[10.0.40] Transport Panel (F2) still horrible

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
MrSoundman

Re: [10.0.40] Transport Panel (F2) still horrible

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:57 am

ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:41 am
I never use that floating transport panel
Please read my earlier response to the same argument.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

JSL

Post by JSL » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Hmm, what about to configure fixed bar which is part of proj. window to most used stuff, and floating(F2) bar to less common controls/indicators. You can resize the windows to achieve "2 row" bar.
But Im very OK with current state - configurable and kind of compact. Better than before for me. (with CC121, i dont need whole panel)
WS: HP Z4 G4 (6QP02ES) Intel Core i7-9800x, 32 GB RAM
SW: Win 10, Cubase Pro 10.0.4, SpectraLayers Pro 6, Wavelab Elements 9.5, Grand 3 SE, Padshop Pro, Iconica Sections & Players
HW: CC121, Maschine MKIII, UR44, Motu Micro Lite, DSI Mopho X4, Kurzweil SP 4-8, Arturia Keystep, Eurorack setup, AS Oberkorn MKII, Laney IRT-Studio

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 pm

I think newer users of Cubase are missing the whole point of having the floating Transport Panel in the first place. The idea is that you move the panel closer to where you're working (clicking) to minimize mouse movement, and if it's in the way, F2 to get rid of it. Unless you do a lot of detailed work in the MIDI editors, you probably don't realise what a huge part this plays.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

compositor

Re: [10.0.20] Transport Panel (F2) still horrible

Post by compositor » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:23 pm
Gr8h8m wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 pm
Its a bewilderingly stupid GUI decision by some designer who clearly doesn't use this program on a day to day basis
+1000
SB are probably in the process of migrating to another development library and the default state is in effect.

Stephen57

Post by Stephen57 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 am

I do miss the F2 Transport Panel. I don't like the new "ribbon" thing.

I used F2 all the time and have had to change my workflow to accommodate the new, less desirable, transport panel.

I don't think the "old" version will ever return and think the Company made an error in this part of the design.
-------------------------------------------------------
DAW: Cubase Pro 10 (Main), Cubase Pro 9.5 (Backup); PC: HP Z230, i5 CPU quad-core 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gigs RAM; OS: Win 7 Pro 64-bit; Audio Converters, Scarlett 2I4, Zoom UCR-8; USB MIDI Controller, Akai Advance 49. VST-Is: Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.5, Stylus RMX; Air Music: Hybrid, Transfuser 2, Vacuum Pro, Velvet, Xpand2; Novation: Bass Station; Sonovox Grand Piano; Rack: Proteus 2000, Korg 03R/W, Yamaha TG 33. Monitoring with KRK Rokit 8/G3, Tannoy PBM 6.5 II, Mics. Scheops, Sennheiser, Rode, Lectrosonics RF, etc.

Help with Cubase:
Documentation: https://steinberg.help/
Location/file paths of presets in Cubase and Nuendo: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... nd-Nuendo-
Preferences: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... and-Nuendo

JSL

Post by JSL » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 pm
I think newer users of Cubase are missing the whole point of having the floating Transport Panel in the first place. The idea is that you move the panel closer to where you're working (clicking) to minimize mouse movement, and if it's in the way, F2 to get rid of it. Unless you do a lot of detailed work in the MIDI editors, you probably don't realise what a huge part this plays.
I would like to understand it, I spend lot of time which I would described as "detailed work in midi editor. But everything what I need from transport panel I made by shortcuts without need to use mouse for it. So, can You explain for what exactly You need to use floating transport panel?
Im just wondering if Im missing something significant in workflow or if is there several ways how to achieve the same.

Thing is that every SW with this complexity can by used with very different workflows for the same thing. And also not everyone use Cubase for same tasks. And in some point of development could be hard to maintain and even know all of this workflow paths.
SW: Win 10, Cubase Pro 10.0.4, SpectraLayers Pro 6, Wavelab Elements 9.5, Grand 3 SE, Padshop Pro, Iconica Sections & Players
HW: CC121, Maschine MKIII, UR44, Motu Micro Lite, DSI Mopho X4, Kurzweil SP 4-8, Arturia Keystep, Eurorack setup, AS Oberkorn MKII, Laney IRT-Studio

jimknopf

Post by jimknopf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 pm

I can't complain about the new transport panel,
- not only because the new one fits into my monitor screen without any problems, if I want it
- but also because I mostly use shortcuts instead of slowing down my workflow with F2 and then all the mouse clicks

So I have a hard time understanding the intensity of the discussion...

mozart

Post by mozart » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:16 am

I like the floating transport panel for the information it provides - the confirmation of certain things. Yes I can activate the transport at the top of the project window but that uses up vertical screen estate whereas with the transport panel I can use F2 to toggle it on and off, and also position it in different places depending on what I'm focusing on at the time.
Music for Film and TV

www.matthewmooremusic.co.uk

Gr8h8m

Post by Gr8h8m » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

jimknopf wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 pm
- not only because the new one fits into my monitor screen without any problems, if I want it
- but also because I mostly use shortcuts instead of slowing down my workflow with F2 and then all the mouse clicks

What resolution are you running? Try it on different sizes of laptop for example. To get it to squeeze into a 1080p resolution width you have to disable/hide half the panels functions. Whichever way you cut it its just horrible GUI design.
Or your other suggestion is that its ok because you don't use it? Try and understand that there are many different valid usage cases which are different to your own.

mozart

Post by mozart » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 am

Gr8h8m wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am
jimknopf wrote:

What resolution are you running? Try it on different sizes of laptop for example. To get it to squeeze into a 1080p resolution width you have to disable/hide half the panels functions. Whichever way you cut it its just horrible GUI design.
Or your other suggestion is that its ok because you don't use it? Try and understand that there are many different valid usage cases which are different to your own.
This!!!! The "having to disable / hide bits from the panel in order to make it fit" is just ridiculous!
Music for Film and TV

www.matthewmooremusic.co.uk

Geppastro

Post by Geppastro » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

mozart wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:54 am
Gr8h8m wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

This!!!! The "having to disable / hide bits from the panel in order to make it fit" is just ridiculous!
+1
Paolo (Cubase user since 1995 -> Cubase Audio on Atari Falcon)
Hardware (desktop): i7-880 3.06 Ghz ; 8 Gig RAM ; Asus P7H55-M/USB3 ; Echo Gina 24 PCI sound card ; ESI M8U XL 8x8 midi interface ; Steinberg CMC-TP.
Software (desktop): : Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64 bit) / Cubase Pro 10 v10.0.40 (64 bit) / WaveLab Pro 9.5 v9.5.50 (64 bit) / HALion 6 v6.1.0 (64 bit) / HALion Symphonic Orchestra / Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D.
Software (laptop Sony VAIO i5-4200U 2.29 Ghz ; 8 Gig RAM): Windows 10 Home (64 bit) / Cubase Elements 9.5 v9.5.50 (64 bit).

JSL

Post by JSL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm

mozart wrote:
Gr8h8m wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

This is one point of view.

I think that designer decision was absolutely oposite of it. It was smthng like "how to make slim panel where everyone can put what he needs". If you use kind of SW seriously you will have to minimaze use of mouse and learn shortcuts. At this point, you dont need so much stuff in transport panel.
This idea is result of what you can see in cubase from SX version (I dont know the previous versions).

Also every piece of sw is made with some intention how to use it, and cubase seems really great with versatility and customizability ( I know that there are people who would like to burn me alive for this words). But at the end there is no possible way how to make sw which fits everyone, but every sw has some philosophy behiend it, how to use it with efficiency and if You didnt follow, it will not works well for you.

I move to Cbs 10 from Cbs 6.5 and it was shock that changes of appearance in main window, but after few months, Im really happy for all this changes.

Things doesnt have to be perfect to be used for serious works. I have lot of HW equipment which doesnt works exactly how it should, but We dont live in perfect world for everyone - thats it.

Gr8h8m

Post by Gr8h8m » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:04 am

JSL wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:37 pm
mozart wrote:
Gr8h8m wrote:

This is one point of view.

I think that designer decision was absolutely oposite of it. It was smthng like "how to make slim panel where everyone can put what he needs". If you use kind of SW seriously you will have to minimaze use of mouse and learn shortcuts. At this point, you dont need so much stuff in transport panel.
This idea is result of what you can see in cubase from SX version (I dont know the previous versions).

Also every piece of sw is made with some intention how to use it, and cubase seems really great with versatility and customizability ( I know that there are people who would like to burn me alive for this words). But at the end there is no possible way how to make sw which fits everyone, but every sw has some philosophy behiend it, how to use it with efficiency and if You didnt follow, it will not works well for you.

I move to Cbs 10 from Cbs 6.5 and it was shock that changes of appearance in main window, but after few months, Im really happy for all this changes.

Things doesnt have to be perfect to be used for serious works. I have lot of HW equipment which doesnt works exactly how it should, but We dont live in perfect world for everyone - thats it.
If the design decision was "how to make slim panel where everyone can put what he needs" then they've totally failed. It's a joke!
Don't get me started - I've been using Cubase day in day out since the days of the Atari ST!

PMF

Post by PMF » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:30 pm

OK, there are a lot who have "moved on" or just didnt get to know the old wokflow with the floating transport panel.

Been Using Cubase since the Atari days too and for my part, I really miss the old transport panel.
I started a thread about this too when C10 was released.

Heres an idea:
Im sure it would simple to make the transport panel user customizable like in the example I uploaded. This way you could make it long or wide, adjust size, stacking, custoimze colours, put it together anyway you want and place it anwhere you want. Someone stated something similar further up in the thread.

The jpgs show the transport bar configuration in Cubase as I would like it.
May not be everyones cup of tea though.
Attachments
C10_Transport_1.JPG
(29.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
C10_Transport_2.JPG
(243.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Multitrack/Mastering HW: ASUS P87 Plus, i7 4790 3.6GHZ, 32GB RAM, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD7750, HD SYS C: 0.5TB, Samsung evo 850, VSTi F: Seagate ST2000DX001, Data E:3TB, Seagate ST3000DM008, Backup/Image: 4TB Seagate ST4000DM005 x2, RME RayDat, 3 Focusrite Clarett Octopre, GAP Prem73 Pre, RME Quadmic II, OS WIN10 64bit 1903, Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Sequel3 and Samplitude PRO-X4 15.1.1.387 64bit.

Return to “General”