Cubase Forum Feature Requests Poll August 2019

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 can be posted here.
Motionpicture89

Re: Cubase Forum Feature Requests Poll August 2019

Post by Motionpicture89 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Another thing that should be expanded on is the chord detection feature. The feature should detect the chords of a song turn the results to audio and be precise enough to pick an instrument closes to the original audio!

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Motionpicture89 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 pm
Another thing that should be expanded on is the chord detection feature. The feature should detect the chords of a song turn the results to audio and be precise enough to pick an instrument closes to the original audio!
Anybody who could do that would be rich in a jiffy, so the conclusion is nobody wants to be rich anymore ...
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

keto88

Post by keto88 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 am

skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:07 am
keto88 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:55 am
---
Does it not therefore make sense that there's many more users looking towards DAWs for editing their gaming/blogging/youtube videos and they feel that Cubase doesn't offer them that - so advancement in this area is a GOOD thing? Just because YOU don't require it does not mean everyone else who does are either ignorant and/or not cubase users - blablalbla
Mate, do you really not understand what low user base means? Every year 100$ payment for an update that feels more like subscription is foreign to you? Printscreen my prediction: People that don't use Cubase won't recommend it to their friends (Cubase has drastically low popularity in my country, I see nobody using it in every Music Related video). Also there are no video tutorials and public discussion about Cubase on YouTube. Big sounddesign youtubers don't make famous\featured sounds in it. Modern music is all about sound design. Cubase fails in this area hard. No one knows it and nobody use it => no one buys it. And things will become worse with time. Yamaha needs to pay their shareholders, Steinberg rises prices, creates more products, spreads its focus. Cubase becomes even more niche tool of hi-end studios for movie\games production. They ask more movie\game\workflow features. Cubase gets even more behind. Average people like me becomes kicked out because of other, more versatile DAWs, has more sound design features to offer. And my lifetime investment into studying Cubase gets flushed into the toilet. I don't want this to happen, and I will struggle so Steinberg made Cubase competitive again. By saying Cubase should not listen to the community voting but tracking-down what others DAWs do.

"Just because YOU don't require it does not mean everyone else who does are either ignorant and/or not cubase users" - I have my subjective opinion on what is important and what in not. You don't need to be guru of Cubase but to try others DAWs to understand what's importent and what's not. How comes Ableton \ FL Studio \ Bitwig \ almost free Reaper \ Studio One has better basic functionality for sound design than 15 years old expensive Cubase? Before Retrologue, it didn't even have any "basic" synth. After installing Cubase, by default you go and download some free oscilloscope, fader and plain low cut \ hi cut filters. Because make simple filter is too easy, let's make a DJ one and a Dual. Virgin Zones automation concept is a dead-born baby.

skijumptoes wrote:
In regards to chord detection, this is an important way for a producer to breakdown a performance played in the studio and to work with the vocalist based on the results of that in regards to vocal phrases, work out structured vocal harmonies, engage more life into Bass parts and review other instrumental elements of the song...
Aren't you describing the work of a good composer, which is not gonna be replaced and made more easy with some automatic-*whatever word go next* thing?
skijumptoes wrote:
It's funny, you know, how you call others ignorant and call them out for wanting to make their life easier, then you present a list of items that do exactly nothing more than helps laziness - all of those items can be simply achieved manually.
Describe me how to move this three parametric dots with one MIDI controller fader\rotary.

3, 2, 1, go...

And then after you messed with generic remote for half an hour, maybe you know how to make the dots move based on midi keys presses and some envelope you can edit? So the moving was responsible to some ADSR envelope on key press? Huh?

Maybe you know how to make the default delays' feedback to shut up after transport stop?

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:16 am

keto88 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 am
Maybe you know how to make the default delays' feedback to shut up after transport stop?
Good enough for a feature request est est est ... ... ...
Should probably have been done years ago but it's still echoing!
onStop(masterOutFasrFade)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:44 pm

keto88 wrote:
Also there are no video tutorials and public discussion about Cubase on YouTube.
Steinberg engage with their community via youtube massively compared to other DAWs, who else puts out live hangouts with Q&A sections that run for 2-3 hours? ....Not that this has any relevance to you slandering people as 'Total Ignorance'.
Modern music is all about sound design. Cubase fails in this area hard.
Along with film/tv/game/media composing, rock, jazz, funk, punk, folk, classical, country, reggae, metal, acoustic, blues, instrumentals, orchestral etc.
....Not that this has any relevance to you slandering people as 'Total Ignorance'.
No one knows it and nobody use it => no one buys it. And things will become worse with time. Yamaha needs to pay their shareholders, Steinberg rises prices, creates more products, spreads its focus. Cubase becomes even more niche tool of hi-end studios for movie\games production. They ask more movie\game\workflow features. Cubase gets even more behind. Average people like me becomes kicked out because of other, more versatile DAWs,
"No-one knows Cubase, nobody uses Cubase, and no-one buys it". o...k.... Not a clue what we're all doing here then(?).
Are the following recent advancements moving Cubase into this niche movie/games production tool that you are prophesying?
ARA, VariAudio 3, MPE Support, AAF support, UI Zones, More Inserts, Audio Alignment, Updated Channel Strip, Offline Processing, New Instrument Contents, Automation curves, Mix console snapshots and history, 64-Bit mixing, Easy Side-chaining?
....Not that this has any relevance to you slandering people as 'Total Ignorance'.
I have my subjective opinion on what is important and what in not.
...and anything outside your 'subjective opinion' is 'total ignorance', right?
How comes Ableton \ FL Studio \ Bitwig \ almost free Reaper \ Studio One has better basic functionality for sound design than 15 years old expensive Cubase?
Ableton, FL and Bitwig are all designed to be capable live performance tools, and ease of sound design and getting ideas down quick is their primary goal. Completely different concepts vs linear DAWs such as Cubase/Logic etc.
REAPER relies on it's open source style community to support the product, and as profit is not their primary concern they designed the product to be as open ended and customisable as possible, that also comes with some major downfalls where Cubase is strong. If i left you with a machine running vanilla install of REAPER and a vanilla install of Cubase Pro i can guarantee that Cubase ships with a FAR stronger suite of tools for sound design.
Before Retrologue, it didn't even have any "basic" synth.
And REAPER does? lol ..how about Prologue, A1, Padshop, Monologue and Embracer? ...And to think that you talk about others ignorance.
You do understand Steinbergs invention of VST and later VSTi's right? And their subsequent importance in creating what we use today? 'Basic' synths are what they provided to the world in a universal format.
...'Total Ignorance' eh?
Aren't you describing the work of a good composer, which is not gonna be replaced and made more easy with some automatic-*whatever word go next* thing?
I'm describing the work of a good composer which is being put into the hands of many, yes. Whilst you want to create beeps and noises that many wouldn't class as 'real' music, others want to progress themselves as songwriters bringing more theory into their workflow and understanding the core concepts of their compositions and improving on them... That may be too much for you to comprehend though, so let's just call say all those people have 'total ignorance', yes?
Describe me how to move this three parametric dots with one MIDI controller fader\rotary.
If you know what you want, Just automate it, easy - done!
If you haven't a clue what you're doing and just want to randomly try things then MIDI loopback so that one CC spits out multiple CC's and map via remote/quick controls.
And then after you messed with generic remote for half an hour, maybe you know how to make the dots move based on midi keys presses and some envelope you can edit? So the moving was responsible to some ADSR envelope on key press? Huh?
'Half hour' to press learn and move a control? Lol.. You're joking, right?
And yes, to do what you want input transform and/or loopback, simple.
But maybe you want an easier approach, or rather in your words "lazy tricks for lazy dudes, just to make you feel better, click less. But non on them actually will help you produce better music"... Moving 3 'dots' with one MIDI control, of course produces better music - right? Anyone who doesn't display 'total ignorance' knows that of course! I only listen to music that has 3 dots that move by a single MIDI rotary, i don't care for composition, chord structures or harmonies, that's far too 'niche' for me *Waves fist towards Steinberg* grrrr! ;-)
Yeah turn down my faders, just as every guitarists does with their guitar, amp or exp pedal. ...Or as every modular synth/external fx user does. You'd probably complain if it did stop short if it was the other way round, as the very concept of sound design is allowing plugins to allow the signal to flow through and you sculpt it, this is exactly how 'happy' mistakes occur, and is reacting just as outboard would.
...you do realise this is a Linear DAW and not a live performance tool, right? You also realise that what you want is all achievable/more suitable using plugins such as MUX Modulator, PdVST, or Reaktor? Or in the EQ case something like free like MComb.
Have you even used all the MIDI inserts available, such as Apache, Modifiers, Transformers, StepDesigner, Chorder, Auto LFO etc?
Cubase is a platform that allows you to host whatever tools you want inside, and is fully MIDI and plugin compliant based on Steinbergs own tech. You can achieve -anything- with a bit of thought, but it's easier to be lazy and complain while calling everyone else 'ignorant' isn't it.

I'm done on this matter now, i've said all i wanted.

keto88

Post by keto88 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 pm

First of all I think I do have the right to call people ignorant based on decisions they do. There actually exists not smart decision making and based on that I can sort out people and declare my conclusions. You can attack me forever for what I think, fight for the right not to call anybody dumb by anybody. I have my own criteria, and I don't afraid express my thoughts. Leave you moralfagging for others. You will not shut up me.

I am an electronic music guy, and I think EDM market is bigger then jazz, funk, punk, folk, classical, country, reggae, metal, acoustic, blues, instrumentals, orchestral markets combined. Nevertheless maybe just a few of TOP100\1000\10 000 DJs use Cubase. Aren't they enough advanced in music field? However Cubase doesn't offer them enough to pick it up. Some beginners at metapop are just a warning bell, one of 1000 will continue making music and will eventually become a Pro. Will he\she move to Cubase as he will become more advances producer? I doubt. Low popularity among beginners shows Cub's foggy perspective.

Look at the Google Trends, in 15 years Cubase fell the hardest of all DAWs.

As an advanced producer I see what crucial parts of music making in Cubase are behind.
1) Track Quick Controls. I have just tried to set up my new MIDI controller novation MK2 so its rotaries could control 'quick controls'. I pressed lean and pick up check boxes, moved faders and nothing. Address fields are 0. I don't freaking want to find out what's wrong. I run Massive and MIDI learn works like a charm there. So this is Cubase's fail that it can not pick up my controller. I have to open midi monitor and type in values manually. Is it my laziness that I am frustrated with this? No. Is this developer's fail? - Yes.

Where is External Controller integration improvements? 29

Though people all the time are crying about stereo-to-mono, mono-to-stereo thing. Is it so freaking hard to create new FX stereo channel? No.

Where is "Stereo effects on mono channels" - 5

Ignorance? Yes. Feature requests like:
3 Chord Detection from audio - go use spectral analyzer and ears
4 Polyphonic audio editing - duplicate tracks and move those variaudio stripes
5 Stereo effects on mono channels - create stereo groups \ FX
7 Open all Plug-ins of one track in one Window with tabs - what??? And you tell ME I want Cubase become Ableton i.e. live performance oriented?
10 Automation shown directly on tracks - we are ableton users
11 Gapless Audio Engine - we are FL Studio users
12 Scalability of the user interface - isn't it already there?
14 Improved zoom and scroll bars - aww that eyecandylovers from FL Studio
15 Full coloured tracks in the MixConsole - I am FL studio user
17 Multiple Track Freeze / Unfreeze - aren't you able press freeze few times?
19 Smart Tool (Range/Select Tool) - so hard to press numbers at the keyboard, yes
20 Analog MixConsole emulation - we need MOAR ANALOG
22 New Arpeggiator - I don't have imagination \ I tried Xfer Cthulhu
23 Multiple VST Instruments in one Instrument Track - that's just sick
24 Improved integration of Dorico - give us more free stuff
26 MixConsole Snapshots including automation - why those people doesn't ask to make one button at the master bus that's called "make my track freaking awesome"?
33 Renaming Plug-ins in Plug-in Manager (Alias) - yeah such a butt-hurt when a developer can't name its plugin with cute name. This will definitely make everyone's music better
etc
etc
etc

This list just shows how superficial most of the local users are. They know how to layer few tracks, use some plugins. And want to do this even more easy. Or users that came from other DAWs and wants some features here.

skijumptoes wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:44 pm
keto88 wrote:
-
Steinberg engage with their community via youtube massively compared to other DAWs, who else puts out live hangouts with Q&A sections that run for 2-3 hours? ...
That's a great idea, yeah. But no one of the well known sound designers\ producers \ youtubers use it to educate (there are lists on reddit with great youtubers that teaches how to make electronic music, none of them uses Cubase). And they influence youths much more than these QA. QA are for current user base. And Steinberg doesn't fight for neophytes.

Modern music is all about sound design. Cubase fails in this area hard.
Along with film/tv/game/media composing, rock, jazz, funk, punk, folk, classical, country, reggae, metal, acoustic, blues, instrumentals, orchestral etc.
Sound designers makes all these presets and libraries everyone else are using in their music.
And also the next big thing in music is tone.
So whatever tool will give an opportunity to stand out - those one will win.
"No-one knows Cubase, nobody uses Cubase, and no-one buys it". o...k.... Not a clue what we're all doing here then(?).
Weak argument, mate, weak. Even Pure Data has users.
Are the following recent advancements moving Cubase into this niche movie/games production tool that you are prophesying?
ARA, VariAudio 3, MPE Support, AAF support, UI Zones, More Inserts, Audio Alignment, Updated Channel Strip, Offline Processing, New Instrument Contents, Automation curves, Mix console snapshots and history, 64-Bit mixing, Easy Side-chaining?
Last edited by keto88 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keto88

Post by keto88 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:21 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:44 pm
-

Maybe you will laugh, but imho nothing except "render in place", "Automation curves" and "Copy paste \ A-B compare" made sound design in Cubase 10 more advanced than Cubase 5 had, its linear nature do makes it easier to align someone's sounds, that were made i other DAWs, to videos, though.

Maybe it's time to look at the area that nobody have been carrying for decade,already?
I have my subjective opinion on what is important and what in not.
...and anything outside your 'subjective opinion' is 'total ignorance', right?
I've already said, when someone is an expert in some field it's easy to say what stands behind some requests. I don't mind people ask whatever they want and I won't call them ignorant . I do mind of a kid to ask for a candy when your car is about to hit a wall. That's how I see modern Cubase. Most of local users are asking for toys while you need to change the direction.

Before Retrologue, it didn't even have any "basic" synth.
And REAPER does? lol ..how about Prologue, A1, Padshop, Monologue and Embracer? ...And to think that you talk about others ignorance.
I think A1 was cut out of Cubase 5 (I didn't use Cubase before) and all the others was some weird alien synths that was not capable of making Saw->Filter thing.

If you know what you want, Just automate it, easy - done!
If you haven't a clue what you're doing and just want to randomly try things then MIDI loopback so that one CC spits out multiple CC's and map via remote/quick controls.
Use 3rd party app to do so - that's so easy. And I am so lazy. Yes, for sure.

'Half hour' to press learn and move a control? Lol.. You're joking, right?
Nah, if you want quick controls to work with few instrument tracks simultaneously you do need to mess with generic remote for a long time.
And yes, to do what you want input transform and/or loopback, simple.
Yeah much more simple and o.k. than absence of functionality to move tracks in Mixer...
Moving 3 'dots' with one MIDI control, of course produces better music - right?
You obviously knows a little about sound design. That was just an example. But experimenting with any plugin that doesn't have Macros like Massive has - is not what you want to do in Cubase.

There is an easy decisions:
1) why you can send midi note to few instrument tracks but not CC?
2) why you can not select few parameters for track's quick control?

These two are more important than all of that list at the beginning in my comment, combined. But people that doesn't dig much into sound won't get it. They just want to move audio clips and turn volume knob with ease, and use Kontakt Drums that sounddesigners made for them or buy production ready samples on Splice.

Cubase is a platform that allows you to host whatever tools you want inside, and is fully MIDI and plugin compliant based on Steinbergs own tech. You can achieve -anything- with a bit of thought, but it's easier to be lazy and complain while calling everyone else 'ignorant' isn't it.

I'm done on this matter now, i've said all i wanted.
I love Cubase but I think it goes in a wrong direction. And listening to those FR is like trying to give a candy to a kid in car on fire. IMHO
It's ignorance to ask a candy
It's ignorance to try to give a candy

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:18 am

As I said previously, I’m done on the subject, I’ve said all I possibly can. Plus despite what you may think, I have no interest in shutting you up, simply pointing out that it’s incredibly insular to label people as ignorant based on your own ignorance. I’ve even tried to help you with problems, but you throw that back in my face.

However, reading that you’re an advanced producer, please share your productions as I’m extremely interested in hearing them, you must have a great catalogue of music with interesting textures.

Oh, And as for EDM being bigger than all other genres combined, not quite:
https://www.statista.com/graphic/1/3107 ... -genre.jpg

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 pm

keto88 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 pm

I am an electronic music guy, and I think EDM market is bigger then jazz, funk, punk, folk, classical, country, reggae, metal, acoustic, blues, instrumentals, orchestral markets combined.

The pop and rock markets are much larger than EDM globally. In the US, hip hop, r&b, and even country are also much larger. I'd suspect Latin too. If you were a young guy in Germany or the UK that hangs out in the scene than EDM may seem like the biggest thing in the world but it could just mean you're living in a bubble and are lacking some broader perspective. You can Google genre popularity by record sales and get all kinds of information on the topic to add the proper context. Here's a site with a pie chart that shows the country market is right behind the broader Dance market globally:

https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com ... sic-sales/

keto88

Post by keto88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Funkybot wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 pm
---
Ok, I got it. I really had a good time having a conversation with you, for sure you know what are you talking about and not some beginner in music production. I admit that saying someone's ignorant is also ignorance. While I was arguing I found some inconsistency and false convictions in my opinion. Also you convinced me at some points.

Also give me a discount for not being a native speaker, I really don't know how to express my thoughts the right way sometimes, and make my sentences too formal or use the wrong words. I always have this feeling that I sound too harsh\rude but that's not what I am in real life while talking my mother tongue.

The biggest problem in Cubase for me (before bezier curves in Automation and inserts number) is to control and edit automatons, predict it's results. I used Reason4/5 a lot and I like its concept of virgine zones in automation lines and the macros thing in combinator. For modern Cubase it's more convenient to switch to another DAW for me, create a sound and then import it back into Cubase. I guess I need to get Reaktor or MUTools, but what if I want Izotope Trash or Saturn in my chain? Or split the signal into three lines? At this point madness with automation copy\paste starts. Automation in Cubase doesn't have cloned forms, clip forms, if it was "a clips" like MIDI clips, you could create clone clips and edit one, but changes reflects everywhere. Or you could have some macros thing, like "automation group", I don't know.

For now it's better not to mess a lot with automation in Cubase, fades, mutes, VCO - that's all. If you do some talking bass, it's better to make 4 bars part, render in place and clone (but then it's tedious to replace audio with the new version, thanks god I know how to do it and there is such option).
Because if you use same automation 50 times and want to change it, you need to duplicate it 50 times again. I think Cubase should make automation clips not continuous lines. Such a big field to think about.

Also if you automate filter bypass at positions 1. 1. 1. 0 - 2. 1. 1. 0, it won't be bypassed at 2. 1. 1. 0 first kick (like bypass-on is delayed for some reason). Such annoying bug. Do you understand what I am talking about? I.E. Cubase has actual bugs in sound generating job, it is there for like of Cubase 5. Why the flup ask for moving mixer channels?

Another case, for some reason Serum Delay is not in sync with the grid, it's occurs only in Cubase. Why?

You see, people that actually do something advances sees all this. Will they ask for moving furniture and buy a new one, when you need to clean up the apartment? Ok I was wrong calling people ignorant. I wasn't wrong in my argumentation what's important and what's not. Sound quality is, for now it's now perfect. You should get what you'd expect not surprises.

Here's my most advanced tack so far, the rest I've deleted recently: youtube.com/watch?v=ALjBV-7cI-4

keyxmusic

Post by keyxmusic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 am

The problem, to me, is not whether electronic music is more popular than other "traditional" genres or not, but that the features needed for it is the most difficult/ impossible to work around.

If you work on a pop/ rock tune and want polyphonic editing, you can buy Melodyne and it'll solve all of your pitch editing needs. If I want to use modulators (env, lfo), I can just get MU Tools right? Not really because it doesn't support any of my VST3s, nor any of my native Cubase plugins.

Regarding the example of moving the EQ nodes above, yes I can just automate them one by one, if I know exactly what I want to do. But in sound design, lots of time I don't, and the point is to morph multiple parameters at once, set their range, invert the range and so on, to find a sweet spot. This is impossible in Cubase. Some say this is a performance-related feature but I think it has become a common advanced feature that most DAWs now have (Reason, Ableton, FL, S1, Reaper) The Quick Controls, which can control any parameter in the VSTi or FX chain, have the right idea, but it's too limited for being unable to set, invert range and being tied to only one parameter.

Lastly, I think Cubase's current toolbox for other music genres has been more than enough for quite a while. In my opinion, the only crucial feature that is missing for them is multi track warping, which I totally hope they would get in a future update.

Someone has made a point earlier about eye candy features above that I agree with. I think besides listening to the community, which is very important, Cubase might want to prioritize the ones that matter to the core functions of the program more than the eye/ ear candy ones. I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to move tracks in the mixer, to open all plugs in a tab, to have a gapless audio engine etc but seriously none of those will help my music sound better at the end of the day.

keyxmusic

Post by keyxmusic » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:52 am

XYZ famous people are all doing fine. No more feature request, everybody go home

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:40 am

keyxmusic wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 am
The problem, to me, is not whether electronic music is more popular than other "traditional" genres or not, but that the features needed for it is the most difficult/ impossible to work around.
I do agree with this a little, but what EDM producers need to appreciate is that there's a ton of hardwork that goes into setting up mics for guitars, amps, bass, vocals etc. that runs into the hours of (wasted) time, same goes for outboard synth/fx users... Many EDM producers expect things to be super easy because the modern ones are accustomed to everything being in the box, and so external routing or additional work is foreign to them.

That said, however, most music has some kind of cross-over... I like to blend synths with rock elements, so even though i put myself in the Rock/Indie bracket i still love all the modular synths (own some) and sound design tools so would be fully in support of all that's been put forward in regards to Automation per clip, More routing possibilities, a more modular approach etc.. BUT, when you look at functions like polyphonic audio/chord detection i think that's just a plea to Steinberg to keep evolving their detection and usefulness of it, so it doesn't go stale... i.e. it feels like another step forward in it's progression.

Making Cubase a more modular platform outside of it's current MIDI (cc) routing methods is quite substantial work, and not such a 'step' but possibly rewrite that affects quick controls, the piano roll areas, automation, and generic remote. That's why it's not something i'd vote for... even though i'd like to see it. I just can't see them making such moves, personally. Because it can't be 'bolted on' at this stage and i'd consider it a wasted vote really.
If you work on a pop/ rock tune and want polyphonic editing, you can buy Melodyne and it'll solve all of your pitch editing needs. If I want to use modulators (env, lfo), I can just get MU Tools right? Not really because it doesn't support any of my VST3s, nor any of my native Cubase plugins.
It takes me 10-15 mins to get my amp and mic setup for recording... It would take me 5 mins to MIDI loop out of Cubase and back in to be able to modulate any first/third party plugin using that loop back. So it is easily doable.. Yes it's a pain and feels like a 'hack' compared to alot of tasks, and i do sympathise with that. But really, if it's not ranking high on a community vote to fix, you can't blame the users who just have different needs.
Regarding the example of moving the EQ nodes above, yes I can just automate them one by one, if I know exactly what I want to do. But in sound design, lots of time I don't, and the point is to morph multiple parameters at once, set their range, invert the range and so on, to find a sweet spot. This is impossible in Cubase.
It's not impossible though, it just requires additional routing OR getting a plugin that does offer those kinds of modulation. But yes, i do agree it could be better. And by the way, i'm really not in opposition of any of this or choosing to argue with anyone against it - i just don't like reading high magnitude words such 'impossible' and previously people being labelled as 'ignorant'... When they're not full truths.

Try setting up a multi-mic drumkit, isolating the room, tuning heads, setting headphone mixes, eradicating latency issues, checking for phase issues, adjustment/changing of mics, counting/punching people in, take after take.. and then aligning/fixing tracks post record... That's so much more involved and harder work than moving 3 dots on a plugin till you get something that (accidentally) sounds good. Your 'impossible' is another mans shrug.

In order to get some of this into Cubae... i just don't know how they do it without having to break a load of stuff getting there... As i said previously, bolting it on top of what already exists just isn't going to work with this kind of modular approach... it has to happen within the core of the software. They can't use the Midi Inserts as they carry only MIDI (cc) data, i don't think they can use standard Audio Inserts as they won't see each others plugin parameters? ...So how an earth do they do it?

Only approach that could be bolted on (And therefore more achievable?) would be elements of the Generic Remote to become modular, so you could wire single CC's coming in direct to multiple parameters on the track... And maybe be able to put LFO's/Envelops between those connections for further automation?

But even with that, how an earth do they manage these as presets so you can recall them in future? How do you deal with the mappings when you change tracks etc. There's so many caveats to consider. BUT, if this went into the Generic Remote editor then i think far more people would be in support of it as a whole. Because it's clear that many people want improvements in that area too.

Maybe some kind of automation insert would be doable that can read FROM the generic remote and send TO inserts/track automation. And also be dragged and dropped as Automation clips on the timeline/piano roll area? ...But that's yet another zone on the left which is already getting pretty busy!

Or.. would updating smart/quick controls to be multi-page AND each control capable of adjusting multiple parameters be a big step forward? I'd quite like to see that if the pages could be incremented via MIDI CC's too.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:29 pm

1. What's important to one person will not always be important to another. Period. Your personal wishes are yours and may not be someone else's -- that's simply life.
2. Things that make working with Cubase faster, more intuitive and more efficient are where it's at for me.
3. Pride and ego shouldn't be part of these discussions here, especially in a place where misinterpretations are rampant because it's the internet/a forum.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

Quinn3k3

Post by Quinn3k3 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:06 pm

+1 to In Stereo's comments above.

To his point, you are wasting your valuable time if you think you are going to convince another user that their ideas aren't the best or that their priorities are not the most important.

We have to trust that Steinberg will make decisions that will improve the program for all users. I don't think that they will blindly focus on the features that ranked the highest. The fact that they had a separate survey specifically focused on key commands (which probably aren't glamorous enough to top the regular feature survey) shows that they are looking to improve things across the board.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 pm

It's only discussions guys, no-ones pride or ego is getting hurt or put into question. Personally, i think it IS important to understand a single voice that calls out, and engage with it. It's how we learn and can empathise with others.
Think of all the discoveries one man (Stephen Hawking) provided to the world of science. Many people would have also told him back in the day that what's important to him isn't important to another person and therefore he should stop wasting his time.

In_Stereo

Post by In_Stereo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:23 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:51 pm
It's only discussions guys, no-ones pride or ego is getting hurt or put into question. Personally, i think it IS important to understand a single voice that calls out, and engage with it. It's how we learn and can empathise with others.
Think of all the discoveries one man (Stephen Hawking) provided to the world of science. Many people would have also told him back in the day that what's important to him isn't important to another person and therefore he should stop wasting his time.
I do agree with what you're saying -- I just don't agree with how some are behaving here (and in many other threads), and feel that a discussion should be respectful, most definitely on a forum where misinterpretations are made by all of us (it's the nature of internet discussion).

I meant pride or ego driving comments, instead of at least trying to be more rational and respectful. Not being so dilutes the message and puts many people off, very possibly including those that are important to getting the things one wants done.
Cubase 9.5, Trashcan Mac 6-core 3.7ghz, High Sierra 10.13.4 OS, AMD FirePro D300 Dual, 64 gig RAM, plugins galore, some hardware, a bunch of real instruments and synths, Apollo 8 TB, etc., etc., and two cats

DarrenGlen

Post by DarrenGlen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:41 am

keto88 wrote:

33 Renaming Plug-ins in Plug-in Manager (Alias) - yeah such a butt-hurt when a developer can't name its plugin with cute name. This will definitely make everyone's music better
etc
etc
etc

keto88 i find your posts comments to be childish, immature and disrespectful to other users.

mart

Post by mart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 pm

I was always going to be surprised by the results here as Cubase caters to such a broad user base. What I spend my day using seems to be different to what a lot of people do; professional music production recording and mixing and mastering. I love Cubase but sometimes it feels like I'm pushing a round peg into a square hole by sticking with it

For example.
No5 'Stereo effects on mono channels'. As a mix engineer I simply cant see the need for this - and its at No.5

The features that may save me the most time in a day are down at 13, 21 and 24

No 47 is a shame as it would allow Mastering engineers to use Cubase if it also integrated PQ encoding as a track option. I would jump up and down for it. And its at 47.
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 9.5.5 Cubase 10.0.30, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

mart

Post by mart » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Funkybot wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 pm
keto88 wrote:

I am an electronic music guy, and I think EDM market is bigger then jazz, funk, punk, folk, classical, country, reggae, metal, acoustic, blues, instrumentals, orchestral markets combined.

The pop and rock markets are much larger than EDM globally. In the US, hip hop, r&b, and even country are also much larger. I'd suspect Latin too. If you were a young guy in Germany or the UK that hangs out in the scene than EDM may seem like the biggest thing in the world but it could just mean you're living in a bubble and are lacking some broader perspective. You can Google genre popularity by record sales and get all kinds of information on the topic to add the proper context. Here's a site with a pie chart that shows the country market is right behind the broader Dance market globally:

https://musicandcopyright.wordpress.com ... sic-sales/
Totally agree with Funkybot. Absolutely disagree with keto88
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 9.5.5 Cubase 10.0.30, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:27 pm

mart wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 pm
No5 'Stereo effects on mono channels'. As a mix engineer I simply cant see the need for this - and its at No.5
You don't understand using a stereo delay or other such effects on mono sources such as vocals/DI guitars? You can of course send to an FX bus, but using DI Guitars into an amp sim that has dual cabinets/stereo fx requires a Mono source feeding a Stereo plugin, and so isn't suited to use as an FX/Bus (Parallel) send method as a workaround.

Also, some plugins only carry Stereo versions and don't show on the mono selection.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Can’t you just use a stereo track with the mono source ?
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

skijumptoes

Post by skijumptoes » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:07 pm

peakae wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Yeah i guess that should work. The trouble is if you already have mono tracks existing in the project.

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:37 pm

skijumptoes wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:07 pm
peakae wrote:
Yeah i guess that should work. The trouble is if you already have mono tracks existing in the project.
Cubase should just do this automatically IMO and allow users to toggle between Mono In -> Mono Out and Mono In -> Stereo Out via a button on the mixer. Pretty sure every other DAW I use has handled it that way.

mart

Post by mart » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:07 pm

peakae wrote:
Yep!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”