GUI - Well done!

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
cmbourget

Re: GUI - Well done!

Post by cmbourget » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:15 pm

tubesniffer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm
The new GUI is a pain to be very honest.

viewtopic.php?f=291&t=159038
Same with Cubase 10. HORRIBLE interface. It looks like a game or a Garage Band for Hip-Hop. I came back to version 9.5 or Pro Tools. Why always change what is good?
Cubase 10, Pro Tools 2019.5
PC Windows 10, Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 3.30GHz, 8 cores, 64 Go
PrismSound Titan, Solo Be and Focal sub

cmbourget

Post by cmbourget » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Centralmusic wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 am
...nevertheless, we should not waste our time with such banalities. (...)
Noteworthy that some users are more interested in the color schemes than the new wonderful N10 features...
But that says a lot.

C.

It's a difference in visual sensitivity. It exists. The one who is insensible does not understand the one who is sensitive. Me, I can not work 8 hours on an interface like the 10. What is needed, since people are different, is to leave the choice. The 9.5 was fine, the 9 left even more freedom on the interface. The 10 is the smallest in possibility. It would be necessary to be able to choose, simply, to widen the freedom of comfort, not to impose on each version different things.
Cubase 10, Pro Tools 2019.5
PC Windows 10, Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 3.30GHz, 8 cores, 64 Go
PrismSound Titan, Solo Be and Focal sub

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:01 pm

More GUi color/brightness/etc ... preferences are coming with the next update.
And I think you already can get far with tweaking the current parameters.
As far as I remember you should be able to make N10 look exactly like N8 or N2.
Been a while since I've played with the parameters though ... I can be mistaking.

Fredo

Dietz

Post by Dietz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:03 pm

Fredo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:01 pm
[...] you should be able to make N10 look exactly like [...] N2. [...]
NU2 (or even 5)? Errrr .... no. This would mean to return to a visually "quiet" GUI without stuff flickering nervously as soon as the cursor touches things on fly-by. *cough, cough* ProT**ls ... :roll:
/Dietz

| audio | engineering | music | production |
| soundware | development |

| Nuendo versions from 5.5.6 to 10.0.2 | on various systems and platforms |
| Steinberg user since the 80ies | Nuendo user and forum member since 2000 |

Dolfo

Post by Dolfo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm

I don't like export window now. You must open several options when in N8 you could see all the settings at one sigh, and name of file was highlighted when you opened window.

The "detect silence" window now looks smaller and waveform is not as smooth as before. You can zoom but, why don't can resize window to get the desired size?

Same in track settings window, now is not resizable.

For adjust for example the pre-roll setting, in N8 you simply put the cursor over the number you want to change and with mouse wheel you modify it. Now you have to select it I don't know how because with right click you open the tool dialog and select name at same time :o Then you click outside tool box and can change the number... uf, lots of clicks.
MacPro 12 cores 3,06GHz 32GB RAM / OSX 10.14.5
Nuendo 10 (4 rooms) / Cubase Pro 10
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Yamaha DM2000 V2 / Yamaha 01V96 V2 / Houston
MOTU 896HD mk3 / MOTU Traveler / MOTU 8Pre / MIDI Express 128 / MOTU MTPII

Jim Fox

Post by Jim Fox » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 am

Looks better here. All text is clearer to read. I use dual monitors 1920x1080 resolution.

Thanks SB
N10.x, Win7-64bit, i7 Quad Core 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, RME MADI, RME AES-32, Intensity Pro, Powercore PCIeMkII

Fredo
External Moderator

Post by Fredo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 am

Dolfo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm
I don't like export window now. You must open several options when in N8 you could see all the settings at one sigh, and name of file was highlighted when you opened window.
The export window will change in one of the next maintenance releases.
There was no time to have it completed for the initial N10 release.
A few things in the current layout are completely unlogical and contra-intuitive.

Fredo

Robin Walsh

Post by Robin Walsh » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 am

I actually like the export window now. It’s smaller, and after spending a little time getting to know it, it’s a pleasure
Nuendo 10.02 - Windows 10 - i9 9900K - nVidia GeForce 1060 - RME Raydat - Amphion

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am

White text on dark background is Indeed easier to read in high light viewing conditions. .
However reading text is not what I do when working in Nuendo.
And most sound for video folks do not work in a high light level situation as that makes it hard to see the picture. Mostly we work in low light level situations.

Have you ever tried iBooks or similar reading apps?
Tried the night mode for low light level reading?
What does night mode do?
Invert black and white to make it easier on the eyes in low light level reading situations...

Personally I much prefer the dark gui look compared to PT. PT destroys my night vision.

We all see things differently.
Filmlance
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 2k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Dolfo

Post by Dolfo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:44 am

Fredo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 am
Dolfo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:21 pm
A few things in the current layout are completely unlogical and contra-intuitive.

Fredo
Uf, thanks for the reply Fredo. I work all time in very different kind of projects and the export settings must be changed for every one. I need to see all the settings at one sight.
MacPro 12 cores 3,06GHz 32GB RAM / OSX 10.14.5
Nuendo 10 (4 rooms) / Cubase Pro 10
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
Yamaha DM2000 V2 / Yamaha 01V96 V2 / Houston
MOTU 896HD mk3 / MOTU Traveler / MOTU 8Pre / MIDI Express 128 / MOTU MTPII

Heiner Einbier

Post by Heiner Einbier » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:00 pm

To all guys be *witch*' about the new GUI 2 things:
1. You can brighten it up all you want in the prefs.
2. Professionals who work to picture cherish dark GUIs. The first thing I used to do in new versions of Nuendo is darken everything. So I personally, and lots of other folks I'm sure who use Nuendo for a day's work, are quite happy.
ASUS/Intel Z270 chipset - Core i7-7700K CPU 4.2GHz - 32GB RAM
RME Fireface UCX, current driver
BlackMagic DeckLink MiniMonitor SDI, current driver
AVID Artist mix, current driver
Windows 10

Asus Notebook Core i7 5500U 12 GB RAM
Windows 10

Nuendo 10
Cubase Pro 10

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Heiner Einbier wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:00 pm
To all guys be *witch*' about the new GUI 2 things:
1. You can brighten it up all you want in the prefs.
2. Professionals who work to picture cherish dark GUIs.
The first thing I used to do in new versions of Nuendo is darken everything.
So I personally, and lots of other folks I'm sure who use Nuendo for a day's work, are quite happy.
+1.

ditto.

"They told us all they wanted was a sound that could kill someone from a distance" (Kate Bush, Experiment IV)
"Do you already know the manual?" ^^
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?" ^^

smrproductions

Post by smrproductions » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:25 am

Fredo wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 am

Fredo
Hopefully the export window becomes resizable as well like it was in N8.
The size of the cycle marker selection in the export window is smaller than before and if you have lots of similar names markers that are only different towards the end you can't tell the difference. You can't even scroll horizontally across the cycle marker names.

Also bugs me that Channel Settings window can no longer be resized either. It used to be in N8. Hopefully that's another one on the to be fixed list.

And while I'm at it, in the markers window if you press the up and down arrow to select a different marker it also changes the selected track in the background and you can no longer press enter to edit the marker name.

On the plus side I really like the darker interface overall, just feels a little unfinished and buggy.
Simon - SMR Productions
MacPro, Nuendo 10, RME FireFace UFX, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 12, iZotope RX-7 and Ozone

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:48 am

Fredo wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:01 pm
More GUi color/brightness/etc ... preferences are coming with the next update.
And I think you already can get far with tweaking the current parameters.
As far as I remember you should be able to make N10 look exactly like N8 or N2.
Been a while since I've played with the parameters though ... I can be mistaking.

Fredo
Now THIS is good news!
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Windows 10 LTSB N

tubesniffer

Post by tubesniffer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 am

cmbourget wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 pm
Centralmusic wrote:
Noteworthy that some users are more interested in the color schemes than the new wonderful N10 features...
But that says a lot.

C.

It's a difference in visual sensitivity. It exists. The one who is insensible does not understand the one who is sensitive. Me, I can not work 8 hours on an interface like the 10. What is needed, since people are different, is to leave the choice. The 9.5 was fine, the 9 left even more freedom on the interface. The 10 is the smallest in possibility. It would be necessary to be able to choose, simply, to widen the freedom of comfort, not to impose on each version different things.
Good point.

Now I expect from a professional product / company to find and solve the root cause, to deliver a certain continuity
for _all_ customers to make it possible to upgrade and work free of any stress.
Best regards
TS
Win7 SP1, Xeon E5-1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32GB DRAM, MSI GTX980 4G, Samsung 960 EVO/950 Pro
Sonnet Allegro Pro (FL1100): RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS, ARC USB, Geithain RL906D, Audeze LCD-3

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm

In my humble opinion, customisation is key to this never ending story.

Whether dark or bright GUI, the most important thing in any GUI is visual separation of the individual sections, as long as those are meaningfully organised to begin with.

In my experience, icons make limited sense if screen real estate is abundant. Text on buttons is always more self explanatory hence faster to grasp.
Both make sense in their respective context...I guess it's all in the mix ( no pun intended ).

There's loads of vintage GUI paradigms that got lost over the course of history. My all-time favourite is this one:

http://www.erimez.com/misc/Softimage/tu ... select.gif

Note the last entry on the bottom of each menu ( and more importantly, each submenu ): EXIT POPUP

What this does is the following: once invoke a menu, the cursor disappears and the selection is stuck inside the menu's list. In order to close the dialog ( that'd be for instance if you choose not execute a function contained therein ), one would just pull down the mouse and hit the left button...to trigger EXIT POPUP.

This completely eradicates the commonly known problem that you accidentally slip out of menus and submenus, having to painstakingly re-navigate.

It simply prevents this from happening, a HUGE time saver. And it's likewise super fast to exit the menu if you need to, with both the mouse or alternatively ESC ( closes the menu all together ).

I've never come across this brilliant idea anywhere else that in Softimage 3D. Most people go: "huh, how annoying is that?"

well, try it and see for yourself...

Edit: I am just realising this is a bit off topic with respect to EXIT POPUP. It rather addresses UX-related aspects, to which in turn the GUI is integral part off. I simply wanted to stress that, besides stability and feature set, usability is a major contributor to the efficiency of any given software.
Last edited by lordExtra on Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HP z820, dual 6core Xeon 2643v3 3.5GHz, 64GB, AMD FirePro 5100, Samsung 850pro, UAD Octo PCIe, 2x RME Raydat, Cubase Pro 9.5.41, Windows 10 LTSB N

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:54 pm

tubesniffer wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 am
cmbourget wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 pm
Centralmusic wrote:
But that says a lot.

C.

Good point.

Now I expect from a professional product / company to find and solve the root cause, to deliver a certain continuity
for _all_ customers to make it possible to upgrade and work free of any stress.

Very well put!

Dietz

Post by Dietz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:34 pm

lordExtra wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm
[...]
In my experience, icons make limited sense if screen real estate is abundant. Text on buttons is always more self explanatory hence faster to grasp.
[...]
100% agreement! Especially when those icons change their form with every update.
/Dietz

| audio | engineering | music | production |
| soundware | development |

| Nuendo versions from 5.5.6 to 10.0.2 | on various systems and platforms |
| Steinberg user since the 80ies | Nuendo user and forum member since 2000 |

lordExtra

Post by lordExtra » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:46 pm

Dietz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:34 pm
lordExtra wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 pm
[...]
[...]
100% agreement! Especially when those icons change their form with every update.
Thank you, glad I'm not alone on this one.

A prime example is Autodesk Flame, which actually spans over more than 5000 pages of manual. There's hardly any icons in there, and it's amongst the easiest software to operate, in spite of its vast feature set.

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/ ... 0x1080.jpg

Return to “General”