Key Command Poll

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
J Buckingham

Re: Key Command Poll

Post by J Buckingham » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:56 am

[KEY COMMAND] Next Articulation.
Change articulations in the info line.
Cubase Pro 10 (Latest), i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Geforce GTX 1060

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:56 am

[KEY COMMAND] Previous Articulation.
Change articulations in the info line.
Cubase Pro 10 (Latest), i7 9800x @ 4.2GHz, 128GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Scarlett Solo, Geforce GTX 1060

cubic13

Post by cubic13 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:46 am

@J Buckingham

Just as a reminder : you are NOT alone. Having done already 19 posts in this poll is enough, don't you think ? There are probably other users with legitimate requests that maybe want to intervene here, but won't have the time to do so, thanks to your 'active' contribution. So, could you please stop flooding this thread ?

Thanks in advance... :roll:
DAW : i7-870 (HT enabled) - Asus P7P55D-E - 16 Gb DDR3-1600 - 2 x WD Black Caviar 1 Tb - Radeon 6450 GPU (512 Mb) - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64) / RME Fireface UCX + Behringer ADA8200
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase 6.5.5 (64), Cubase Pro 9.5.50 & 10.0.40 / Emulator X3 & several VSTis
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Pre-MIDI stuff.

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm

This seems not to have been a good idea. I will postpone this poll for now and think about a better way to collect the ideas.
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

currentsound

Post by currentsound » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Ok, let us know.

How about time delayed macro/multiple key commands per key?

You can see how this guy does something similar via Eucon touchscreen buttons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYVOS8dnYb8
Which is more powerful than the built in key command functionality of Cubase as it can already execute macro key commands in order. Except, Eucon also doesn't have time delay functionality so he had to make two buttons to press as a work around to make touchscreen buttons to add a instrument track preset.

Since Eucon can input key commands, if we could create macro key commands with time delays that key command could also be assigned to Eucon if desired too.

I also like the idea of adding clickable Macro Key commands button to the lower zone of Cubase which can be clicked on or touched if you have a touch screen monitor. It would make doing things a lot faster. That way you can have lots of different macro key commands.

Pablo1980

Post by Pablo1980 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:34 pm
This seems not to have been a good idea. I will postpone this poll for now and think about a better way to collect the ideas.
That´s sad Matthias, why don´t we stick with the posts that followed the guidelines (it appears that some members doesn´t know how to properly read instructions). I think that a keycommand overhaul would be very beneficial to cubase, and having a poll like we did with feature requests could be useful.

We just need to stick to "[KEY COMMAND] description" and then vote. Not too hard
Film Composer - Argentina

Intel 9990k - Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390 - 64gb ram - Motu 24ao - Steinberg MR816x (2)
Windows 10 64bit - Cubase 10 Pro - Vepro 7 (two slaves)

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:44 pm

I'd imagine that Key Commands are generally very low development effort, at least compared to the other FR poll where there were some very large enhancements. So if there were 50 key commands requested, I'd say bundle 25 and do them in the next release and another 25 for the release after that. Assuming there's a good use-case for each, and I'm not way off on the development effort.

RichardTownsend

Post by RichardTownsend » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi Matthias,

How about simply asking individuals to post one request each?
2014 MacBook Pro 15", 16Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 2Tb CIE Rugged External HD, Mojave, Cubase 10.5.x, Dorico 3.x, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, NI Kontrol 6, Neumann KH120 monitors, Focal Elear phones, NI Komplete 12, Omnisphere, Kontakt libraries, Serum, Superior Drummer 3

Starsprinkler

Post by Starsprinkler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Not sure if voting about key commands are very useful...
Another approach may be that Steinberg just have a look at the suggestions and consider what makes sense to implement and what does not.

Joe90

Post by Joe90 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:59 am

Load 'X' insert (+ 'X' preset) in next available slot on selected channel.
Cubase 10 Pro, Studio One 4, Windows 10x64, i9 9900k, RME UCX

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Pablo1980 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 pm
That´s sad Matthias, why don´t we stick with the posts that followed the guidelines (it appears that some members doesn´t know how to properly read instructions). I think that a keycommand overhaul would be very beneficial to cubase, and having a poll like we did with feature requests could be useful.

We just need to stick to "[KEY COMMAND] description" and then vote. Not too hard
+1.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
DAW: Cubase 7.5 64-bit (and SONAR X2 64-bit)
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:24 am

[KEY COMMAND] Glue tool
christiandavismusic.com
Cubase 10 _ Mac Pro 10,1_12-Core 128gb ram _ UA Apollo _ RME Fireface UFX _ UAD-2 Octo Ultimate _ Vienna Ensemble Pro _ Too Many Samples!!

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am

[KEY COMMAND] For each "line type" (straight/parabola) line tool
Last edited by cbdmusic on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
christiandavismusic.com
Cubase 10 _ Mac Pro 10,1_12-Core 128gb ram _ UA Apollo _ RME Fireface UFX _ UAD-2 Octo Ultimate _ Vienna Ensemble Pro _ Too Many Samples!!

cbdmusic

Post by cbdmusic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am

[KEY COMMAND] Show part borders
christiandavismusic.com

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:27 pm

dmbaer wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 pm
Key command to reposition view (project or MIDI editor) for optimal editing. That is, place the cursor about 20% from left margin at current zoom setting so that most of the editable area is to the right of the cursor.
I use a macro for this that includes:
Open Key Editor
Zoom Out
Zoom Out
Zoom In
Zoom In
Zoom To Selection

This centres the cursor. But you could always add a few 'Nudge Cursor Left' in the mix to get it where you want it.

McBass

Post by McBass » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Keycommand for 'close all racks' in mixconsole. You can use keycommands to open/close eq, sends, inserts, channel strip, etc. but no way to close them all at once. So no easy way to make a macro to open a rack of your choice.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:34 am

McBass wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:33 pm
Keycommand for 'close all racks' in mixconsole. You can use keycommands to open/close eq, sends, inserts, channel strip, etc. but no way to close them all at once. So no easy way to make a macro to open a rack of your choice.

Mixer- Expand Channel Strip
Mixer- Expand EQs
Mixer- Expand Inserts
Mixer- Expand Sends
Mixer- Expand Routing
Mixer- Show/Hide Channel Racks

McBass

Post by McBass » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:38 pm

Yup but that requires you to keep the rack headers open and that takes up screen real estate. My way is cleaner, but I must first close an open rack before opening another for a clean look requiring two button presses. With my requested keycommand you could change them in one press. Or you can open a set of them such as inserts and sends together in one key press.
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Basically, Steinberg needs to replace every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC with seperate commands. ;)
When we use a macro we want a condition to exist regardless of what state or condition existed prior to the macro.

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm

J Buckingham wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:09 pm
Basically, Steinberg needs to replace every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC with seperate commands. ;)
When we use a macro we want a condition to exist regardless of what state or condition existed prior to the macro.
Woah, I think "replacing every" toggle with separate on/off key commands is ignoring the instances where a toggle is prefered. You probably didn't mean "replacing every" and instead meant "add on/off commands in addition to toggles," but in case you did, let me remind you that there are a few use cases here that all need some accounting for:

1. "I want a single key command to toggle on/off when I'm working in a project" (most common - I'd say this is probably 90% of the use cases for something like snap). Also, think of it this way, most users would view two key commands for Snap On and Snap Off as wasteful compared to a single toggle. If everything worked that way by default, we'd have fewer available key commands because we'd have to double all the toggles, memorize two key commands, etc.

2. "I'm programing a macro and it depends on the state of a feature being on or off, so I want specific, seperate on/off key commands to make the macro work regardless of current state" (good use-case). For the subset of users that extensively use macros, not having separate on and off commands can be a big deal. Makes sense to add these.

3. "I'm working in my project and a toggle doesn't cut it because I can't keep track of the current state so I want separate on/off key commands and all users should be forced to work the way I do" (certainlythe least common). Sure, there may be a few users requesting a separate Snap On/Off for use outside of macros, but I think this is the exception and not the rule. If J to toggle Snap were replaced with J to turn it on and Shift+J to turn it off, for example, that's going to 1) force a huge change to existing workflows, while being 2) less efficient and more wasteful (2 separate key commands vs 1) while 3) decreasing ease of use and 4) being outside of the norms of other DAWs.

Now, if you "add separate on/off key commands in addition to toggles" you can allow users to account for all 3 use-cases as they see fit. If you "replace toggles with separate on/off key commands" you don't account for #1 at all and actually make the product worse.

So I think we can all agree we don't want to replace every toggle.

J Buckingham

Post by J Buckingham » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm

Steinberg needs to provide a way for us to replace every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC with seperate commands. ;)

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Would like to see a Key Command for "Pre Roll only when Record"... great for voice over. (this would also good in prefs with a checkbox !)
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

dmbaer

Post by dmbaer » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 pm

J Buckingham wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:27 pm
dmbaer wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 pm
Key command to reposition view (project or MIDI editor) for optimal editing. That is, place the cursor about 20% from left margin at current zoom setting so that most of the editable area is to the right of the cursor.
Open Key Editor
Zoom Out
Zoom Out
Zoom In
Zoom In
Zoom To Selection

This centres the cursor. But you could always add a few 'Nudge Cursor Left' in the mix to get it where you want it.
The point is not to change the cursor position. The point is to position the view so that most of what you see is to the right of the cursor. We rarely edit things to the left of the cursor because hitting play does not audition the edits. Thus, positioning the cursor ~20% distance from the left margin provides a useful ~80% of the view in the "editable" region.
David Baer

Hardware: Intel I7 4-core hyper-threaded; 8M RAM; Dual hard drives; Roland Quad Capture
DAW: Cubase 7.5 64-bit (and SONAR X2 64-bit)
Synths and effects: More than I care to contemplate, but only the 64-bit stuff ever gets used

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 pm

J Buckingham wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm
Steinberg should add seperate commands for every Show/Hide, On/Off and Activate/Deactivate KC. ;)
FTFY. ;)

DRDRDR

Post by DRDRDR » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Agreed.

"The one person = one (or another specific number of) vote(s)" makes sense when voting, not when collecting ideas. The more ideas, the merrier (including those who think otherwise of course). J Buckingham is obviously inspired and knows his Key Commands so let the man speak his heart!

Here are some wishes:

Key Command to enter directly the TEXT (lyrics of a note) dialog slot
Key Command to enter directly the NAME (of a part) dialog slot
Key command to move tracks up and down
Key Command to put at track in first place/last place of all tracks
Key Command Show/Hide Part Borders
Key Command "Glue Selected" without the need to aim with a tool
Key Command Show/Hide History (by Toggle!)
Key Command Reload Track Preset (when a huge template goes crazy so I can chain these in a macro and not lose precious minutes each time)
Key Command Turn Tracks into Lanes of a Single Track
Key Command Duplicate Lane

And since Key Commands, Macros and Logical Editors are closely connected, I'll go even further back:
viewtopic.php?f=228&t=97366

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”