Multitrack Free Warp

July 2020. There’s a button I see, labeled “Edit Active Audio Event Only”. It seems to be the thing that would disable editing audiowarp on multiple selected tracks, but it just does nothing.

Steinberg? Steinberg?

I opened a ticket in November 2018 because the buttons seemed to allow single track editing and so I assumed to allow multi track editing. But I got a negative response from Steinberg: no multitrack freewarp possible:-(

That’s kinda sad. Ultimately it seems that it should be automatiable. Click the exact sample place… drag the same amount… repeat for all selected tracks. heck, when grouped, they already inherit the audiowarp “free warp” setting. I argue anything is possible if it’s important enough!

With that said, I did find a bit of a hack of a solution that works well enough. From the arrangement view, I can create split points and snap to “events” using the “Sizing Applies Time Stretch” option. That seems to sync all groups selections. :slight_smile:

If you put your tracks in a Group Folder and enable “Group Editing” this is supposed to permit multitrack free warp. It worked for me earler in a project when I was goofing off with temp tracks. I recorded the final acoustic guitar - L/R mono tracks + transducer = 3 tracks. The tracks were in a group folder with the feature enabled, but it failed. It only modified 1 track. Buggy crap.

What daw does have this feature?

This is a good approach that I have found

I Hope this function Will be in C11…

+1

+1

Yes me too. Fingers crossed.

+++1! I’m in total agreement here!

I’m currently using Nuendo 10.2.20. I can Multitrack warp by putting the tracks in a folder, [don’t group yet] selecting the tracks that will be the priority, creating hit points, checking and fixing missed hit points, then grouping the folder and finally head to quantize panel. When I try to quantize with audio warp the drums don’t stay phase coherent. Its ever so slight but you can hear the kick has a little less low end and the drums become a little less punchy. So for the time being I’m going to slice and dice. I can’t be bothered to export/import to another DAW.

In another post I commented on this and also said that PT has had phase coherent elastic audio for years. Someone commented that they didn’t think PT elastic audio was phase coherent and told me to use my ears.lol. I don’t use PT personally but I’ve been producer and engineer on several projects where elastic audio was used and to my best recollection it didn’t produce any phase issues like I’m hearing in Nuendo 10.

Can any one comment on there experiences with PT elastic audio?
Cheers.

+1

I’ve requested “multitrack free warp” in every Steinberg’s survey, as well as the implementation of the Wavelab’s meters in Cubase: FFT, PhaseScope, etc, and specially the 3D analysis (I love this 3D thing, and I use it a lot). It would be very useful to my workflow not to have to switch so often between Cubase and Wavelab to check correlation and frequency spectrum. Another useful thing I’ve asked for every time is the integration of a version of Dorico, instead of the Score editor. I dream to see this functions implemented before the end of my lifetime :mrgreen: .

+1

I’ve been using Cubase 9.5 and decided not to upgrade unless Steinberg adds this feature. Every time they release a new version of Cubase I’m excited and hopeful this feature would be included. But every time I’m let down. Many of the new features are completely useless compared to this. I’m even considering to changing to some other DAW. To my understanding PT does this well, but I don’t like the workflow.

hope steinberg wont multi wrap us before implementing this multi track warp :laughing:

POLL: MultiTrack FREEWARP - - vs - - MultiTrack FREEZE - if only one, which would you want

+1

As Cubase 11 is nearly upon us, I’ll reiterate my years-long enthusiasm for adding this long absent basic feature.

Worth repeating: Most every major DAW can free warp multiple tracks. They’ve had this bread-and-butter feature for years. It’s just what buyers expect a DAW can do in 2020.
Clients often ask me why I can’t free warp like they can with their own DAWs at home (Pro Tools, etc). It’s awkward, to say the least. This needs to be remedied. For those of us working with multitrack audio in 2020 (drum kits, multi-miced guitar cabs, etc, etc), it’s like building a house without a screwdriver.

Sincerely (like, really sincere… down on my knees, arms spread to the sky in hope at this point),
A.j.
Old guy and long-time loyal/legal Cubase user (since the Atari days)

1 Like

looks like steinberg makes more emphasis on features for users/composers with no musical knowledge ,but lacks more an more features for everyday tedious editing work and ease of workflow for mixing and in general that are many years in other daws

Fully agree with everything said. Multi micing guitars is a routine part of every project. If using 3 or 4 mics, you can quadruple the work involved in an already (imho) particularly painstaking and boring part of music production. I end up doing anything multimiced in Ableton - an absolute breeze for warping. Strange that Ableton, which I see more as a loopy / electro kinda DAW beats cubase (more of a linear, song writers type DAW) so much on this. Its no hyperbole to say that multi track warping really is an essential feature for a modern DAW. I often chuckle at the “right thats it I’m leaving cubase” brigade who can be funny in their huffs at what I see as minor things…but sadly I’m now finding myself (very reluctantly) getting ready for a switch of DAW if this doesnt arrive. It’ll be a pita to change, and I really hope I dont have to, (I’m a long termer like AJ), but if C11 cements itself as the wrong DAW choice for another year for people who record guitars, drums etc, then I think my loathing for spending hours nudging warp markers might finally outweigh my love of cubase. C’mon Steinberg…surely you get this? Recording anything multimiced is a completely standard technique for just about any instrument recording application. AJ’s ‘building a house without a screwdriver’ analogy is bang on. Fingers crossed for C11…its my number 1 feature request by a mile.

1 Like

Alas…
Not seeing multi track warp anywhere on the various feature lists for C11 that are emerging :frowning:
Kinda gutted!
Will keep fingers crossed regardless…