Cubase Forum Feature Requests Poll August 2019

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Nikkin

Re: Cubase Forum Feature Requests Poll August 2019

Post by Nikkin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm

I absolutely appreciate such a way of Communication with all users.
I am wondering why storing meta data with the project is not in the list.
Isn‘t it waste of time for so many users to type them in for every audio export ?
I can‘t believe
PC: Intel i7-7800X @ 3.5 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, 3 Samsung SSDs (je 1x Windows + Programme, Sound Libraries, Audio-/Videoproduktion) + Harddisks (Backups)
OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64Bit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 Grafikkarte
Audio: UAD Apollo X8, Allen & Heath Qu24
SW: Cubase 10 Pro, Halion Sonic, Halion 6, Absolute 3, Toontrack ezdrummer 2 + Superior drummer 3, Pianoteq Stage, Peavey Revalver 4 Amp Simulation, iZotope Ozone 7, Waves Musicians Plugins, WaveLab Elements, Magix Video Deluxe Premium

currentsound

Post by currentsound » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks for doing the survey. I think it is a good step in the right direction for the company and something that should continue.

I like how the survey asked if the user used Cubase as a hobby or as a professional because professional users and hobbiests often want different things but I believe that the list should collect the top 50 order from hobbiests, the top 50 order from professionals and then combine them together to make an ultimate top 50.

The issue is that there are more people using Cubase as a hobby than they are as a professional so results that might rank high for professionals, could rank low as for example, "External Controller integration improvements" which would probably be a high ranking item for professionals who use Cubase in a recording and/or mixing studio as they are more likely to have control surfaces, ranks low as most hobbyists do not have a control surface and speed is less of an issue to them. As well as other speed related enhancements.

I would suggest going one step further with the survey and specifying the type of audio professional, post production, electronic music production, recording studio -band, recording studio -artists, film composer, etc... And allowing a user to select more than one category but maybe their vote is weighting is divided among the categories so that if you're in 4 categories, your weighting is divided by 4 but even better would be to allow the voter to allocate their percentage doing each task and have the total equal 100. This then splits their votes into the sub categories of professional user.

This way, all demographics are being met.

Also it would be good for people to be able to subscribe to be notified when a future feature request survey is available so that we can make sure we don't miss it.

tepa

Post by tepa » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:42 pm

I missed the poll as i became mainly a Nuendo user.
I see some midi request in that list but iam not sure what "8 General improvements to MIDI Editor" & "9 Smart tools for MIDI editing" means because "6 Bezier curves in MIDI editor" is some kind of smart midi tools, no ? Or does it means new midi tools like some new midi modulators, like LFO, Envelop shaper... ?

"16 Modulators like LFOs for all parameters" does it means midi modulators like CC LFO (and CC controller) that can control all parameters (of different vst/i at the same time ?), to me it sound like a "MIDI MACRO CONTROL" that control Knobs/Parameters witch is also what "45 Multi quick control" means to me.
I ask this question to myself because i can already simply "control all parameter" of one vst/i with an LFO.....

Personally i would have been very confused in that poll as iam interest in midi area improvement (midi macro control, new midi tools and improvement of already existing one, etc...), i wouldn't be sure what to choose between them.
Nuendo 10 (last version) / Cubase 9 / Win Pro 10 / i9-9900K 4.8 Ghz / RAM 32G / RME UFX / RME FF800 / UAD 2 (1 Octo & 1 Quad) / SSD / nVIDIA

fese

Post by fese » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:41 pm

So we can expect these to be implemented in 10.5 this fall? :mrgreen:
As always with those polls, there's some I agree with and some that are not relevant to me.

An idea for future polls: maybe focus a bit more on one major topic of Cubase, e.g. MIDI, Audio, Mixer and so on.
The request in this one were from all over the place, maybe be a bit more specific, e.g. "general improvements to the MIDI editor" is rather vague,
make a poll only about the MIDI editor and corresponding feature/change requests.

valsolim

Post by valsolim » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 pm

There are four options how to deliver no. 3 & 4 (Chord Detection & Polyphonic Audio Editing):

1. several years of in-house research
2. license the algorithms from a third party
3. buy a start-up company with their own solution
4. improve ARA integration and let Melodyne do its magic

I would definitely vote for the fourth option 😉
--
Miloslav
Cubase Pro 9.5, Dorico Pro 2, HALion 6, WaveLab Pro 9.5, Windows 10, Plogue Bidule, Cognitone Synfire, Celemony Melodyne, MeldaProduction, ToneBoosters, Voxengo, Steinberg MR816csx, Presonus DigiMax FS, ART HeadAmp 6 Pro, IK Multimedia ARC 2, Adam Audio A7X + Sub10, AKG K271 mkII, TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, Steinberg UR22, Audix D2, D4, D6, i5, ADX-51, Sennheiser e614, 2x Shure SM137, Røde NT1-A, DPA 4099 S/U, Roland FC-300, Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX49

ensoniq_ts10

Post by ensoniq_ts10 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 am

Yikes, I missed the poll.
Only feature I would wish for cubase is the dual latency mode like Presonus Studio One “Z” mode and Logic X low latency mode.
Since it’s impossible to monitor thru latent plugins in cubase without inaudible latency
windows 10 x64. Cubase 10.0.30 x64. overclocked i7-8700k. 32GB ram. 2x 2TB m.2 nvme SSDs

valsolim

Post by valsolim » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 am

ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:48 am
Only feature I would wish for cubase is the dual latency mode like Presonus Studio One “Z” mode and Logic X low latency mode.
Since it’s impossible to monitor thru latent plugins in cubase without inaudible latency
Hardware "Z" monitoring in S1 is already present in Cubase, where it is named "Direct Monitoring". The list of supported interfaces for this feature may differ between S1 and Cubase, though. But beware, if you want to monitor through software plugins, you cannot use neither "Z" monitoring nor "Direct Monitoring", this is principally the same limitation.
--
Miloslav
Cubase Pro 9.5, Dorico Pro 2, HALion 6, WaveLab Pro 9.5, Windows 10, Plogue Bidule, Cognitone Synfire, Celemony Melodyne, MeldaProduction, ToneBoosters, Voxengo, Steinberg MR816csx, Presonus DigiMax FS, ART HeadAmp 6 Pro, IK Multimedia ARC 2, Adam Audio A7X + Sub10, AKG K271 mkII, TC Electronic Konnekt 24D, Steinberg UR22, Audix D2, D4, D6, i5, ADX-51, Sennheiser e614, 2x Shure SM137, Røde NT1-A, DPA 4099 S/U, Roland FC-300, Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX49

jimzepellin

Post by jimzepellin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am

Just wondering why the list above has changed from the original listing when the results first came in?
viewtopic.php?f=285&t=165135
If in doubt scream and shout.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:32 am

Different months

Starsprinkler

Post by Starsprinkler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:35 am

jimzepellin wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:55 am
Just wondering why the list above has changed from the original listing when the results first came in?
viewtopic.php?f=285&t=165135
It's two different polls.

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:07 pm

noiseboyuk wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:38 pm
The Elf wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 am
I'm similarly bemused that video export is high on the list. I would prefer Steinberg avoid that rabbit hole and concentrate on audio-related features. There are plenty of video editors out there to satisfy that need.
Export to video isn't anything like a video editor, nor a rabbit hole. It's a basic requirement for those working with video to be able to export.

MrSoundman (on the same subject) - Cubase is still very much one of the most-used, if not THE most used - DAW for professional composers. I don't know of any who have swapped DAWs just because this feature has been missing for a couple of versions, though it most definitely has been a PITA to work round this.
unless I'm misreading it all ...

There used to be a feature called "Replace audio in video" on the file menu and I guess that's what "Export to video" means.
That was a very useful quick and dirty way to just do that, replace audio in video.
Import video to the video track, split off the audio to an audio track, write music and export all of it as a video with audio.
No bells and whistles or any other kind of video editing.
That was all of a sudden dropped when Apple also all of a sudden killed Quicktime.
It worked!!!
sop now people want it back! That's all 8-)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:34 pm

valsolim wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 pm
There are four options how to deliver no. 3 & 4 (Chord Detection & Polyphonic Audio Editing):

1. several years of in-house research
2. license the algorithms from a third party
3. buy a start-up company with their own solution
4. improve ARA integration and let Melodyne do its magic

I would definitely vote for the fourth option 😉
--
Miloslav
I'm with you. It seems like a such a complex development effort and there's already a terrific solution in Melodyne. I get it. People want something on par with Melodyne's polyphonic editing for free, but I'd rather Cubase focus on more fundamental DAW tasks and leave the magical processing algorithms to other companies.

soundngin

Post by soundngin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:28 pm

In_Stereo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:46 am
Thanks for sharing, Matthias.

Interesting. I must admit I'm stunned that something like "show volume/pan in track headers" is so low on the list, though it might be that some people that have only used Cubase (and no other DAW) don't know what a big and immediate workflow speed enhancer this is for nearly everybody (aside from those who want to see the least possible amount of things in the track headers). Also that Free Warp and Vari Audio in the project window, and Automation saved with Track Versions are so low is surprising to me.

As anyone else will be, I'm happy about some things in the top 10 and disappointed that others are so low in the list, but c'est la vie -- not everyone will ever be happy. Pretty bummed that gapless audio is now not in the Top 10 anymore, because it feels like such a significant advantage when you use other DAWs and experience it. Hopefully it's in the works anyway (I'm assuming it is), so that Cubase can be up-to-date with other DAWs.
Multitrack Free Warp is a request going on for just about 7 years now. I'm thinking, is the majority of Cubase users doing mostly midi and vsti work? I am surprised by the ranking too. Given the timeline history, looks like I may need to invest in a secondary DAW for handling the audio as I do primarily audio heavy projects along with many tracks of midi and vsti's.
MacBook Pro 10.13.6, Cubase 10.0.10, 2x UR824, Absolute 3

Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:09 pm
And here are the results for August 2019. Thanks to everyone who participated! The result are calculated by the rank and the number of votes (Rank 1 => 10 points, Rank 2 => 9 points, Rank 10 => 1 point). What do you think about the results? Any surprises?
I like the results. It's hard not to when the 50 items on it are all such good suggestions. I was moderately surprised by some of the rankings, but it was a very difficult survey to complete since there were so many attractive items on the list and we could only pick 10...
1 Move tracks within the MixConsole
I strategically did not vote for this because I knew it would rank highly but I'll be very happy to see it implemented.
2 Export to Video
Bravo! I wanted this but didn't expect it to do so well.
3 Chord Detection from audio
When I first saw this on the list I got excited but decided not to vote for it because it's in Melodyne and I never got round to using it. Before reading this thread I was against this being integrated, but I've changed my mind. I hope Steinberg prioritise this because I know it's attractive to first time buyers and I want Steinberg to sell more copies of Cubase so that they can expand operations.
4 Polyphonic audio editing
Ditto. I'll rarely (if ever) use it, but I'm not surprised that it's popular and I really want them to implement it.
5 Stereo effects on mono channels
One of my personal favourites that I'm pleasantly surprised to see did so well.
6 Bezier curves in MIDI editor
I didn't vote for this even though I want it because I knew it would do well. Very happy to see this in the top 10.
7 Open all Plug-ins of one track in one Window with tabs
Before the poll I didn't know I wanted this, but now I really do.
8 General improvements to MIDI Editor
Another personal favourite. I was a little surprised this did so well, but I suppose Cubase is good for people who value high grade MIDI editing, so this result makes sense.
9 Smart tools for MIDI editing
Same as above.
10 Automation shown directly on tracks
I took this off my vote because it's rather cosmetic IMO, I wouldn't personally get that much workflow value out of it.
11 Gapless Audio Engine
I didn't vote for this because I didn't understand what it was, but now that I do, I wish I had voted for it.
12 Scalability of the user interface
I didn't vote for this, but it's sn inevitable progression, surely?
13 Multitrack Audio Warp
Not on my radar.
14 Improved zoom and scroll bars
Quite an unsexy feature, but one I'd very much welcome.
15 Full coloured tracks in the MixConsole
I'm too boring for things like this.
16 Modulators like LFOs for all parameters
I wanted this to do better but I'm not shocked that it didn't. 16 is respectable, still.
17 Multiple Track Freeze / Unfreeze
That used to bug me, but I don't use Freezing much these days.
18 Customizable right click menu
Would love this but it's far from top priority.
19 Smart Tool (Range/Select Tool)
Not sure I understand what this means.
20 Analog MixConsole emulation
I can't imagine this sounding how I'd want it to sound so I'm not especially keen but I'd probably use it if it came.
21 Improved Import Tracks from Project function
I really wanted this to do better since the import dialogue is a bit decrepit.
22 New Arpeggiator
Guilty pleasure: I think the apreggiators could do with a refresh. Look at what Retrologue 2 can do, my word!!
23 Multiple VST Instruments in one Instrument Track
Not sure the point of this but it sounds fun.
24 Improved integration of Dorico.
I don't have much use for Dorico in my line of work, but it makes sense.
25 Audio Export with Send and Master effects
If only!
26 MixConsole Snapshots including automation
I'm fairly upset that this didn't rank higher. Am I the only one using automation?
27 Plug-in Sandboxing
It's cool on paper, but I can't think of any serious real world benefits for me personally.
28 Automation saved with TrackVersions
Again, I'm disappointed that this is in the bottom half of the results. Where are my brothers and sisters in automation?
29 External Controller integration improvements
Low desire for me personally, but I'd definitely use it happily if it came.
30 Multiple active projects simultaneously
This could open up some interesting possibilities.
31 Horizontal mouse wheel should scroll the mix console
I expected this to do much better but I'm not too bothered that it didn't.
32 Expression Maps UX improvements
Again, feels like an inevitable, natural progression.
33 Renaming Plug-ins in Plug-in Manager (Alias)
I don't care for this, but I have a cool workaround.
34 VariAudio in Project Window
Nice to have but I wouldn't upgrade just for that.
35 Slicing in Sampler Track
I really want this, but Groove Agent SE has it already, right?
36 Track Header with Volume, Pan, Inserts & Sends
I thought this would do better, though I didn't vote for it.
37 Loop based production features (like clip launcher)
Not for me, thanks!
38 Free Warp On Project Window
Mildly interesting IMO.
39 Audio Connections overhaul for external FX and instruments
I didn't have high hopes, but I'd love to see this implemented. It was my #1.
40 Beat Designer in Lower Zone
Slightly surprised this didn't get more love. I don't use Beat Designer, but I would if it were integrated into the Lower Zone and it would likely improve my workflow.
41 Ripple Edit
We can already do something very similar to this with Ctrl+Shift+Backspace, can't we? I don't like using it as it tends to mess up automation and shared copies.
42 Multitouch screen support
Seems inevitable, but I don't want it ....... yet.
43 MIDI Editor UI Tabs for Controller lanes
Slightly surprised this wasn't in the top 25. I could live without it, but it would be super handy.
44 Inspector In Lower Zone
More horizontal real estate, yes please. I'm not surprised people didn't go for this more, but I'd love to give it a try.
45 Multi quick control 
I'd use it, but I wouldn't vote for it.
46 Increase the number of Sends
Happy with the workarounds for now, while there are more pressing features I'd like to see.
47 DDP export for mastering
No interest to me, personally.
48 Improved Event Envelope editing
I'd welcome it but I think the event envelope editing is already pretty good!
49 Global Tracks in editors
Sounds like a good idea that I'd love after trying once, but until then I'm happy not knowing any better.
50 Improved VST Transit functionalities
I'm glad this ranked last. I personally think VST Transit needs to go in a whole different direction.

GlennO

Post by GlennO » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 pm

ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
Yikes, I missed the poll.
First, it is not "impossible to monitor thru latent plugins in cubase without inaudible latency". Many people do it every day :).

Second, Cubase already has the same features in this area as S1 and Logic. There was a thread recently about this:

viewtopic.php?f=285&t=161755
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

ensoniq_ts10

Post by ensoniq_ts10 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 am

valsolim wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 am
ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
Hardware "Z" monitoring in S1 is already present in Cubase, where it is named "Direct Monitoring". The list of supported interfaces for this feature may differ between S1 and Cubase, though. But beware, if you want to monitor through software plugins, you cannot use neither "Z" monitoring nor "Direct Monitoring", this is principally the same limitation.
--
Miloslav
No, Presonus Studio One’s “Z” mode is dual buffer mode, it doesn’t disable high latency effects, it just creates second near-zero latency signal path for monitoring tracks and effects.
Cubase’s direct monitoring mode doesn’t let you monitor income audio with effects inside of cubase
windows 10 x64. Cubase 10.0.30 x64. overclocked i7-8700k. 32GB ram. 2x 2TB m.2 nvme SSDs

keto88

Post by keto88 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:25 am

I feel like those voters are not Cubase users. Video Export? wtf, chord detection? lol waht? Really disappointed. No wonder why most of the people doesn't grow higher than home recording studio. Total ignorance.

GlennO

Post by GlennO » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 am

ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:23 am
valsolim wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 am
ensoniq_ts10 wrote:
--
Miloslav
No, Presonus Studio One’s “Z” mode is dual buffer mode, it doesn’t disable high latency effects, it just creates second near-zero latency signal path for monitoring tracks and effects.
Cubase’s direct monitoring mode doesn’t let you monitor income audio with effects inside of cubase
Both of you are incorrect :). The S1 Z button turns off latent plugins in the selected signal path. This eliminates latency due to plugins above the specified threshold. The "Z" label on the button is an unfortunate legacy of that feature incorrectly being named "zero latency monitoring" in an earlier version of S1. It is basically the same as the CDC button in Cubase.

Anyway, the important point is: there is no "new feature" being requested here that isn't already in Cubase.
Cubase 10, MacOS 10.13, Avid Artist Mix

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am

keto88 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:25 am
I feel like those voters are not Cubase users. Video Export? wtf, chord detection? lol waht? Really disappointed. No wonder why most of the people doesn't grow higher than home recording studio. Total ignorance.
Or, perhaps they're just different to you? ...Failure to accept awareness of another persons needs is seen as ignorance also.
Last edited by skijumptoes on Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:54 am

GlennO wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 am
Both of you are incorrect :). The S1 Z button turns off latent plugins in the selected signal path. This eliminates latency due to plugins above the specified threshold. The "Z" label on the button is an unfortunate legacy of that feature incorrectly being named "zero latency monitoring" in an earlier version of S1. It is basically the same as the CDC button in Cubase.
Logic's Low Latency Mode is exactly the same, and they all have thresholds as to the max latency allowed.
Big difference with Logic and Cubase that i've found is that you can manually turn off plugins in Cubase, in Logic you can only manually bypass them (So they're still adding latency) unless you use Low Latency Mode and apply it's threshold.

tmtm

Post by tmtm » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:15 pm

What about more GUI speed optimisations, that has not yet been finished.

JoMark

Post by JoMark » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Polyphonic Audio and Midi Editing would be a real improvement and help to me.
Thanks,

JoMark

Windows 8.1, 64 bit 16Gb, Intel i7-4790
Cubase 7.5, Focusrite LS56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Waves Gold Bundle, IK Multimedia T-Racks Plus and Amplitude 3.0, Satson Sonimus, EA Reckon Comp and EQ, Nebula Pro

keto88

Post by keto88 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:55 am

skijumptoes wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:51 am
keto88 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:25 am
Or, perhaps they're just different to you? ...Failure to accept awareness of another persons needs is seen as ignorance also.
Well listening to forum posters will not help Cubase get out of specific niche, that most of local people represents. Go check some metapop.com competition and you will see how popular Cubase is among beginners. 1 out of 100. I wonder if Cubase userbase even grow.

I see 80% of top requests as way to make life easier, lazy tricks for lazy dudes, just to make you feel better, click less. But non on them actually will help you produce better music\do advanced sound design (For example this functionality is totally underdeveloped in Cubase, does anybody asked to fix this? Almost no one, because coloring mixer is more impotent, while nowadays' production is all about tone). Easy way to get to the VSTi tweak knobs? Create tweak macroses? No, give us Chord Detection, because we are deaf.

What I think will make production better:

16 Modulators like LFOs for all parameters
35 Slicing in Sampler Track
36 Track Header with Volume, Pan, Inserts & Sends
45 Multi quick control

digging the rates?

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:07 am

keto88 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:55 am
Well listening to forum posters will not help Cubase get out of specific niche, that most of local people represents. Go check some metapop.com competition and you will see how popular Cubase is among beginners. 1 out of 100. I wonder if Cubase userbase even grow.
Does it not therefore make sense that there's many more users looking towards DAWs for editing their gaming/blogging/youtube videos and they feel that Cubase doesn't offer them that - so advancement in this area is a GOOD thing? Just because YOU don't require it does not mean everyone else who does are either ignorant and/or not cubase users - what a silly, insular comment to make.
I see 80% of top requests as way to make life easier, lazy tricks for lazy dudes, just to make you feel better, click less. But non on them actually will help you produce better music
"In your opinion" of course.

In regards to chord detection, this is an important way for a producer to breakdown a performance played in the studio and to work with the vocalist based on the results of that in regards to vocal phrases, work out structured vocal harmonies, engage more life into Bass parts and review other instrumental elements of the song.

If you don't class composition and performance as a part of producing better music then you've got the whole thing the wrong way round.
What I think will make production better *snip*:
It's funny, you know, how you call others ignorant and call them out for wanting to make their life easier, then you present a list of items that do exactly nothing more than helps laziness - all of those items can be simply achieved manually.

Just think in future before calling people ignorant, it's incredibly rude. This vote was a community thing, why hate on it? It's just sad.

Motionpicture89

Post by Motionpicture89 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:16 pm

I love the direction you guys are going in! I would love to see an update to Loopmash!!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”