Cubase Forum Feature Request Poll - AUGUST 2019 - RESULTS ONLINE

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Matthias Quellmann

Re: Cubase Forum Feature Request Poll - AUGUST 2019 - RESULTS ONLINE

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:10 pm

The results are online:
viewtopic.php?f=285&t=166652
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Billy Indigo

Post by Billy Indigo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am

My Feature Requests:
(in no order of importance) sorry for the long list, I love Cubase but it's a long time coming and I feel I deserve the right to get heard on some of these. I teach people cubase quarterly and have gotten probably over 400 copies sold to students and friends of mine just because I believe it is one of the better DAWs. These are just some add-ons to already great features and some new ones and some may sound like complaints which I guess they are lol
Also I wanted to focus mostly on featuers that I didn't see on the forum or list as much. Here are the ones that come to mind right now....

DONGLE FREE DAW
-In this day and age I already need 5 to 6 ports for my music production set up and I literally had to buy another USB hub that plugs into another USB Hub just because of Cubase and it's Dongle. Also one time I missed out on $600 and lost a client because my dongle got damaged on the day of a live choir/ marching band recording. After that day I bought Ableton because if something happens to your dongle it could be up to a weeks wait to get a new one and get back to work. I could't get ahold of steinberg so I had to go to guitar center which ended up closing, so then I finally found one close. Went there and they couldn't find my receipt in the system to transfer the license to the new one. It took me a week to get back up and running. USB slots should be used for tasks like hard drives and hard ware not for a one copy key that allows me use something I've paid a lot on money for over the years. You can't even have multiple copies. Imagine having one house key that you could never lose or copy. lol You're locked out if you lose it and have to figure out how to get a new one made before you could get in.

ALL-IN-ONE UNDO AND HISTORY
Right now there are three different methods for undo and it can get confusing remembering which one is which. It would make the most sense to have command Z and history be linked to any and every edit. For instance, if I do clip gain on an audio event, Command Z will undo it. If I do an eq edit, command Z won't undo it I instead have to open up history to undo it. Then if I make a volume change on a fader I then have to open up mix console undo if I can even remember how to find it. This is a huge cramp in my workflow and sometimes I'll load a vst make a bunch of edits then hit undo thinking it will undo the edit I made but instead it deletes the whole VST because command Z doesn't work for everything.

UNDO AND REDO FOR THE SAMPLER
Right now there is only A/B which makes me use 3rd party samplers almost everytime.

GROUPED SAMPLER WINDOWS
being able to have multiple samplers in one window similar to FL STUDIO or Maschine and Pad Mode/Keyboard Mode. Where you can have middle C as the main lane for notes but you can click a button to open the piano roll for any sampler in the window. Also, the ability to randomly hot-swap samples in each sampler or bank in groove agent and select a different folder to hot swap from for each track. Let's say you select your snare folder for snare, kick for kick etc... then hit shuffle and it can hot-swap for whatever tracks you have selected.

PLUGINS IN THE LOWER ZONE
The ability to open and edit one or multiple plugins in the lower zone as well as still using a floating window as an option.

GLOBAL GAIN
A gain knob or feature that allows you to lower the gain of every single track in the project that you can select by audio, instrument, midi, group etc...

GLOBAL A/B BUTTON
where you can switch between two different snapshots.

MID SIDE FOR ANY PLUGIN
I believe you can do this in Wavelab but it would be nice to do in Cubase as well.

AUDIO TO MIDI FOR CHORDS
You can do this with solo melodies but I'm not sure you can do it with chords yet.

QUICK ARRANGER
Imaging being able to open "QUICK ARRANGER" in the right or left zone, highlight whatever you want in the timeline and drag that to the quick arranger zone window and labeling it whatever you like for later arrangement. Only what you had selected gets dropped into that section with mutes and edits applied.It wouldn't add all the extra things to your timeline like arranger track or copies of different sections dragged off down the timeline. It would be a great way to arrange for me instead of selecting the range of audio, adding an arranger track, labeling it by sections, then arranging in a seperate section. It takes up a lot of space on screen and can get confusing. With the smart arranger you can litereally just shift+select any events in the timeline and drag them to a different zone and label that intro, verse, chorus etc...

RESAMPLING INPUT
A quicker way to re-record and resample audio. Right now you have to add a group, route an audio tracks output to that group then add another audio track and select the group as it's input to resample. It would be much easier to just have a "resampling" option in any tracks input and be able to just solo whatever you want to resample and record that to the track with "resampling" as it's input.

FX BANKS
similar to Audio Effect Racks in Ableton where you can add multiple FX to have their own chain and separate the signal with low, mid and hi EQ if you'd like.

CLIPS AND IDEAS
An alternative creative section like Abletons Session view and Maschines Ideas view with clips of some sort. I really like creating with clips in that way and it helps create very quick ideas.

SMART DRAW TOOL
A Draw tool similar to the drum tool but inside the piano roll. Something that can click on to add and click on to delete notes and also drag across the grid to enter notes within a certain grid value. Right now you have to use a pencil tool to enter a note but have to go back to pointer to select and delete.

EXPANDED PIANO ROLL OPTIONS
More options for the notes in the piano roll similar to FL or breaktwearker. Being able to right click to select Strum, fill every note to loop, fill in 2 step pattern to loop etc... Also being able to click on any note in piano roll and further edit that like time division, triplet or pitch drop etc like in break tweaker.

SCALE HIGHLIGHT
Highlighting scales in the piano roll so you can know where notes are in a scale with just the click of a button. Also applying the midi scale effect in the input transformer to also work in the piano roll so no matter what you click on, it's in that key. Right now it only works for midi controllers not in piano roll.

VERTICAL PIANO ROLL
The Option for a Vertical Piano roll with the timeline moving from up to down instead of left to right. I haven't seen it yet in any daw but piano apps and lessons teach this way. It could be a great tool for learning because that's the easiest way to read upcoming notes as if you're looking at your piano instead of a sideways view of it.

PLUGIN WINDOW DROPPING
The ability to drag and drop a plugin from it's floating edit window to either a new FX track or into a tracks insert. Let's say you have an EQ's edit window open and you're making tweaks and you want that same EQ on another track... You can just drag the window to another track instead of opening the lower mix console, finding the track and dragging it to the new one.

EXPANDED SNAPSHOTS
Snapshots that apply to every edit including clip gain, automation, audio event editing and or vari audio. Basically any and every edit covered under snapshot would be amazing.

ONE CLICK BROWSER SEARCHING
If you try Studio One you will notice how fast it is to select things in the browser. Everything is opened with one click not a double click or clicking on an arrow to drop down next folder. Imagine just clicking one on the folder and it opens it instantaneously.

EXPANDED EXPORT OPTIONS
The option to select different options for each track in export. Where you can select stereo, mono, with send FX, Dry et... And then export it all at once instead of exporting all mono, then going back for all stereo, then going back to solo the tracks you want to export with Send FX individually.

SCALABLE PROJECT SIZE
Right now you can only do this in your computers settings but in programs like Ableton you can open preferences and scale the whole project by percentage.

OPTION TO CHANGE INDIVIDUAL KEY COMMANDS TO DEFAULT
Right now you can only change all of your key commands back to default. Sometimes I want to just see what the original one was for one and not all of the ones I changed.

UNDO AND HISTORY
Right now there are three different methods for undo and it can get confusing remembering which one is which. It would make the most sense to have command Z and history be linked to any and every edit. For instance, if I do clip gain on an audio event, Command Z will undo it. If I do an eq edit, command Z won't undo it I instead have to open up history to undo it. Then if I make a volume change on a fader I then have to open up mix console undo if I can even remember how to find it. This is a huge cramp in my workflow and I've been using other daws just because it does't delete the last VST I loaded when I hit commade Z to undo a VST change. Also, there is no Undo at all for the Sampler. Please make an Undo or history for the sampler and not just an A/B

SIZABLE OR SMALLER FUNCTIONS IN TOP AND BOTTOM BAR
Maybe even have a small clickable box with the name of whatever it is like, transport, tools, state buttons etc... then when you click on that it opens to edit. You can keep any of them open and scale the size of them but to have them be foldable would be nice. I find myself spending a lot of time trying to make room for the State Buttons then trying to find the Follow Curser button and Grid Values etc...

EDIT AUDIO AND MIDI IN ONE WINDOW - editing multiple audio and midi clips within one window. Also being able to limit editing to just one window for all edits if you want. For instance, if I'm editing two midi clips, sometimes I want to draw in a note at the exact same place as another note and when I click alt+click to draw a note, it turns into the scissors to cut the note on grayed out track I wasn't editing.

EASIER WAY TO UNINSTALL AND REMOVE EVERYTHING - sometimes I get bugs that I don't want to spend time troubleshooting but I'd rather just delete and reinstall but I find trouble finding everything and when I do install all of the content is still hidden somewhere. It would be nice to have a simple uninstall all content and documents without removing projects.

nonchai

Post by nonchai » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:03 pm

I'd really like to see Steinberg make their own VST plugin hosting server - able to make such operation - particularly with controllers more seamless than Vienna Ensemble Pro.

Also - exposing an API to Native Instruments developers of the KOMPLETE KONTROL controller ( mk3 ) would allow NI to support a wider set of features such as MIDI display and editing on the controller keyboard itself similarly as to what the controllers do for Maschine.

I also think that although Cubase is very customisable - far as I know this doesn't stretch to how menus are arranged. Currently due to gradual features being added they are confusing. For example different kinds of settings and preferences are all over the place - some under studio, some under EDIT some in the preferences area.

It would be great to have the option of being able to easily flip to ABLETON style operation for all key shortcuts and mouse operations , or logic.

But I'd say the Ableton option might be more useful as I suspect there's plenty of people here who use both Ableton and Cubase - and being able to do MIDI edit operations consistently in both tools would save a lot of confusion.

One thing from Ableton that really needs adding MIDI edit wise is the ability to audition MORE THAN ONE NOTE as one drags the mouse over them. In ableton one can audition a chord simply by dragging the mouse selection area over them.

Another. aspect of Ableton that has really benefited third party developers of add-ons. - is the Max4Live Ableton API for object-levels control of most aspects of the Ableton data and metadata. I believe one can do this via python scripts for example.

There are great tools like TouchAble for iOS and Android which make use of this API to allow tablet based control and display of all the significant aspects of the SESSION page in Ableton.

Being able to accès such a deep area of granularity for Cubase would be valuable too.

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:20 am

Hi there!
The most important feature standing on front from others is - HiDPI and scaling capabilities! If you wouldn't apply this fix, I throw your DAW to garbage, because I can't even run it.
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

J-S-Q

Post by J-S-Q » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 pm

I missed this poll unfortunately but if there was anything in it relating to improved Eucon functionality, that would have been top of my list!
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

Glorian_Gray

Post by Glorian_Gray » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:57 am

New day - new issue with C_PRO_10!

Look, Steinberg! I want to make a crazy glide notes with my 808, but your sampler's glide knob is useless!
I just move it down or high, and it produce shitty glides! This doesn't fits my production needs! I know I could do these thing with mod. wheel cc command inside key editor, but I don't want to! I don't need to waste my time drawing those lines!

Look, mates Could you make NORMAL GLIDE functionality in your SAMPLER TRACK?! Like it did Studio One and Frutty Loops!

Guys, your DAW use not only rockers that record their guitars, but also EDM/HH producers that need FRESH and FUNCTIONAL midi features!
Cubase Pro 10 | Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz | 8Gb Memory | 1TB Solid State Drive | Windows 10 Pro (1903)| Steinberg UR22 Audio Interface

Juice

Post by Juice » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:12 pm

To finally implement Phase Coherent Multitrack Free Warping!
Nuendo 10
Nuendo 8
Nuendo 6.0.5
Nuendo 3
Cubase 3
Mac OSX 10.12.6, 48GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Antelope Orion 32+
RND 5088 32 Channel Console

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”