Global Workspace, multiple monitors, maximised windows (Win 10)?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
museumoftechno

Global Workspace, multiple monitors, maximised windows (Win 10)?

Post by museumoftechno »

Hi

I've just got a 2nd monitor. My 1st idea is to have the main window in the main monitor maximised, and the mixer maximised on the 2nd monitor.

I added a Global Workspace for that layout. But when I quit and re-opened Cubase (10.5, Windows 10 Pro), the mixer window was maximised behind the main window, both on the main monitor.

To get back to my desired layout I had to:

- Switch to the mixer window
- Unmaximise mixer window - it pops onto 2nd monitor at this point
- Maximise mixer window again - it maximises on 2nd monitor (desired behaviour)

Is this a known "Oh God Cubase, it's like literally 2020", or is there a way I can fix it... or is it some weird Windows mess I've got myself into (EG I changed which monitor is the primary, from Windows' point of view).

Thanks!

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Global Workspace, multiple monitors, maximised windows (Win 10)?

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

Unfortunately this is one of the known old(er) issue.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

Hi,

as a work-around, you can create two dual-screen workspaces with the same windows/editors, but inverted. Let me elaborate.

I also have a dual monitor setup:
2560*1080, bottom, set as main monitor.
1920*1080, top, set as secondary monitor.

Saving a workspace with MixConsole -> top and Project -> bottom will behave as you describe when recalling it after reopening Cubase.

If you create two such top-bottom workspaces, recalling the first one will fail, but recalling the second will work and place the windows correctly.
From that moment on, dual-monitor workspaces should all be recalled correctly and allow you to switch between them.
In short, it happens on the first dual-monitor recall only - if you don't need another workspace, you might just want to create a dummy one for that purpose. Not extremely elegant, but works here.

museumoftechno

Post by museumoftechno »

Fabio Bartolini wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:22 pm
I also have a dual monitor setup:
2560*1080, bottom, set as main monitor.
1920*1080, top, set as secondary monitor.
Fabio, thanks for this - you have pretty much exactly my monitor setup, so I'll step through your advice and hopefully that'll help. I don't mind hitting a couple of hotkeys when I start Cubase, that'll be quicker than switching to Mixer and mousing round the screen resize buttons.

Grada

Post by Grada »

Don't forget that you can use macro to avoid hitting shortcut key twice ;)
Cubase 10.5- Latest - Windows 10 1909 - intel i7-4790k - Asus Maximus VII Hero - RAM: 32GB - EVGA GTX 950 SC, RME HDSPe AIO

Null Test Bug viewtopic.php?f=250&t=117331
Noise Floor Issue viewtopic.php?f=250&t=134316&p=728526#p728526

jb

Post by jb »

http://winsize2.sourceforge.net/en/

This program runs in the background on windows. It's free. In short: with a keycomand you can " store" a windows position. You can also edit what happens, always (the window is not movable) or only set to the desired position when opened. I use it all the time, for example for forcing plugins to open always at a specific position on the screen, this works great, even when the file comes from another computer. And to keep cubase project, transport and mixer windows where I want them.
Studio: Cubase 10.5 + jBridge 1.75
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/RME Digiface and MultifacePCI/W10-64
Studio 2: Clone with RME digiface
Controllers: https://www.jbgeluid.nl/en/jurmix/
Dual Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000

BJ

Post by BJ »

Lenovo T580
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Motu UltraLitemk3 Hybrid
Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Wavelab 7.2.1 64bit

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Martin.Jirsak wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:51 pm
Hi,

Unfortunately this is one of the known old(er) issue.
Unless this only applies to Mac, or I don't understand the issue, there is no issue here, and there never has been an issue with this.

3 monitors wide screen 2560x1080. Project page in one, mix consoles in the other 2. (The Cubase menu is included in the Project Page. All 3 are maximized (windows)

Since the OP is using only 2 screens I'll do the same.

1. Set up Project Page Window on monitor 1. Set up mix console 2 on monitor 2...both windows are maximized.
2. Workspace>add workspace> global workspace>testing, then press OK.
3. Quit (no need to save the project)
4. Open Cubase 10.5 latest version, Steinberg hub opens, choose my default project to open.
5. Workspaces>testing

Workspace opens exactly like it should. Project page on monitor 1, mix console 1 on monitor 2.
There is nothing behind the Project page.

So what am I doing wrong?...or I mean right? :D
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 »

So what am I doing wrong?...or I mean right?
Same here workspaces always working right with 4 monitors extended and non extented windows..... But I'm on windows ;)
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 10 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / 24 Ch X-Touch / CMC Controllers / iPad 2&3 Lemur / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 /

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

I have never used workspaces per se, but i have three monitors (main project on monitor one, second - mixconsole 1, third - mixconsole 2) and it stays that way because its saved in my selfmade startup template. So since all projects origin in that template, all three monitors are in use and my windows configs (including plugins) stays inplace in all projects.
Main studio: Cubase pro 10.0.3, Wavelab 9.5, mac pro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9, 10 and 11, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and much more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom 1: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote
Classroom 2: mac pro 2011, Cubase elements 10.5, protools 11, scarlet 18i20, 3d gen

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi,

You are probably right, this issue is Mac only.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Steinberg

Post by Steinberg »

I'm on Windows and can reproduce it 100% of the times without fail.
Keep in mind it might occur only with different screen resolutions at play, so not everyone will see this; I don't in a 3*Full HD horizontal layout.

BJ

Post by BJ »

Have you tried moving the menu bar to the monitor where you want the mixer to appear?
Lenovo T580
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Motu UltraLitemk3 Hybrid
Cubase Pro 10.0.20
Wavelab 7.2.1 64bit

Elien

Post by Elien »

Workspaces dont work here correctly on a 4 monitor setup with a matrox multi-display card. The monitors work with a non HD screen resulution.
So Fabio might be right and the behaviour might depend on certain factors. THe deeper lying cause might be in the way cubase does window handling (including the menu bar window...). I suspect this because when I move the menu bar to a separate 5th display and open all other windows on the other 4 screens the workspaces work correctly...
Cubase btw. is the only application here that does not handle the multi-screen thing correctly.

Please do not neglect non-HD and non-4K screens.
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

beatpete

Post by beatpete »

jb wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 pm
http://winsize2.sourceforge.net/en/

This program runs in the background on windows. It's free. In short: with a keycomand you can " store" a windows position. You can also edit what happens, always (the window is not movable) or only set to the desired position when opened. I use it all the time, for example for forcing plugins to open always at a specific position on the screen, this works great, even when the file comes from another computer. And to keep cubase project, transport and mixer windows where I want them.

This program is amazing! It took a while to get to know but now, when I open any mixer it opens maximized, audio editor, pool window and media bay all open the same size and place not to mention so muck more.
Thanks jb
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 10.5 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 10 64bit, I5 3450,32 gb ram, VEPro 7.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Elien wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:33 pm
Workspaces dont work here correctly on a 4 monitor setup with a matrox multi-display card. The monitors work with a non HD screen resulution.
So Fabio might be right and the behaviour might depend on certain factors. THe deeper lying cause might be in the way cubase does window handling (including the menu bar window...). I suspect this because when I move the menu bar to a separate 5th display and open all other windows on the other 4 screens the workspaces work correctly...
Cubase btw. is the only application here that does not handle the multi-screen thing correctly.

Please do not neglect non-HD and non-4K screens.
There are so many variables here it's hard to guess.

Would monitor placement, vertical vs horizontal and corresponding Windows 10/video card settings make a difference?

Good to know your solution was to move the menu bar to a separate 5th display and it works correctly.

With my current 3 screen horizontal set-up using 3 34-inch 2560x1080, all from Matrix GForce GTX 1070ti...I had all kinds of initial problems setting them up properly. It took a few days, and finally a customer service call and the 1st tier support person said "are you sure you are using the included HDMI cables?" I thought why open up new HDMI cables when I have ones already in place? As it turned out I learned a lesson the hard way...there are different versions of HDMI cables. I'm not used to cable versions when the pins are identical :lol:
https://www.lifewire.com/hdmi-facts-hig ... ce-1847337

On one of my older systems.
Windows 7 64. 4 identical 18 inch monitors side-by-side set up 1280x1024. Gforce 750ti? I cant remember for sure.
They worked almost flawlessly for years. The one issue is that I was forced to plug 3 of the 4 into my GForce, and the remaining one into the motherboard video out. Intermittently I would get screens in the wrong order. The solution was to unplug, plug back in and it would usually correct itself. My PC builder said he didn't think it was a good idea to use both motherboard video out and GForce outs. I think he is right.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Return to “General”