Cubase' hotkeys, macros and tips with gif examples - external link

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
keto88

Cubase' hotkeys, macros and tips with gif examples - external link

Post by keto88 »

My friend have made a big article with gif examples about most used hotkeys in Cubase. Please share your thoughts about what should be added.

>THE LINK<

Also I would like to know what does this keys do and where to use them? Can't figure this out. Tried everywhere - doesn't work:
Alt-E - Expand/Reduce
Alt+A - Activate/Deactivate
Alt+F - invert
Shift + Q - auto grid
Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Down/Arrow Up - Primary Parameter: Decrease/ Increase
Shift-F4 - Inline: Key Commands

Examples:

Last edited by keto88 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ggmanestraki

Re: Cubase' hotkeys, macros and tips with gif examples - external link

Post by ggmanestraki »

That's a nice thing your friend is doing!

Alt E

Expands/Reduces the racks in the mixconsole for example. Generally Expands/Reduces whatever has focus, but navigating focus exactly to where I want with the keyboard to test it out is a pain.

Alt A

Multifunctional key. Activates/Deactivates whatever can be activated/deactivated when it's focused. Works on headers (Inserts, Sends, EQ, Strip) to bypass them. Works on specific controls that have focus, e.g. an equalizer band. I suspect there are a million other places where this works, but again getting keyboard focus where I want to test it out is tough.

Alt F

"Edit > Select > Invert is the function. A key command is assigned to ""Invert"" (Alt F). This however does nothing. On the other hand, when (Alt F) is assigned to ""Invert Selection"", the keycommand will happily show next to Edit > Select > Invert"

Shift Q

In Sample Editor, under Definition, there exists Auto Adjust. That’s what the key command does.

Ctrl Shift Up/Down

This command raises the volume of the focused channel(s) in 1dB steps. Works in Mixconsole only.

Primary Parameter = Volume. Increase/Decrease = 1dB steps. Fine Increase/Decrease = 0.1dB steps.
Secondary Parameter = Pan. Increase/Decrease = steps of 10. Fine Increase/Decrease = steps of 1.

Shift F4

Not present in 10.5. I don't know what all these commands in "Commands>Window" category do.

Have a peek here, hopefully it will be of some use:
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=190409

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

@ ggmanestraki

you're a prime candidate for AHK !
we covered all the essentials in fairly recent discussions, including concrete examples, but writing the scripts is a very personal task. It's super easy though.
let's just say you can repair all of Steinberg's focus damage with AHK, activate any tab in the zones (emulated mouse clicks via coordinates), map additional keyboards, repair the broken "F1 opens the local pdf manual" core functionality and so much more ... 8-)

thanks for your KC thread, btw - superb idea :!:
cheers,
Rhino
ggmanestraki wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 am
That's a nice thing your friend is doing!

Alt E

Expands/Reduces the racks in the mixconsole for example. Generally Expands/Reduces whatever has focus, but navigating focus exactly to where I want with the keyboard to test it out is a pain.

Alt A

Multifunctional key. Activates/Deactivates whatever can be activated/deactivated when it's focused. Works on headers (Inserts, Sends, EQ, Strip) to bypass them. Works on specific controls that have focus, e.g. an equalizer band. I suspect there are a million other places where this works, but again getting keyboard focus where I want to test it out is tough.

Alt F

"Edit > Select > Invert is the function. A key command is assigned to ""Invert"" (Alt F). This however does nothing. On the other hand, when (Alt F) is assigned to ""Invert Selection"", the keycommand will happily show next to Edit > Select > Invert"

Shift Q

In Sample Editor, under Definition, there exists Auto Adjust. That’s what the key command does.

Ctrl Shift Up/Down

This command raises the volume of the focused channel(s) in 1dB steps. Works in Mixconsole only.

Primary Parameter = Volume. Increase/Decrease = 1dB steps. Fine Increase/Decrease = 0.1dB steps.
Secondary Parameter = Pan. Increase/Decrease = steps of 10. Fine Increase/Decrease = steps of 1.

Shift F4

Not present in 10.5. I don't know what all these commands in "Commands>Window" category do.

Have a peek here, hopefully it will be of some use:
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=190409
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

keto88

Post by keto88 »

ggmanestraki wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 am
Thanks a lot for this! I know you dd a huge job! I think all of your work should be included into the manual!

As for Shift+F4 as well as Shift+F2 - I think it's some legacy. Shift+F2 works in C9, and doesn't in C10. Maybe Shift+F4 was dropped earlier.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Rhino wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:14 pm

let's just say you can repair all of Steinberg's focus damage with AHK,
I must have missed the link or tutorial addressing tab/zone focus issues. Can you provide one please?
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

ggmanestraki

Post by ggmanestraki »

Rhino wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:14 pm
@ ggmanestraki

you're a prime candidate for AHK !
we covered all the essentials in fairly recent discussions, including concrete examples, but writing the scripts is a very personal task. It's super easy though.
let's just say you can repair all of Steinberg's focus damage with AHK, activate any tab in the zones (emulated mouse clicks via coordinates), map additional keyboards, repair the broken "F1 opens the local pdf manual" core functionality and so much more ... 8-)
I dipped my toe in AHK just a tiny bit, and holy molly! The only thing I have semi-successfully done is make 3 hotkeys to swap Key Command presets on the fly.

I also tried to make some mixconsole scripts in that you type the number of the channel you want to scroll to, (e.g. type "14" and it scrolls to channel number 14.) but then I wanted to be able to add Inserts and more, more, more. Keeping it tidy and remembering exactly WTF I'm doing... it's tough for me. At some point I end up tangled in a convoluted mess that gives me an itch to delete everything and start over.

It (AHK) is very inspiring though, as the implementation of my ideas are always juuuust some lines of code away, but... I'm not good at programming/coding. I'm wrecking my brain and have very little to show at the end of it. Let alone the faults in my logic, and stuff that I didn't account for wreaking havoc everywhere! :lol:

Maybe at some point I will be able to dip my ankle in too. :)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

greggybud wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:30 pm
I must have missed the link or tutorial addressing tab/zone focus issues. Can you provide one please?
there you go.
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=154864&p=834668&hilit=AHK#p834668
in fact, all credit goes to Tracker for the brilliant concept ! :ugeek:

have fun,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

ggmanestraki wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:27 am
I dipped my toe in AHK just a tiny bit, and holy molly! The only thing I have semi-successfully done is make 3 hotkeys to swap Key Command presets on the fly.

I also tried to make some mixconsole scripts in that you type the number of the channel you want to scroll to, (e.g. type "14" and it scrolls to channel number 14.) but then I wanted to be able to add Inserts and more, more, more. Keeping it tidy and remembering exactly WTF I'm doing... it's tough for me. At some point I end up tangled in a convoluted mess that gives me an itch to delete everything and start over.

It (AHK) is very inspiring though, as the implementation of my ideas are always juuuust some lines of code away, but... I'm not good at programming/coding. I'm wrecking my brain and have very little to show at the end of it. Let alone the faults in my logic, and stuff that I didn't account for wreaking havoc everywhere! :lol:

Maybe at some point I will be able to dip my ankle in too. :)
to find all "my" example code snippets, just search for AHK & Rhino ...
a handful of simple building blocks is all you'll need, copy, paste and adapt !

recommendation :
start from scratch and don't overthink it initially !
a little goes a long way here.
most of what I do is remap KCs, activate the various windows and send KCs where they actually belong, that's a huuuge workflow improvement already, fixing the lion's share of Steinberg's focus mess introduced with C7 / C8 to support Nuage. :roll:
then there's handy stuff like stealing F1 from Cubase entirely and opening the local pdf manual as God intended, and all the advanced tricks you can pull off with emulated mouse clicks (tabs & zones for example) ! 8-)
I'm merely scratching the surface yet, but I guess 1/3 of my daily keystrokes already pass through AHK, one way or another.

have fun, and if you come up with something cool, please share it !
I'm learning all the time ...
cheers,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

ggmanestraki

Post by ggmanestraki »

Rhino wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am

to find all "my" example code snippets, just search for AHK & Rhino ...
a handful of simple building blocks is all you'll need, copy, paste and adapt !

recommendation :
start from scratch and don't overthink it initially !
a little goes a long way here.
most of what I do is remap KCs, activate the various windows and send KCs where they actually belong, that's a huuuge workflow improvement already, fixing the lion's share of Steinberg's focus mess introduced with C7 / C8 to support Nuage. :roll:
then there's handy stuff like stealing F1 from Cubase entirely and opening the local pdf manual as God intended, and all the advanced tricks you can pull off with emulated mouse clicks (tabs & zones for example) ! 8-)
I'm merely scratching the surface yet, but I guess 1/3 of my daily keystrokes already pass through AHK, one way or another.

have fun, and if you come up with something cool, please share it !
I'm learning all the time ...
cheers,
Rhino
That's awesome! I will search for your scripts then! Thanks a lot!

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

ggmanestraki wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 am
That's awesome! I will search for your scripts then! Thanks a lot!
you're welcome ! :D
have fun, you seem to be the kind of person that can really benefit.
cheers,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Rhino wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:35 am
there you go.
viewtopic.php?f=283&t=154864&p=834668&hilit=AHK#p834668
in fact, all credit goes to Tracker for the brilliant concept ! :ugeek:

have fun,
Rhino
Thanks! I have never used AHK, but selecting a zone, (KC's do exist exist) then selecting a particular tab within that zone, (no KC's exist) would be very helpful and speed workflow.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

greggybud wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:40 pm
Thanks! I have never used AHK, but selecting a zone, (KC's do exist exist) then selecting a particular tab within that zone, (no KC's exist) would be very helpful and speed workflow.
bet you would also love to have KCs behave properly, universally again, like they did pre C7.
at least most of them, you decide !
that's what started my journey with AHK, and I couldn't ever go back to vanilla Cubase.

ymmv,
Rhino
(George R.R. Martin)

keto88

Post by keto88 »

Rhino wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Can I have a listen some of you mixes?

keto88

Post by keto88 »

Bump

Return to “General”