GUI - Well done!

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
Robin Walsh

GUI - Well done!

Post by Robin Walsh » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm

The new GUI look is really, really good. I worked on 10 last night and this morning and you guys have done a fantastic job! Somehow you've smoothed things, but made everything clearer and neater. It's so slick. At first I thought it was a bit too dark, but now I can't look at 8! :D

When you spend the hours we do staring at a screen, looks become important.

Thank you guys!!!
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

ChrisPolus

Re: GUI - Well done!

Post by ChrisPolus » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

I was afraid it was too dark, judging from the screenshots. I guess you have to see it for some time to get used to it. But then again, not everybody is happy.

viewtopic.php?f=291&t=159038

I guess I'll wait for the demo version and have a look then.
Last edited by ChrisPolus on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

Bifop

Post by Bifop » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm

I fully agree Robin !

I like what I'm seeing so far. Lots of little changes (the tool bars in the mixer and the arrange page, the icons...) and bigger ones too like new GUI for plugins, miniature for plugins etc.
Nuendo looks crispier.

Now to learn all the new functions because the jump from 8 really feels like two versions up.

Bravo !
A very happy customer. :-)
Personal setup : Nuendo 10 on ASUS PRIME Z270-A -I7 7700K - Win10 pro 64bits- SSD - 4 x LCD screens + 40" on Blackmagic intensity. Steinberg UR824 + MR816 - 2 X Avid Artist Mix + Artist control + Euphonix transport. LCR Focal Twin.

Nuage 32 faders on Mac Pro 12 cores. 5.1 Focal twin. Ssl Xlogic Alpha link Madi at workplace.

tubesniffer

Post by tubesniffer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm

The new GUI is a pain to be very honest.

viewtopic.php?f=291&t=159038
Best regards
TS
Steinberg: please deliver eye-friendly GUI again like in Cubase 9.5 / Nuendo 8.3
Win 7 SP1, Xeon E5-1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32GB ECC RAM, MSI GTX980 4G, Samsung 960 EVO/950 Pro, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB (ST3000DM008), Seagate 10TB (ST10000NM0016), Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 PCIe (4xFL1100) // RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE, ADI-2 DAC, ARC USB, RayDAT, Geithain RL906D, Audeze LCD-3

Bifop

Post by Bifop » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 pm

To each his own, it is a matter of taste.

No need to try to redirect to your own thread. ;-)
Personal setup : Nuendo 10 on ASUS PRIME Z270-A -I7 7700K - Win10 pro 64bits- SSD - 4 x LCD screens + 40" on Blackmagic intensity. Steinberg UR824 + MR816 - 2 X Avid Artist Mix + Artist control + Euphonix transport. LCR Focal Twin.

Nuage 32 faders on Mac Pro 12 cores. 5.1 Focal twin. Ssl Xlogic Alpha link Madi at workplace.

tubesniffer

Post by tubesniffer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I think you are not aware of that ergonomy in the field is a field of its own, it has nothing to do with taste.

If you have no knowledge about this or even do not know the difference between that and what you are talking about,
then please be so kind and stick out of such discussion, many thanks.
Best regards
TS
Steinberg: please deliver eye-friendly GUI again like in Cubase 9.5 / Nuendo 8.3
Win 7 SP1, Xeon E5-1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32GB ECC RAM, MSI GTX980 4G, Samsung 960 EVO/950 Pro, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB (ST3000DM008), Seagate 10TB (ST10000NM0016), Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 PCIe (4xFL1100) // RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE, ADI-2 DAC, ARC USB, RayDAT, Geithain RL906D, Audeze LCD-3

fuzzydude

Post by fuzzydude » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 pm

tubesniffer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm
I think you are not aware of that ergonomy in the field is a field of its own, it has nothing to do with taste.

If you have no knowledge about this or even do not know the difference between that and what you are talking about,
Let's keep it civil please!

I have several setups and engineers here, some of which are CB10 Pro and the others Nuendo 8. All here prefer the updated GUI on CB10 Pro. Installed Nuendo on the other machines yesterday, up and running and all very happy.
Comps+OS: Macbook Pro's 10.13.4 I PC's - i7's - M2's - SSD's I Win10 Pro x64 (V-1809)I Nuendo 10 | Cubase Pro 10 I Wavelab 9.5 Pro | Absolute Collection | VSTConnect (latest versions)

juni

juni

Post by juni » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Actually, on a 4K UHD display with 200% scale on Win10, there is no way to find a right resolution to work with! Thats a pita!
Nuendo 10, Burl B80, Lavry Gold MKIII, RME MadiFace FX, Win10

Bifop

Post by Bifop » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 pm

tubesniffer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm

What was this ?
You're making a lot of assumptions in one sentence here....
You started a thread about what you dislike in the GUI. I was merely suggesting you to stick to that one instead of trying to pollute this one.
I think you're over reacting and maybe lacking diplomacy skills.
I'm enjoying my Nuendo 10.

profdraper

Post by profdraper » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:33 pm

Bifop wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 pm
What was this ?
You're making a lot of assumptions in one sentence here....
You started a thread about what you dislike in the GUI. I was merely suggesting you to stick to that one instead of trying to pollute this one.
I think you're over reacting and maybe lacking diplomacy skills.
I'm enjoying my Nuendo 10.
Exactly. +1. Much seems about 'dark'. Alternatively, just lighten up the UI in the prefs, takes about 2 secs. And some other options there to tweak, marker range colours, etc etc.
PC: Dell T7910 dual Xeon, Win10Pro 1903, 64GB, Samsung SSDs. Displays: Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT, RTX 2080Ti, Decklink MiniMon 4k. Audio: Thunderbolt 2, RME UFX+ & ADI-8, UAD-2 quad PCIe. MIDI: Presonus FaderPort 16, NI Komplete Kontrol S61, Ableton Push. Apps: Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Ableton Live Suite 10, DaVinci Resolve Studio 15.3.

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Robin Walsh wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm
The new GUI look is really, really good. I worked on 10 last night and this morning and you guys have done a fantastic job! Somehow you've smoothed things, but made everything clearer and neater. It's so slick. At first I thought it was a bit too dark, but now I can't look at 8! :D

When you spend the hours we do staring at a screen, looks become important.

Thank you guys!!!
+ 1 !!!

I absolutely agree with you! 8-)

N10 looks really good on my 4k flat screen too - great GUI improvements! it's really fun to work for hours with it.

on the edge, I hate Logic´s toyish GUI design, in S1 the 2D flat GUI design is horrible and so bad on the eyes, especially if you work with more than 50+ tracks (LOL) comparatively. :?

C.
"They told us all they wanted... Was a sound that could kill someone from a distance..." (Kate Bush, Experiment IV)
"Kennst du schon das Handbuch?" ^^
"Wenn du anfängst, mit einem Programm wie Cubase zu arbeiten, dann solltest du mindestens einmal das Handbuch von Anfang bis Ende durchlesen -
du wirst dabei so viele Tipps und Tricks entdecken, die dir wirklich helfen, deinen Stil für die Arbeit mit dem Programm zu entwickeln. " (Junkie XL)

Splaaat

Post by Splaaat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:12 am

I just switched to Nuendo 10 from Logic and have been running the demo for Nuendo 8 for the past couple of weeks. I quite like the new GUI. Not as awesome as Logic's (personal preference) but I feel it's a lot better than 8. I can't stand Protools' UI.
Nuendo 10 | Mac Mini 2018 | 3.2GHz i7 6-Core 32GB RAM | UAD Apollo X | RME UFX

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am

Bifop wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pm
I fully agree Robin !

I like what I'm seeing so far. Lots of little changes (the tool bars in the mixer and the arrange page, the icons...) and bigger ones too like new GUI for plugins, miniature for plugins etc.
Nuendo looks crispier.

Now to learn all the new functions because the jump from 8 really feels like two versions up.

Bravo !
A very happy customer. :-)
Yeah, it really does feel like two versions up!! :D
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

uarte

Post by uarte » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm

I also really like the new interface, HOWEVER, I hope that Steinberg will add 125% and 150% scaling... right now it's a pain in the neck, so I leave it at 100% on my 32 inch 4k monitors. It's slightly hard to see sometimes, but 200% is WAY too big. 125% or 150% would be perfect.

Steinberg, PLEASE improve the scaling to allow for other intervals!

EDIT: I'm on Windows 10

taliosanchez

Post by taliosanchez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Well done indeed!

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:20 pm

uarte wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm
I also really like the new interface, HOWEVER, I hope that Steinberg will add 125% and 150% scaling... right now it's a pain in the neck, so I leave it at 100% on my 32 inch 4k monitors. It's slightly hard to see sometimes, but 200% is WAY too big. 125% or 150% would be perfect.

Steinberg, PLEASE improve the scaling to allow for other intervals!

EDIT: I'm on Windows 10
Only way around this is to disable HiDPI unfortunately.

WastingYourTime

Post by WastingYourTime » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 pm

The only thing that should change is any box with dialogue or a lot of text, lists, etc, should be inverted as so:

no contest as to which is better. Dark Text, Light Background. This way it "pops" ontop of project window/mixer which has bright elements like coloured regions, and such. so hard to read otherwise, too many lighter colours pulling at the eyes when trying to read text. Design 101.

I'm fine with the default colour scheme otherwise which makes it nice and easy to see the coloured regions and audio without your eyes being pulled.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:49 pm

I haven't really tested out ver 10 yet so I don't have an opinion about this specific version's look, but if it's limited to dialog boxes then I don't really care as long as I understand what's what. I look at dialog boxes a fraction of the time I'm in a DAW so it won't bother me. If it was a general GUI problem I'd be worried.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:20 pm

WastingYourTime wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 pm
The only thing that should change is any box with dialogue or a lot of text, lists, etc, should be inverted as so:

no contest as to which is better. Dark Text, Light Background. This way it "pops" ontop of project window/mixer which has bright elements like coloured regions, and such. so hard to read otherwise, too many lighter colours pulling at the eyes when trying to read text. Design 101.

I'm fine with the default colour scheme otherwise which makes it nice and easy to see the coloured regions and audio without your eyes being pulled.
ugly. :shock:

And this makes no sense to have Arrange+Mixer in dark, but dialogue boxes in light etc. :?

My opinion: it is better to have a GUI - with all components - completely in the same color.

Such half-baked light / dark experiments are horrible and absolutely suboptimal.

C.
"They told us all they wanted... Was a sound that could kill someone from a distance..." (Kate Bush, Experiment IV)
"Wenn du anfängst, mit einem Programm wie Cubase zu arbeiten, dann solltest du mindestens einmal das Handbuch von Anfang bis Ende durchlesen -
du wirst dabei so viele Tipps und Tricks entdecken, die dir wirklich helfen, deinen Stil für die Arbeit mit dem Programm zu entwickeln. " (Junkie XL)

WastingYourTime

Post by WastingYourTime » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Centralmusic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:20 pm
WastingYourTime wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 pm

ugly. :shock:

And this makes no sense to have Arrange+Mixer in dark, but dialogue boxes in bright etc. :?

My opinion: it is better to have a GUI - with all components - completely in the same color.

Such half-baked light / dark experiments are horrible and absolutely suboptimal.

C.
How is it ugly?? We're talking about a friggin box bro, not the colour of wall paint in a room. :? I mean, I find the look of it irrelevant, whether it's beautiful or 'ugly' or how many beers I would need to sleep with it :lol: .... the point is, it's easier to read the text, which to be frank, is just bloody undeniably easier to read... Design 101 bro.

and how it makes sense is, you don't leave the windows open when you're navigating the arranger/mixer.. so yea it actually does make sense when you consider you only have them open momentarily, and in that moment, it's what you want to be focusing on.

There is no focus between the pop up windows and the arranger/mixer which is what actually, really, for real, actually, makes no sense

Not sure what you guys are smoking, but you need better s|=:it

WastingYourTime

Post by WastingYourTime » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm

The difference is night and day... literally :lol:

I don't even care what your opinion is, it's undeniably easier to read. I have good vision.

If you switch between the two pictures in a picture viewer, you can literally feel your eyes go in and out of focus.

new high-res comparison attached.

It's undeniable, "ugly" or not. It's like asking if you can see a big girl standing in the middle of the road better than a skinny one - it wouldn't make 'sense' to say it's easier to see the skinny one. :lol: That doesn't mean you find the big one more attractive (or maybe you do, big girls (and guys) need love to).

Sorry but it's just better, design 101 guys. I do both btw, audio and graphic design.
Attachments
Inverted.png
(866.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Non-Inverted.png
(866.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:27 pm

It's critical issues like this that got Gulliver tied up by the lilliputians!
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

WastingYourTime

Post by WastingYourTime » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Get a life

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:54 am

WastingYourTime wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 pm
The difference is night and day... literally
If you switch between the two pictures in a picture viewer, you can...
CENSORED

Sorry but it's just better, design 101 guys. I do both btw, audio and graphic design.
LOL. :roll:

I do graphic design and photo editing too (!) professionally.

I hope you know Photoshop/Premiere etc., then you realize why all of Adobe´s GUIs are dark.... (...)

BTW, I prefer your second Screenshot (NON inverted)

Kind regards,

C.

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 am

...nevertheless, we should not waste our time with such banalities. (...)
Noteworthy that some users are more interested in the color schemes than the new wonderful N10 features...
But that says a lot.

C.

Return to “General”