N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
jpgtr

Re: N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

Post by jpgtr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:19 pm

I can confirm my copy of N10.1 is running stable after reverting/installing the 32 bit version David linked to above. (Thanks, David!)

Again, no error messages for this week since downgrading to the 32 bit e-licensor app. Nuendo is so much nicer to work with now!
2012 Mac Pro 10.13.6, 24 GB RAM, Nuendo 10.1 UAD-2 Duo

b0ernie

Post by b0ernie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm

... still unreliable! And for sure I´m not the only one clicking and changing the eLicensers around!

ffg

Post by ffg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 pm

b0ernie wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm
... still unreliable! And for sure I´m not the only one clicking and changing the eLicensers around!
Did you try this version of the E-Licenser Control app?

You may already have this version of the e-licenser app, but this is the one which fixed it for me. Note that it's NOT the same as the latest version of the app which the e-licenser website points to.

Thank you for contacting Steinberg Technical Support.

Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

https://download.steinberg.net/static_c ... ontrol.dmg
best wishes

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 8.3
Cubase 9.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX 10.12
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800

ltf3

Post by ltf3 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Me too.

Installed N10 Demo on a completely fresh OS 10.13.6 install and I keep getting "USB Licenser error change ports". I have always run the licenser on a powered USB 3 hub no problems. On this install it is flakey on a USB Hub and a USB Port on a thunderbolt dock. Getting it directly into a computer port is hard due to other gear... but it did seem to stabilize things.

I actually have two licensers. One with just Nuendo and another with Instruments, plug ins, a older Cubase version, and so on. At one point the error message asked me to do maintenance on the dongle. So i did ( using the version of eLicencer installed with N10 demo ). It did the maintainer cycle on both dongles then told me the second dongle with all my instruments was "Broken". Thats what it said in the Dongle column too. "Broken"! This persisted for a few restarts and dongle re-insertions but eventually it came back fine. I don't think the dongle is Broken... it would be a mighty coincidence if it chose this exact time to begin to fail.

somethings up...
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 10, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.13.6, IMac Quad Core 3.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Graphics 4GB

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:55 pm

New one today. This error popped up during a session and I ended up having to force-quit Nuendo. :evil:

Booting N10.1 has been pretty smooth since reverting back to the 32-bit eLicensor, but clearly SB has a major problem on their hands with Nuendo and the eLicensor. Hope they're making fixing eLicensor issues a #1, urgent, top priority!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.46.37 AM.png
(49.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet

ltf3

Post by ltf3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:34 pm

Yup... I got this one today.

"e Licenser Control error
Application Nuendo has caused the following error
Failed to send Getinfo command"

( how do I get screen shots to upload when I submit... ?)

Then it goes into a sequence or errors about changing USB ports while Nuendo seems to keep trying to launch in the background. Once it even succeeded! Other times I have to reboot.
Moving the key seems to work for a bit ... but them it fails again and I move it back to where it once failed before and its fine.

Using a good Anker USM 3 power hub, and an OWC Thunderbolt Hub for extra ports on a 27" iMac. Never had a dongle issue before N10. Just saying.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 6.24.41 PM.png
(22.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lee

Cubase 8.5, Nuendo 10, Cubasis ( gotta luv it ), Arturia Audio Fuse, OS 10.13.6, IMac Quad Core 3.2 GHz i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Graphics 4GB

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:22 pm

This morning I received a "Connection to protection device lost." error message. sigh... I will try bypassing the USB hub and plugging the dongle directly into a computer USB port for a bit.

This Nuendo dongle calamity is seriously tarnishing my opinion of Steinberg software. Have tried all suggested solutions from repairing, updating & reinstalling eLicensor, to reverting back to the 32 bit version. I seriously can't recall having to spend so much time trouble-shooting software!

JayRoseCAS

Post by JayRoseCAS » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Same "failed to send getinfo" error ever since I put in 10.1. Moved to 10.2 and updated and then resynchronized the eLicenser software didn't help.

Nuendo seems to launch after this one error -- which is better than the multiple errors and abort I was getting with 10.0 -- and I haven't noticed any functionality missing. Yet.

Mac 10.13.6 on a 3.2GHz Quad cheese grater.
Lots of useful stuff......and info on my studio...
at http://www.jayrose.com. Or check my book, now used at most US film schools, at GreatSound.info.
(Nuendo setup: 10+..., Mac 10.13+ on 3.2GHzQuad 8GB, MOTU 2408, Blackmagic Intensity, TC Powercore updated to current OS, MCP plus expander, Steinberg mini control panels, lots of plugins, SoundMiner.)

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 am

Since I did my trickery I posted about earlier in the thread I have never had a single elicenser issue. And we have twelve systems here.
What the solution was? I don't know for sure but it was cheap, easy to do, and my issues went away. Not sure if it is the same for the rest of you though.

My personal theory is that the new versions put higher demands of fast response from the license key and a old dongle paired with inadequate USB connections just isn't fast enough.
I might be totally wrong though.

I Replaced my old long dongle with a brand new short one and replaced my old USB hub and extenders and I decided to put the license key directly on the machine.

If you have issues and you haven't done this I suggest you do, AND report back if successful or not so we get more than a few anecdotal it works or it doesn't.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

ffg

Post by ffg » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:43 am

ErikG wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:11 am
As mentioned in the n8 thread.
Try phydicslltcreplscing elicenser or USB hibs/extenders.
I had a bunch of errors and after replacing it no more issues.
Is this the fix you're talking about Erik?

'Fraid I don't understand it...

When I was deep into these problems a few months ago I did replace my very elderly dongles (early 2000's) and although it helped, it made the boot/reboot/launch cycle considerably faster, it certainly DIDN'T fix the errors. However, installing and using the 32 bit app has worked and I've had maybe one or two errors only since then (instead of multiple errors every day).

BTW the problem is by no means limited to N10. I had it with N8 and Cubase 10, and lots of the E-Licenser protected plugins.

Not sure what I'll do when OSX goes fully 64 bit, but I'm usually slow to upgrade the OS and hopefully Steinberg will have the issue sorted well before that.
best wishes

David

Nuendo 8.3
Cubase 9.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:34 pm

Sorry about the old post weirdness. I must have been drunk or written without proofreading (a bad habit I'm afraid).

I rarely reboot or crash using Nuendo. I did have severe elicense issues, after replacing all USB hubs, cabling and dongle I have had zero issues. Either I was lucky or there's some weird voodoo around
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

JayRoseCAS

Post by JayRoseCAS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Just saw something interesting.
I'd been running N10 happily all morning, and broke for lunch. Quit N10.2, put the Mac to sleep...

Came back, gave Mac time to wake up, everything looked stable, and launched N10.
LOTS of license errors. More than just the usual failure to GetInfo; in this case many more warning dialogs. Force-Quit N.
Opened eLicenser and watched it settle down. Didn't bother re-syncing.
Tried to launch N10 again while eLicenser window was open...
While N10 is doing its startup, there are frequent calls back to eLicenser. Each time, eLicenser has to blank its window, check my licenses again, and respond. The poor license software is going crazy, instead of saying just once "he's legit".

This time -- with licenser window open -- everything launched without a problem.

Hypothesis: if eLicenser isn't open for each call, it has to restart. Depending on your system, that might take too long and generate an error.
So to test and gather more data, I'm going to leave the eLicenser open each time I try to start. See if helps...

ffg

Post by ffg » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes, I noticed the multiple calls on the e-licenser and I think this is normal. If the app is open you can see the calls going through. However I didn't find it made any difference to the actual errors occurring, if the app was open or not.

These seem to help:

Having a newish dongle
Mount the dongle on one of the computer's USB busses, not a hub

However I did all these and still got errors, the only thing that fixed it for me was the 32 bit E-licenser app.
best wishes

David

Nuendo 8.3
Cubase 9.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800

jpgtr

Post by jpgtr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

Update:

Have had smooth sailing lately (knock on wood) since downgrading to the 32-bit elicensor AND plugging directly into a computer USB port (vs. the hub I previously used problem-free with Cubase for years).

Update 9/13/19:

Spoke too soon. Will try the latest 64-bit version. sigh...

b0ernie

Post by b0ernie » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Guys, its not nice to f... arround everytime with the eLicenser Control, it works for a while and than ... same procedure, uninstall, reinstall, plug direct, change the USB port ... all of the above I fully underline, and helps but its not reliable at all.
Happy eLicensing :()

Return to “General”