10.0.20, Nektar Panorama P1, Studio One 4.5, Sonar Platinum, Alloy 2, Trash 2, Ozone 8, Neutron 3, Komplete 12, Fabfilter Timeless 2, Fabfilter Saturn, FabFilter ProQ3, FabFilter Pro-R, Valhalla Room, Lounge Lizard 4, Output Signal, Output Rev, Output Exhale, Output Movement, Output Substance, Output Analog Strings, Tassman 4, Z3ta 2, Z3ta+, Dimension Pro, Rapture, BFD3, Studio Drummer 3, Sonitus Plugs

Outboard: HP Z420 workstation, Xeon CPU, 40 Gig RAM, 3x1TB Barracuda HD 7200rpm, Roland GR55 guitar synth, Roland VG99, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface at 24/48, AKAI EIE Audio Interace (24/48), Focusrite Penta optical Compressor, Samson Servo Amp, Tannoy Reveal speakers, SP C1 Mic, Roland KC350 Amp, Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage, Fender US Strat Deluxe, Soundcraft Spirit EPM8. Boss SE70, Boss DR5, Akai MPK88

www.michaeldoris.com

Detch

Post by Detch » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:07 am

being 2d is fine, and there is a tendency to simplify interfaces everywhere nowdays.
but Steinberg, indeed, done it in an ugly way. strange fonts, strange fat lines, and shapes...
some useful features are gone

they wanted to look Modern but forgot to hire a Modern GUI designer.
Cubase 10.0.5, Windows 10 x64, i7 7700K, 32GB ram, Geforce GTX760

Sensay

Post by Sensay » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:15 pm

It looks like f*ing Seaquest. Or circa 2003 Radeon packaging.

British

Post by British » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:52 pm

:shock: I would like to politely make a point and that is , l'm having a nightmare with the GUI Windows 10 and a 4K monitor .The new control in preferences HDPI when check marked it makes everything oversized . my 4k monitor tended to make things to small and now with the new control HDPI its not helping me .is this a common problem that a setting that I have missed that would put this right for me .i'm an old rock & roller born in the Forties I still like to try and make music though but I need a little help with a 4k monitor and setting
Colin

janomix

Post by janomix » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm

I have v10 an really I hate the GUI at all, are fat and with extremely contrast, not pleasing for my eyes. The font are basic, thin and big, truncate every time specially in the mixer window. Absolutely not suitable for small laptop screens. The faded color on tracks parts are look like toys, I love the GUI from FL Studio or Live tracks parts, solid flat and with a very good fonts applied. And the last v10 have a lots of bugs in the Option/Preferences when use custom colors.

I hope that Steinberg put more attention to this ugly GUI.

WastingYourTime

Post by WastingYourTime » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 pm

chris030 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Design is not (only) about pleasing people, but has a clear function. I'd never start a discussion about taste.

I agree about the very good design of the Adobe Apps - but when you compare them closely, you will notice that Adobe has done it way better: smaller fonts, precisely designed icons, the tool icons are a bit darker (which may seem subtle, but when you have them all in context it makes a huge difference). Especially look at the difference in brightness of the photoshop rulers and the top measures/rulers in Cubase (you can adjust the grid color, but not the rulers on top - why?). The greater contrast in cubase is not pleasing but harsh to the eyes. And why the fonts need to be bold and huge is something only known to the evening breeze and maybe some glaucoma suffering CEO at steinberg.
If steinberg would adapt the flat yet low contrast and precise - almost dainty - design of Adobe apps i'd be more than happy.

See here:
Mind you, I would never compare a software that is designed for graphics work to something that is meant for audio work...

graphic/visual/video programs are going to need a different approach, in which they might actually intentionally sacrifice visibility for the sake of not having elements/colours/contrasts that detract from the actual video/graphic work being tended to.

*edit*

see poll
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=159127

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 pm

A-M-E-N
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Windows 10 LTSB N

garymusic

Post by garymusic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:09 am

Personally, I like C10 GUI very well. C10 looks cleaner I have been able to adjust the monitor so it isn't so bright. Now I do not use the dark theme and I have tweaked the settings some but I have a design that I can work very well with. It seems like they moving in the right direction.
Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9.5, MacBook Pro i7, Apogee Ensenble Thunderbolt Interface, UAD-2 Plugins, Big Ben || Yamaha 01V96V2 mixer with Rev-X Reverb

Davyg 44

Post by Davyg 44 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi Folks
I have had the same problem with Cubase 10 regarding high contrast issues after installation as described by other users on this forum. I know this sounds obvious but here's how I fixed it and it now looks great without half the glare.
Navigate too edit and select preferences look for user interface and click on Colour schemes then click on Defaults, choose the darkest square from the Choose Colour Scheme menu then click apply.
If you now click on the edge of the transport panel you will notice other elements of the GUI darken down.
Hope this helps everyone out with this issue I'm currently on Windows 7 and im using an Asus GT730 silent graphics card so nothing to special and it works fine now.
Regards
Dave N.I

Vacoid

Post by Vacoid » Tue May 21, 2019 9:23 pm

I've been using Cubase since 6, and this is the very first update I wasn't excited about. The new UI was the only reason why I didn't upgrade right away. But with their 50% anniversary sale, I figured I'd go for it, mainly because of Variaudio3. When I first opened 10, my eyes were assaulted by the high contrast Hub, and it was only downhill from there. Fonts are too big and take up space. Big frames around elements. Transport control simply looks like a toy. I set up my windows to show the same components as I had in 9.5, and in some cases had to remove some because they took up too much room. After working in 10 for a few hours, my eyes were quite tired. Side by side, 9.5 is so much easier on the eye and much more refined - it was much easier to scan the screen and find what you need. 10 looks like it's meant for children.

I'll be sticking to 9.5 for now (at least I can use the new sound content in 9.5). I really hope they'll make tweaks to the UI to make it easier on the eyes, otherwise there'll be little reason for me to upgrade.
Kurzweil PC3, Cubase 10, Komplete 10, Arturia V-Collection, IK Amplitube and T-Racks
i7 4.2GHz, 16G RAM, 500M SSD for sound libraries, 2T HD, Tascam US-600

AnimeJoe

Post by AnimeJoe » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 pm

My ONLY issue with it is I have to fiddle around to get the transport controls to all fit on my screen. I'm still newish to the Cubase 9.5 and 10 experience so it'll more than likely get better with time.

Return to “General”