Improve The "Save As Template" Function

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Prock
Grand Senior Member

Improve The "Save As Template" Function

Post by Prock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Maybe one of these days... :roll:

My request is that a proper function for "Create a Template from an Existing Project" be implemented. During that process there could be some options that are offered in a popup dialog that would allow for saving the template with or without certain attributes (could use some suggestions for the available options).

Explanation for my request...

Creating a new template from an existing project is a fairly convoluted process and IMO is not properly documented in the CB op manual. This is because if you just hit the "Save as Template" button the saved template will refer to the existing projects media data (basically the audio files in the pool). Because of this the CB op manual states this prerequisite:

"PREREQUISITE Remove all clips from the Pool before you save the project as a template. This ensures that references to media data from the original project folder are deleted."

Well... if you did that on the original project you would be destroying that project by trashing the audio files forever :roll: .

To get around this you first must perform a "Backup Project" on the original project. This creates a project that does not refer to the original project media pool files (it has copies of the original project media pool files). Now you can delete the media pool files from the backed-up project and then hit the "Save as Template" function. Like I said, it's a convoluted process which needs to be fixed.

There are a lot of similar posts for this concern. Here is a link to mine for CB 9:
viewtopic.php?f=252&t=126626

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.0.40, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

tombuur

Re: Improve The "Save As Template" Function

Post by tombuur » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:01 pm

It looks like I am back to Cubase after many years with with annual upgrades I paid and never used. But Cubase 10 may make a difference.

Still, this template thing is ridiculous. How hard can it be for Steinberg to give us some simple options when saving a project template. Like: +/- include media, +/- include plugins.

As it is they require us to do a lot of cleaning to remove things from the template with the risk of accidentally deleting something from the original project. If afterwards you decide to change a few plugins in your template you have to go through all of this once more. Aargghh.

... Not to mention that Cubase still doesn't have track templates comprising several tracks or inline mixdown/freeze of everything that goes to a certain buss. (At least one other DAW has all of this).

PeterP_swe

Post by PeterP_swe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:00 am

+1

This is something that has caught me off guard a few times and caused problems.

gamelany

Post by gamelany » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:44 pm

+ 1

yes please.
SW: Win10 (64) , Cubase Pro (latest), WaveLab Pro (latest), GA5, AD2
HW: Intel i5/3.2GHz/16GB/Asus/SSD, Delta2496, Mackie Mixer

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:03 pm

+1000

"Save As Template" without data.

Thanks!
2012 Mac Pro 10.13.6, 24 GB RAM, Nuendo 10.1 UAD-2 Duo

sonic74

Post by sonic74 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 am

+1
Back to good old Cubase 9.5 / intel 5960x @ 4GHz / asus x99 deluxe / 64gb ddr4 @ 3000MHz / vst connect pro / vsl ensemble pro 5 / korg nanokontrol2 / spl 2control / behringer bcf-2000 / lynx aes-16e / lynx aurora 16vt / uad quad / neumann kh310 / genelec 8050a / too many plugins

currentsound

Post by currentsound » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:09 pm

+1 I always have to backup the project then remove all the audio when creating a template but sometimes I forget and wonder why the take numbers are so high in the new project that was created from the template. Time and hard drive space wasted.

mart

Post by mart » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:17 am

+1000. I’ve been asking for this for year and years now
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 9.5.5 Cubase 10.0.30, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:49 am

+1000
We are legion
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Panther

Post by Panther » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:36 pm

+ 1
Things are moving along nicely... if you're not in a hurry to get somewhere.
  • Cubase Pro 9.5.50 on Windows 7 Pro (x64)

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:41 am

+1
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Starsprinkler

Post by Starsprinkler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:24 am

+1

suntower

Post by suntower » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am

I think 'Save As Template' should basically be

'Load an empty version of this CPR but without any audio or MIDI or marker or -whatever- events and parts.'

And I literally -never- use this (cough) feature. I simply created blank CPRs and use those. That way? I -know- what will happen!

Another one of those: How can people who are sooooo smart be sooooo tone deaf? They get some things soooo right while other very simple ideas they just cannot seem to do properly. Sorry for ranting, but I'm convinced that if their developers would simply focus group for ONE FRICKIN' HOUR and took down like -ten- easy fixes, the product would literally improve 20%.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

mart

Post by mart » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm

suntower wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am
I think 'Save As Template' should basically be

'Load an empty version of this CPR but without any audio or MIDI or marker or -whatever- events and parts.'

And I literally -never- use this (cough) feature. I simply created blank CPRs and use those. That way? I -know- what will happen!

Another one of those: How can people who are sooooo smart be sooooo tone deaf? They get some things soooo right while other very simple ideas they just cannot seem to do properly. Sorry for ranting, but I'm convinced that if their developers would simply focus group for ONE FRICKIN' HOUR and took down like -ten- easy fixes, the product would literally improve 20%.
If Steinberg employed 1 person to travel and spend time observing user habits, issues, time consuming tasks, things that work well etc it would definitely be money well spent!
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 9.5.5 Cubase 10.0.30, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm

You don't have to use "back up project" first".
You can use some Key Commands to invoke "Remove unused media" then hit the [ Trash ] button in the dialog.
Then do the same with "Media - empty trash" and hit [ Remove from pool ] and finally save the project as a template.
I bet the Key Commands are available elsewhere in drop-down menus as well but I forgot where.

Still ... a proper dialog box for creating templates from projects that sound good.
Don't overlook the possibility to connect it with the hub where you eventually are going to open new projects from the templates.
Those five ridiculously useless hardcoded categories with their oversized toy icons HAVE GOT TO GO sooner or later!
No "producers" think alike and certainly not like that with Recording, Production, Scoring and some more.
Create a proper folder tree structure for users to fill with whatever tickles their fancy, and let us save empty templates from project right into this folder tree.
It would be a game changer?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

mart

Post by mart » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm

HowlingUlf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm
You can use some Key Commands to invoke "Remove unused media" then hit the [ Trash ] button in the dialog.
Then do the same with "Media - empty trash" and hit [ Remove from pool ] and finally save the project as a template.
Exactly.... what a convoluted load of things to have to do... AND it puts your audio at risk when your operating in the pool with such functions. It was a disaster for me the first time I caught with templates holding references to audio from another project !!

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:18 pm

mart wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm
HowlingUlf wrote:
Exactly.... what a convoluted load of things to have to do... AND it puts your audio at risk when your operating in the pool with such functions. It was a disaster for me the first time I caught with templates holding references to audio from another project !!
Yeah, humans should not be trusted with operations like this haha.
It would feel a lot better with a proper Template Creator!
Gothenburg, Sweden

sj1

Post by sj1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:38 pm

+ 1 for the overall proposal. Straightforward "one step" creation of templates would be quite good to have.
Cubase 10 Pro, Absolute 3, Groove Agent, Dorico, Win 10 Pro, Korg OASYS, Yamaha Motif XS, KARMA
(Cubase user since the Atari ST days)

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 am

mart wrote:
HowlingUlf wrote:
As I mentioned in my OP...
You really should do a "Backup Project" first because if you don't, and you clean up the original project as you suggest before creating a new template from it, you have effectively just trashed your project. You could clean up the backed up project as you suggest though. ;)

But we really do need this to work as per my OP including some of the good ideas others have posted.

Regards. 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.0.40, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Prock wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 am
mart wrote:
HowlingUlf wrote:
As I mentioned in my OP...
You really should do a "Backup Project" first because if you don't, and you clean up the original project as you suggest before creating a new template from it, you have effectively just trashed your project. You could clean up the backed up project as you suggest though. ;)

But we really do need this to work as per my OP including some of the good ideas others have posted.

Regards. 8-)
I assumed you had your project saved because you wanted to keep working on it after you were done creating templates and stuff, and I assumed there was some kind of auto-save running. I've never lost anything when creating templates like that and I have ... just let's say I have too many templates! :oops: :lol:
Gothenburg, Sweden

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:21 am

HowlingUlf wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm
I assumed you had your project saved because you wanted to keep working on it after you were done creating templates and stuff, and I assumed there was some kind of auto-save running. I've never lost anything when creating templates like that and I have ... just let's say I have too many templates! :oops: :lol:
Yes, both of your assumptions are correct. But now I need to ask you how you are doing it without doing a "Backup Project" first. Asking because I might be doing something unnecessary or wrong (maybe by habit) and my feature request may be moot.

I've been doing it this same way for years after I initially got screwed because I did not understand how an audio pool can get mistakenly filled and referenced to by many projects.

Here is how I save an existing project to use as a template:
1) Using a saved (possibly still working on it) project (#1) I perform a "Backup Project" on it and save it to another folder with a different name (folder and project named #2).
2) Then I open that backed up project (#2), delete all midi and audio events, clean out the pool and most likely change a few more settings so that they are more general in nature for use as a template.
3) Then I hit the "Save as Template" function to save it as a template (#3). It will be listed in the "More" section of the Steinberg Hub.
4) Then, using the windows file explorer, I delete folder (#2) and all it's contents (folder and project #2 are now deleted).
This results with me left with my original fully functional project (#1) and a new template (#3) that has a clear project window, no audio saved in the pool and, most importantly, an audio pool that is not referenced to the original project #1.

What steps do you use? I am especially interested to know the steps you use to get a template with no events in the project window and an audio pool that is not referenced to another project. Thanks ;)

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

rjmusic87

Post by rjmusic87 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 pm

+1

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm

+1
Cubase Pro 10 (Latest), i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Geforce GTX 1060 3GB

mart

Post by mart » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 pm

There should be no steps required.

Save as template should include a checkbox to include or not include media. The end

suntower

Post by suntower » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

mart wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 pm
There should be no steps required.

Save as template should include a checkbox to include or not include media. The end
Bingo.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”