Disturbing, eye-unfriendly light/dark contrasts in menus and icons

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
tubesniffer

Re: Disturbing, eye-unfriendly light/dark contrasts in menus and icons

Post by tubesniffer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:46 pm

Ok, then here some HW details:

GPU: MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
Monitor: EIZO EV2333W, 23", 1920x1080 (calibrated)

Works all perfect with Cubase 9.5.41 (and Nuendo 8.3, but have no access to it anymore).
Best regards
TS
Steinberg: please deliver eye-friendly GUI again like in Cubase 9.5 / Nuendo 8.3
Win 7 SP1, Xeon E5-1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32GB ECC RAM, MSI GTX980 4G, Samsung 960 EVO/950 Pro, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB (ST3000DM008), Seagate 10TB (ST10000NM0016), Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 PCIe (4xFL1100) // RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE, ADI-2 DAC, ARC USB, RayDAT, Geithain RL906D, Audeze LCD-3

Davyg 44

Post by Davyg 44 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 am

Hi Folks
I had the same problem as everyone else on this forum regarding glaringly bright contrast problems. This might sound kind of obvious but what I did to semi fix the problem was to go to edit and select Preferences and click on colour schemes under user Interface then click Defaults ( bottom left) then if you navigate to choose Colour Scheme click on the darkest square and things should look a lot better.
Hope this helps
David

TheBongman

Post by TheBongman » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Resuming this thread.

- I'm right!
- No I am right!
- No, your an idiot. I'm right!
- You are the idiot. I'm right!
- There are studies that says I'm right!
- No, these studies are wrong, my studies are right! So, I'm right!

Come on people! I really like the new GUI, but it doesn't mean everybody should think the way I think. The problem is Steinberg is not giving users much options as it used to do in the past. Just that.
Rodrigo Sepúlveda
N10 | N8.3 | Cubasis | Intel i7 | 32 GB | MR816csx | UR22mkII | Euphonix MC Mix & Control | Genelec 1030A + 1092A - 5.1
Halion | HSO | iZotope RX | NI Komplete Ultimate | EastWest Composer Cloud | +++

tubesniffer

Post by tubesniffer » Sat May 18, 2019 9:52 pm

Davyg 44 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 am
Hi Folks
I had the same problem as everyone else on this forum regarding glaringly bright contrast problems. This might sound kind of obvious but what I did to semi fix the problem was to go to edit and select Preferences and click on colour schemes under user Interface then click Defaults ( bottom left) then if you navigate to choose Colour Scheme click on the darkest square and things should look a lot better.
Hope this helps
David
Nuendo support should have come with such a proposal.

The guy who supported me was shortly before vacation but said we can shift the 14d money back further while he is further investigating after his vacation. I wanted to have this in written form that I can give product back even later than 14d after online ordering.
Steinberg came back later by e-mail telling me that they can't confirm this to me in written form :-(

This was the key reason, why we could not work on this more in detail and that I had to give the product back, not to loose the money and sit on a product with which I feel uncomfortably to work with.

Was kind of wasted time and money for the phone call and I am dissatisfied with Steinberg not to really work on issues if you need their support (maybe second time in the last 15+ years ...). And this is then premium support for a premium product ...
Best regards
TS
Steinberg: please deliver eye-friendly GUI again like in Cubase 9.5 / Nuendo 8.3
Win 7 SP1, Xeon E5-1650v3, Supermicro X10SRi-F, 32GB ECC RAM, MSI GTX980 4G, Samsung 960 EVO/950 Pro, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB (ST3000DM008), Seagate 10TB (ST10000NM0016), Sonnet Allegro Pro USB3.0 PCIe (4xFL1100) // RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE, ADI-2 DAC, ARC USB, RayDAT, Geithain RL906D, Audeze LCD-3

McSound

Post by McSound » Sun May 19, 2019 6:51 pm

My cent ot this )... It's just fine for me with the default colors of Nuenfo 10. The tools icons is more intelligible now. But surely there must be choice and maybe skins cause tastes differ.
Nuendo 8.3.20 Nuendo 10 , Samplitude ProX4, Win 10x64 pro, i7, 16Gb, 256SSD, Gigabyte GTX 760, Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor, Presonus VSL1818, 2 monitors, 1 tv, Avid Artist Control v2, Liine Lemur, Yamaha MOX8 keyboard

PleaseDontBanMe

Post by PleaseDontBanMe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm

WastingYourTime wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:06 pm
Teh Asphyx wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:55 am
Black writing on white background is easier to read on paper.
On screens it is the opposite, white writing on black background is easier to read and more eye-friendly.
That is because a screen creates light (active) while a paper absorbs or reflects light (passive).
A white background means that far too much light comes directly to your eyes and they will be tired much sooner.
You have no idea what you are talking about and I could bet you don't even talk from experience but from a wrong theory and so your entire thread makes no sense.
Calibrate your screen properly.
Which is why most websites (including this one) are dark text on white? Most text writing programs such as microsoft word?

Wtf are you going off about mate?

What software are you experiencing? Video programs maybe, that's because if one is working with video they don't want distracting colours/light - they only want to be monitoring that within the video itself, not the video editor.

The only reason there was ever white text on black is because the early days of computer that was the most sensical low power way to display any graphic on screen. The modern reason today, would be in coding programs, but that's because coders color-code the different types and sections of code to make it easier to identify different parts of what they are working on which otherwise just looks like a jumble of text, ie it's hard to see yellow on white, bright green on white, etc, etc..

I have a relatively new screen, it's a LG ultrawide, not quite 4k, but it's in the 3k pixel range, everything looks clear and is easy to read until I start looking at Cubase dialogue boxes, preset lists, etc, etc. This is undeniable. Terrible GUI design.

There are already pages and pages of people on the Cubase forum discussing this.

viewtopic.php?f=283&t=150467

viewtopic.php?f=285&t=156498

no contest as to which is better.

*edit*

Not to mention, the darker a screen, the more it becomes reflective to external light... lights in your room, gear lights on your desk, sunlight, etc.
This looks fantastic +1!

tubesniffer

Post by tubesniffer » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:32 am

I do not talk about contrasts of the GUI in general.

I talk about eye irritating white dark contrasts in
- icons to control the mouse function
- hub file selection
- and if I remember right also transports

Below screenshots of the relevant sections, how it was much better in Cubase 9 and older versions.

Take also into consideration, that having a 23" Full HD Screen could also result into a difference,
because Cubase icons will most likely appea bigger compared to screens with maybe much higher 4k resolution.

Here you see the icons like they were in Cubase9 / Nuendo 8 and older versions.
There is no nerving white on dark to show the function of the icon, my eye can directly identify the function
and is not irritated by blending white areas on dark. Simply black lines to show you the icons function.

Also the black from of Steinberg HUB for project selection, etc is much better to read.
In Cubase10/Nuendo 10 the fonts are bigger and white on dark is again not eye friendly.
I have problems to focus my eye on that.

I do not remember the transport field in Nuendo/Cubase 10 exactly, but I think there was a similar problem.
In older versions it was much better and the functions were clearer to see / identify for eyes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/buv4qk6jaf7s0 ... d.jpg?dl=1
Best regards
TS

lumcas

Post by lumcas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 am

Bleeding Eyes.png
Bleeding Eyes
(651.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “General”