Occasional bluescreens with Cubase 10 on Windows 10

I started up Cubase today - fired up my converters just after that… tried to open a project, and got a blue screen. It says:

“Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then you can restart. For more information about this issue and possible fixes, visit Troubleshoot blue screen errors - Microsoft Support. If you call a support person, give them this info: Stop code: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”

Not sure if it’s Cubase… will check for latest drivers, etc. Anyway, this is the 2nd time this has happened while using Cubase 10 during the last week or so. Cubase ran fine all of yesterday… not today. Maybe it has something to do with starting the converters after Cubase? Maybe a sample rate change before a project has loaded? Not entirely sure yet…

Todd

Hi,

Blue Screen is mostly on hardware side. Please make sure your drivers are up-to-date.

This happens to me all the time. Cubase does not like your audio interface to disappear or appear when Cubase is open. It will cause the computer to crash. Make sure your audio interface is on before you open Cubase. Then you probably won’t get the error again. The issue I have is sometimes I get a firewire drop out on my interface, then you get the same blue screen error you are describing. Unfortunately for me the audio interface is built into my massive mixer/control surface :frowning: If you’re using a firewire interface and have updated drivers but you are getting drop outs sometimes you can also try installing the firewire legacy drivers (link below) to see you if get more stability and then select to use the legacy driver in device manager by right clicking on the firewire device and selected, update driver, then select the (legacy) driver. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/usbcoreblog/2014/09/10/announcing-the-availability-of-a-standalone-legacy-1394-ohci-firewire-package/

In my case, the audio interfaces should already be on - they’re pci cards so they should be started when the computer boots. Maybe when I start the converters it’s changing sample rate or something when Cubase starts.

I’ll try as you say - and turn on the converters before starting Cubase. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Thanks,
Todd

Check also that any PCI power management is turned off!

This is happening here with Win7, but not a BSOD, just no audio. I have learned, like all of you, to turn on my firewire device before I turn on my PC. Everything works fine this way, no issues. I also would agree that this never happened with any Cubase version prior to 10. Something changed.

Agreed - I did not have this problem in Cubase 9.5.

Update: Cubase 10 now finds my firewire ASIO driver after I turn on my DAW PC, then turn on my audio device, and then initiate C10. I can’t explain this but I do recall many times in the past where, after a new Cubase install a certain feature will not work…but then a few tries later it does. Ah, the mystery of Cubase!

This happens to me every time I open Cubase 10. Usually I just have to load one instrument track & drag some midi notes from a preset and crash.

Hi,

Crash or blue screen? If crash, attach the crash dump file, please. If blue screen, unplug all hardware (but mouse and keyboard) and try it again.

I’ve had this happen pretty badly a couple of weeks ago. Here’s what’s fixed it:

1. I’ve noticed that the internal PSU was working inconsistently. I bought a new one.
  2. I also bought a quality voltage stabilizer for each outlet in my place.

While my PSU was supplying the motherboard with inconsistent voltage (because the PSU was old plus the varying voltage in the apartment’s well outlets), two of four RAM chips got damaged. I’ve figured this after doing a lot of testing.

So check the voltage in your wall outlets and also check the PSU, RAM and anything else. Some of your computer internal components might have gotten damaged because of the voltage. Also, if there’s no ground in your electrical wiring that may create problems, too. Better use a back up battery on each outlet that you use for your studio, but before you buy them, definitely invite a professional electrician so that he can check and tell you the maximum load on each electrical line at your place, so that you don’t overload them with batteries. Ask him what battery specs should be good for each electrical line. Same if you will be getting voltage stabilizers instead of back up batteries.