Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
Matthias Quellmann

Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 pm

For upcoming and future product and update releases, we will no longer offer support for the Windows operating system below version 10. Customers may be able to install Steinberg software under Windows 7 and Windows 8, but since we are now solely developing and testing under Windows 10, we cannot offer official support for our software when running under previous versions of Windows. There are several reasons for this decision: Microsoft has announced the end of life of Windows 7; various technologies are only supported under Windows 10; and, most importantly, Windows 10 ensures the quality and effectiveness of Steinberg products. We recommend that Windows users who are planning to update their systems to move directly to Windows 10 to get the most out of their Steinberg product.

Our support team has created a knowledge base article about the support of older hardware on Windows 10:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-u ... r-hardware

Best regards,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

silhouette

Re: Compatibility with previous Windows versions no longer maintained

Post by silhouette » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm sorry but I think this is unacceptable. I can understand that you will not be supporting Windows 7, but to cast Windows 8.1 users adrift seems a bit harsh, given that there is still Windows support for this version. Why would users who have computers that are still performing well want to upgrade before they need to? I feel that Steinberg has yet again not put the needs of their users before what is convenient for them. This seems to underline the lack of care for long term users.
Last edited by silhouette on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

gamelany

Post by gamelany » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 pm

I think there is always a time when you have to develop further to survive.
and especially in the technical world this will be the case more and more often.
SW: Win10 (64) , Cubase Pro (latest), WaveLab Pro (latest), GA5, AD2
HW: Intel i5/3.2GHz/16GB/Asus/SSD, Delta2496, Mackie Mixer

JeeTee

Post by JeeTee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 pm

And you decide to introduce this MID-cycle development?
So a Windows 8.1 system is supported when I first purchased Cubase 10, but whilst I'm waiting for the programmers at Steinberg to sort out the bugs and deliver a usable application, support is revoked?

That is really not acceptable behaviour. I would expect support to be extended at least until Cubase 10.5.0 (the next paid 'upgrade').
Win 10 Pro | X99 m/board | Intel i7 5820k @3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | Radeon R7 200 | Cubase 10.0.40 | RME Babyface

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 am

What's not acceptable is Micro$oft's policy of effectively taking control (and effective ownership) of people's hardware.

It is inevitable that all software developers must adapt to the environment ("platform") which is presented to them, otherwise they will not survive. An application as complex as Cubase simply must move with the operating system. Steinberg cannot reasonably be held open to criticism for deciding to drop official support for ageing systems which hardware developers have long abandoned (e.g no new W7/W8 drivers for graphics cards). If you want HiDPI support, then you need to bite the bullet and move to Windows 10. If you don't care about that, then what you already have will probably be fine, just don't complain about the GUI of some 3rd party plugin being too small to see after you nab that 8K TV "bargain".

If we had the option of Cubase for Linux then at least we could retain control of our own computers.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:47 am

Windows 7 was a pretty good OS but it is aging now and as some have mentioned, hardware driver support is falling out, which means it is time to update. As far as Windows 8 is concerned, it was sort of a beta test for Windows 10. I can’t understand why someone with Win8 wouldn’t already have updated to Win10. It has the same feel and look and works better. Plus Win10 was FREE for a year I think... If they didn’t take it then it’s time to bite the bullet and pay the $100 to update in my opinion.
I have been a Windows user of every version since Windows 3 and Windows 10 is the most reliable and stable yet.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:55 am

jaslan wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:47 am
Windows 10 is the most reliable and stable yet
+1, big time. Just do it.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

valvehead

Post by valvehead » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:05 am

jaslan wrote:
I have been a Windows user of every version since Windows 3 and Windows 10 is the most reliable and stable yet.
Same long experience here. There have occasionally been some minor hiccups in semiannual upgrades, but there have been far fewer issues than previous versions. Overall it's been the most stable and functional Windows yet for me.

There are also many things built into Windows 10 that I previously had to use 3rd-party utilities to achieve:
  • Task View and virtual desktops
  • Mouse scrolling of inactive items/windows
  • Quadrant window snapping
  • etc.
I have also found Windows 10 to run smoother than Windows 7 on older hardware. My old early '08 MacBook Pro had the misfortune of being used heavily with Windows Xp, 7, and finally 10. It definitely ran 10 the best. In fact 10 ran better on it than 7 ran on a another computer with twice the cores and higher clock speed.
Cubase 10 Pro, Wavelab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro 1903, Intel i7 5820k, Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1, Corsair DDR4 32GB, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
RME Fireface 800, Dynaudio BM6a

AllanH-CF

Post by AllanH-CF » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:56 pm

This sounds like the right decision, even though it's a difficult one. I would recommend that you pick e.g. 10.5 as the starting point and leave 10.0 "as is".

I would much rather see Steinberg focused on a smaller set of supported operating systems than spending resources supporting the huge and complex legacy environment. This seems a far better use of their limited resources. From my experience, Windows 10 Pro is the most stable Windows I've had.

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 pm

this is an extremely bad decision. :twisted:
the moment Cubase won't work on W7 anymore is the moment Steinberg loses my business, period.
same for every single local colleague using Cubase, we all work on slim, streamlined, offline DAWs here, not a single W10 DAW I know of.
in fact, I actually have a current offline W10 parallel installation on my DAW for testing - performance isn't even close, and a million little regressions for everyday tasks, file management etc..
add the sad fact that W10 doesn't add a single feature that would benefit DAWs and is about 3x as big as W7, for nothing else but datamining and facilitating automatic rollout of even more future datamining tools - no, thanks.
MacOS is no valid alternative either, same reasons plus more.
End of MS support doesn't bother me a single bit, I trust in 3rd party tools, way more than in anything MS ever did since the announcement of W8.
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:45 pm

JeeTee wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:03 pm
And you decide to introduce this MID-cycle development?
So a Windows 8.1 system is supported when I first purchased Cubase 10, but whilst I'm waiting for the programmers at Steinberg to sort out the bugs and deliver a usable application, support is revoked?

That is really not acceptable behaviour. I would expect support to be extended at least until Cubase 10.5.0 (the next paid 'upgrade').
Exactly. Whcih show a signally cavalier attitude towards loyal users. To signal that 11 would be when the change started would give us time to make decisions or failing that to have told us at the beginning of this year would have been a lot more considerate. I don't expect any apology from Steinberg as this is not something they do.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 pm

The upcoming maintenance updates for Cubase 10 will still be tested on Windows 7 and 8, but Cubase 10.5 will only support Windows 10. We decided to announce our future strategy as soon as possible to give all of you still running W7 or W8 system enough time to prepare.
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

TSJuS

Post by TSJuS » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am

Hi,

so do I understand correctly, that Cubase 10.5 will run on Windows 7 but without "official support" as stated in post #1?

Or does it mean, that Cubase 10.5 will not run at all under Windows 7 ( ... like Pro Tools since 2018, which doesn't even install under Windows 7) ?

LG, Juergi
LG, Juergi

bigmalh64

Post by bigmalh64 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am

I`m out as well alongside changing things for no reason (transport bar and various menus)
REMOVING features (lighten darken all in colour menu) with no mention of it (how about a what`s new pdf that has a what we removed section) Not really adding too many new features gigabytes of samples is not a feature NO the final straw is trying to force me to win 10 (their forced updates constantly break things) Why do you think we are still on win 7 or 8 (in my case tried 10 hated it back to 8.1 few tweaks cubase reliable )

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

TSJuS wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am
Hi,

so do I understand correctly, that Cubase 10.5 will run on Windows 7 but without "official support" as stated in post #1?

Or does it mean, that Cubase 10.5 will not run at all under Windows 7 ( ... like Pro Tools since 2018, which doesn't even install under Windows 7) ?

LG, Juergi
Stick to what is actually stated in post #1, and you won't go wrong:-
Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 pm
Customers may be able to install Steinberg software under Windows 7 and Windows 8, but since we are now solely developing and testing under Windows 10, we cannot offer official support for our software when running under previous versions of Windows.

Best regards,
Matthias
I believe, they would have said explicitly in that note, if it was no longer going to be possible to even install future Cubase versions under Win 7/8

HTH,
Bob
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.5.50, Studio One v4.5.3, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

nkf

Post by nkf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:20 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 am
What's not acceptable is Micro$oft's policy of effectively taking control (and effective ownership) of people's hardware.
Exactly. Windows 10 is a massive Spyware too. I'm mostly using Macs, but have a Win 7 machine in the studio additionally to run certain Windows software. This PC is not connected to the internet, just an additional intranet, and I couldn't do this for longer with a Win 10 machine. Developers like Steinberg, with Yamaha in the background, should urge Microsoft to offer offline versions of Win 10 for single end user - AFAIK there is a version like that for large companies which buy large volumes of copies.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:35 pm

nkf wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:20 pm

.. Developers like Steinberg, with Yamaha in the background, should urge Microsoft to offer offline versions of Win 10 for single end user
Write a letter to Santa perhaps he will make a miracle for you this Xmas.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm

This topic is about Steinberg Cubase, not a free-wheeling discussion/debate about Microsoft Windows. Please stay on topic. If it's Windows 10 you want to talk about, use The Lounge.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:10 pm

-steve- wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm
This topic is about Steinberg Cubase, not a free-wheeling discussion/debate about Microsoft Windows. Please stay on topic. If it's Windows 10 you want to talk about, use The Lounge.
ok steve,
if this thread is only about Cubase, then what exactly are we all talking about here - started by Matthias, fwiw ?
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm

If I was a moderator I'd lock the topic because there's nothing to discuss.
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:46 pm

Winter Rat wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 pm
If I was a moderator I'd lock the topic because there's nothing to discuss.
I agree, there's not much to say about it, but people can still comment. On the same token, this topic should not devolve into a discussion simply about Windows 10, whether it's spyware, its moral and political implications or any of that. Those are perfectly valid subjects, but have little to do with what OSes are supported by Steinberg products.

I'll be cleaning the topic, so apologies for any feelings hurt about posts removed. :ugeek:
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

fgimian

Post by fgimian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:08 pm

I fully support Steinberg on this one!

Just a reminder that Windows 7 is EOL n January 2020, which means even Microsoft won't be supporting it. If you run Windows 7 connected to the internet any time after January 2020, you are at risk of any number of vulnerabilities that appear but don't get patched. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to 10.5 so at least you know that you can always use Cubase 10 on W7 until you upgrade (which should be January 2020 at the very latest).

Windows 8.1 while a decent OS truly is a beta for Windows 10, and a bad one at that (from a design standpoint). If you check out adoption charts of Windows 8.1, you'll see how few people use it compared to W7 and W10.

I'm all for Steinberg focusing on less OSs and spending time getting more Cubase rock solid and awesome for us.

Oh and one final point, Cubase SX 3.1.1 is not officially supported on Windows 10 but it works perfectly. If you're so determined to run Windows 7, I have a feeling Cubase 10.5+ will still work on it (due to Microsoft's pretty strong continuity of their SDKs); but you can't expect Steinberg to support an OS that's no longer supported by the OS vendor.
Software & Audio Interface: Cubase 9.5.30 x64 / Windows 10 / Focusrite Clarett 2Pre
Computer: Intel Core i7 7700K, NVIDIA GTX 1050, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD + Samsung T3 2 TB USB 3 SSD

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 pm

silhouette wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm sorry but I don't think this is unacceptable.
Great!

SledDriver

Post by SledDriver » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:08 pm

jaslan wrote:
+1

I've been a user since Windows 1.0 :-) and Windows 10 is not only the most reliable and stable but includes key changes to low level stuff specifically targeted at improving low latency real time applications like Cubase.

This historic ambition to keep running older computer hardware OS's and applications is one of the main culprits for instability and slowed development for many years. Ditching the old stuff and moving forward is a very healthy thing to do.

But note, nobody is forcing your hand here. The old stuff will continue to work fine if it is working fine now - ignoring security risks. I for one wouldn't dream of going back to anything prior to WIn10, but I do still only run CB9.5 as for me it provides all I need and is rock stable.
DAW: Cubase Pro 9.5.50-SL3, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Build 1903, CPU: Intel i7-8700K delidded O/C'd @ 5GHz (running at around 34°C on air!! in Cubase), RAM: 32GB/DDR4 @2666MHz, Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A, SSD x4, Graphics: GeForce GTX 980Ti, 5 monitors, Audio Interface: FocusRite 18i20 Gen 2, Studio Monitors: Adam P11A+Sub8 with SonarWorks Reference calibration, MidiSport 2x2, Lexicon reverb. VST’s include FabFilter suite, Waves, Kjaerhus Classic, Syntorus, Eventide, R2, PositiveGrid, Focusrite Red, Softube, iZotope, Native Instruments, Nugen, PSP, SIR2. VSTi’s include Arturia V6, Addictive Keys, FXpansion, Kiev Legacy, MinimogueLuxus, MusicLab, Native Instruments, Sonivox, Spectrasonics, Synthogy. Others include zPlane, jBridge, Sleepy-Time, Voxengo, YouLean.

Assange_isNotNeo

Post by Assange_isNotNeo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 am

What is the latest version supported on windows 7? The number please?

Return to “General”