The new 'offer' is a joke right?

Interested in Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 or Cubase Elements 10? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
sd1989

Re: The new 'offer' is a joke right?

Post by sd1989 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 am

i think its weird like they want me to buy new Cubase or get someone else to instead of upgrade mine

i already have halion from absolute

for me i just wish for fm module in halion
windows 8.1, amd fx 6300 3.5ghz , amd radeon 7850 2gb gfx card, GA-78LMT-USB3 rev 6.0 , 16 gb ram , 7200 rpm hd , behringer umc202hd, cubase 8.5 pro , absolute 3

jimmycooper

Post by jimmycooper » Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 am

Lets celebrate the anniversary..... but dont have any of the celebration cake if you are a loyal Cubase user. New customer$ only.And an upgrade isnt being expected free of charge. We are still expecting to pay for that. Just looking for a bit of a break on the price to upgrade.I understand that that sale is still to come sometime,eventually.Strange way to treat friends imho.

auggybendoggy

Post by auggybendoggy » Wed May 08, 2019 3:44 am

"It is just the Anniversary event that angers. Its a milestone for old users.
You have done offers like this many times, for old or for new users, for upgrades, for anything.
But this goes with a special event that should honor the old customers who supported the company for years.."

I tried to explain this to them but some people just don't get it. SB could easily do a sale in the middle of Aug for newcomers. But on a 10,20,30...year anniversary, include your user base, else they get disappointed. But like I said, they don't listen. They think the answer is sufficient but really it doesn't make sense to most. And yea, I agree, it is a milestone for us from the Atari St, STE, Mega ST, Falcon days. Oh well, live and learn.

Lectrosoul

Post by Lectrosoul » Wed May 08, 2019 11:13 am

Pretty Sh!tty move tbh, excluding your current and long term base on an anniversary promotion is just a bad move whatever way you want to spin it.
Steinberg marketing department did not think this one through and if they did and thought it was a good idea well then what to say?? :(

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am

It could be argued that the more paying users to the product 'may' help reduce update prices in the future of course. The last Cubase i owned was an early SX and recently Elements 8.5 up, and i've been exclusively Mac/Logic in the interim and only returned as i wanted to move to Windows for audio. Cubase (Pro) was too expensive until this offer came up and i've jumped on the bandwagon whereas i would've gone Studio One.

So, We'll all be in the same boat come upgrade date so it's not like anyones getting a better deal here as previous customers have had years of value from the product already. Personally speaking i'll probably only update as and when offers become available UNLESS the update brings something i want immediately, and of course promotions like these are done with a sales budget worked out and intended focus.

As current customers we just wait for our deals at later dates thats all, it's nothing personal, just don't forget there's many ex Cubase users out there wanting to return to the platform - from an external perspective it's doing many things right, i'll find out how right in the coming months lol.
Last edited by skijumptoes on Wed May 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gestavrakis

Post by gestavrakis » Wed May 08, 2019 11:45 am

they could simply include BOTH offers. Upgrades AND new customers... At somepoint they would do the upgrade offer netherless.
It was a golden opportunity to honor on this event also the users who supported SB for years. Everyone would be happy

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am

So, they could budget to have a 25% for all existing/new customers perhaps?, but this is a new customer push hence why they've ploughed all the savings into that market focus, and why users like me are able to return to the platform. Issues like how you deal with another dongle go out of the window at this pricing and SB are smart enough to realise that.

This is ADDITIONAL revenue to SB, reduced upgrade pricing for your existing customers would be REDUCING revenue based on targets - from a business perspective it's far different and not as simple as you think. At the end of the day there's many staff to pay.

Which is why the existing customer offers will come later off the back of this push. It's just basic economics, think of those current customers who recently upgraded how they would feel if it was 50% off 24 hours later, that's a bigger kick in the teeth. Right now, you're just envious of a deal which is bringing in more revenue that will hopefully benefit yourself further down the road.

That's my opinion anyway... But, What do i know, i've barely set foot in the door yet. :)

gestavrakis

Post by gestavrakis » Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 am
Right now, you're just envious of a deal which is bringing in more revenue that will hopefully benefit yourself further down the road.
We mentioned in almost all posts about the offer being in an anniversary event that excludes old users.
Offers like this will come eventually sooner or later and cubase users know this already.
I suggest be more polite to the people who have a different opinion than you and not be rude.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm an old cubase user and it included me so totally in the spirit of the anniversary. There's many ex-cubase users out there from the past 30 years who are looking to come back, so it makes perfect sense and very much of a 'come home' campaign in my eyes. If you've been making music for a long time then you know that pretty much everyone had gone through Cubase back in the day.

This is business, and there's staff to pay, they cannot 'simply' cut ALL revenue. It's not a charity run.

If presenting the facts and highlighting that you're envious is impolite then i sincerely apologise as i wanted to cause no personal malice towards you, but it's just facts, don't take things so personally.

gestavrakis

Post by gestavrakis » Wed May 08, 2019 12:13 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

If presenting the facts and highlighting that you're envious is impolite then i sincerely apologise as i wanted to cause no personal malice towards you, but it's just facts, don't take things so personally.
Facts are Events. What I think and why I am writing this, is not an event, its an opinion. It's how I felt when I saw it. You cannot judge my motivation of writing this as a jealously on a price reduction that will come eventually. Apology accepted.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 pm

lol you make me laugh, thanks for that :)

Sundayforsammy

Post by Sundayforsammy » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Years of loyalty betrayed, yes great offer for new users to buy Cubase at 50% price, but why do loyal users of Cubase only get an offer of 30% off a cheaper product (Halion6). Shouldn't that be offered fairly at 50% off to Loyal Cubase users. :shock: I'm losing my will to keep buying Cubase updates that don't deliver anyway. ie ARA2 support, yes I understand it will make a show in C10 but most likely won't work until CB12. I think CB10 will be my last upgrade and will be looking elsewhere soon.
Cubase Pro 9 i7 3630QM Clevo P170EM Laptop PC - 16gb ram - 128 SSD OS hard drive - 1Tb Data Hard Drive - Windows 10 home - Motu 828mk3 Audio Interface - Roland SC880 Midi module - KRK Rockit 3 monitors, Alesis DM6 drum kit and a few guitars and a broken keyboard.

robw

Post by robw » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Hmm, I see from this thread folks are receiving updates emails on other items than cubase. I'm subscribed to the newsletter but get nothing, nothing in junk email either???
Cubase 10 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i9 9900K | ASUS Z370 | 64 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA RTX2080
NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition 12 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion 6 | Composer Cloud X

ohm-ish

Post by ohm-ish » Wed May 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Happy birthday!

:D
I must agree, this was not done so nice.
That celebration email got me on a rollercoaster of emotions.
I still love Cubase though, and hope there will be an update sale soon for us faithful veterans

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 2:04 pm

robw wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm
Hmm, I see from this thread folks are receiving updates emails on other items than cubase. I'm subscribed to the newsletter but get nothing, nothing in junk email either???
It came from info@news.steinberg.net for me. And the existing users offer is part of the 'new' customers offer email (Just further down) - perhaps you just missed it or have unsubscribed from offers/news?

auggybendoggy

Post by auggybendoggy » Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Gestavrakis,
you've nailed it. For a milestone anniversary, you may want to introduce for loyalty customers - upgrade paths from lite versions to more robust - like an upgrade from Halion Sonic SE or Groove Agent SE to full HS or GA5. Do something for them.

The responses, but there are other sales - just doesn't cut it. This is a milestone and such parties should not close the doors to anyone - ESPECIALLY YOUR USER BASE.

If you say - but this is focused for newcomers, then our answer is clear - do that on a regular sale - not the milestone.

Reminds me of how Microsoft treats their user base, always cancelling their products.

HappyHippo

Post by HappyHippo » Wed May 08, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm quite surprised to see so many negative reactions to a promotion literally done to tempt new customers in joining the Steinberg world.
As stated above, there has been and there will be more offers for already existing users who can grant for them throughout the year (a.k.a. you can benefit for more than 1 offer in a year, with a considerable money saving if you sum them all up).

Marketing wise it's a logic offer: a company needs to make sure they have more and more new customers joining because it strengthen their image in the music industry, it allows them getting more feedback in to improve more and more every single product offered and, with a good end of the year profit, will allow the company focusing on the long term users creating more and more ad-hoc promotions (promotions = money loss from a company point of view. Where do they get those money back in?)

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a Cubase owner but you guys need to think from a Company point of view before thinking from a "Customer" point of view. If you benefit from 2-3 offers/promotion throughout the year you probably have saved approx 40/50% of the total cost for the same products.

As a customer, I obviously hope for more and more promotions for long term users like me and many others, but I also hope the company's finance will always be in good shape thanks to new users joining every month/year.

PS: If I really have to raise a point about the upgrades,(I guess it should be done via another Thread but still...) I'd ask why an upgrade from 6.5 to 10 would be more expensive than purchasing a full licence of Cubase 10. :idea:

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed May 08, 2019 3:00 pm

auggybendoggy wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:18 pm
The responses, but there are other sales - just doesn't cut it. This is a milestone and such parties should not close the doors to anyone - ESPECIALLY YOUR USER BASE.

If you say - but this is focused for newcomers, then our answer is clear - do that on a regular sale - not the milestone.
It's focused on FULL versions of Cubase, not specifically to do with being a 'newcomer' or closing doors on existing customers, that's being very OTT. If you want the full version at a great price - buy it, if you don't then you've been not discriminated against in any way, the offers on the table for anyone and everyone. Regardless of what anyone else buys today. none of that changes what you have and can use already.

I owned Elements since 8.5 and I've barely spent more than 2 hours with it since owning it (It's too under-specced for me), yet i've kept it yearly upgraded and alive in the hope that a cheap Pro upgrade would come around. And here it's dropped - this week i've been able to get Pro AND keep hold of Elements for a spare machine for much less than a upgrade.

What is your scenario that causes such a reaction that you feel that the door is closed on you? Are you looking at jumping from Artist to Pro? Or is it a case that you feel that Variaudio3/Audio Alignment type features aren't worth the equivalent of $8/month? (Or whatever it works out to be)

Genuinely interested, as this offer is great for so many existing owners of lesser products so it must be a specific path and price you have in mind as to what's not being delivered by SB. The Artist > Pro upgrade i can see the issue there.

Dfcosta

Post by Dfcosta » Wed May 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Dear Sirs
Sorry about my english......
The subject of my email is about Cubase's 30th birthday offering.
Unless I'm wrong, there's a bug in Steinberg's CEO brain.
I am a client of Cubase Elements 9.5, and now to my surprise, steinberg is offering Cubase full cheaper than upgrading to the same cubase.
I suppose Steinberg is suggesting that I put the Cubase in the trash I have to buy a new one.
Before that, I throw everything in the trash and buy another DAW brand.
Am I wrong in my analysis or it's a joke?

Dfcosta

Post by Dfcosta » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:01 pm
Hi guys,

I am sorry that you feel that way. But please keep in mind that there are sales promotions for the updates and upgrades every single year. Same in 2019. Plus there will be weekly deals in May on other products for registered customers as well. You are totally right, this campaign has the focus on new customers, but there will also be deals on the updates for existing Customers later this year.
I suppose it is simpler to change the DAW

rschletty

Post by rschletty » Wed May 08, 2019 3:15 pm

In the past, I was able to update to Cubase 9 and 9.5 for 40% Off – $59.99. I hope this offer comes around again. Loyal customers really should have been included in Steinberg's "30-year birthday bash" for Cubase. It's not just a joke, it's an insult to those who have helped propel their Cubase ship to success.

I also have received 40% Off offers from CCLI.com for qualifying Steinberg products. Alas, updates are not included.

I did write to Steinberg Support yesterday when this birthday celebration offer hit my mailbox. No response so far:

Subject: Cubase 30th anniversary sale not for me. I'm sad.

Dear Steinberg,

I received this happy/sad news today:

> Cubase is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year
> Unfortunately we cannot invite you all to join us for a party...

Sad because I've been hoping and waiting for another 40% Off on updates offer like I received for Cubase 9 and 9.5. You are leaving your faithful customers in the parking lot outside the party room.

Any words of hope for me? I would like to update from 9.5 to 10.

Have a great day.

Richard Schletty

SoundOf

Post by SoundOf » Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 pm

We just want a slice of the cake, as in now! We've been licking our lips, but only getting to look at it :roll: :lol:

Freebies would be nice, maybe a credit for a free upgrade, say from 9.5 to 10 or 10 to 10.5 when it comes out. Only because it's a 30 year anniversary, it's like SB has invited their Facebook friends to the party, but forgot the family! :lol:

Are you ashamed of the family SB? :P
Cubase Pro 9.5 / Reason 9.5 / Steinberg UR44 / Nektar Impact GX61 MIDI Keyboard / KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors / Rode NT1A Mic / Komplete 11 Ultimate / Reveal Sound Spire / Synthmaster 2.5 / Synthmaster One
Win 7 / Intel Core i7-3770 / Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H / 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz / Noctua Dual Radiator CPU Fan / Main Drive - Samsung SSD Pro 840 250GB / Sample Drives - 2 x Toshiba 3TB HD P300

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Damn, the Halion 30% is only for full versions too. I really wanted to upgrade...
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 9.5.10 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 7 64bit, I5 3450,16 gb ram, VEPro.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed May 08, 2019 4:48 pm

This is the INBDF in action

The assertion that current customers are excluded is incorrect. Current owners can buy a second license for half-price, a very common forum request.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | k-mix audio interface
hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Wed May 08, 2019 5:08 pm

This cynical asnswer from a mod is an insult to long time users as big as the Absolute upgrade price

Return to “Presales”