HINT! HINT! HINT!

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
drorh4

Re: HINT! HINT! HINT!

Post by drorh4 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:16 am

JezCorbett wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:44 pm
drorh4 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:37 am
my 2 cents. and I already said too much on this matter in the past.

1. I never ever had problems with ilok but also elicenser was always good to me.
2. Protools using iCloud and never been hacked. last hacked version was 12.5.....long time ago.
3. I really trust the better judgment of the Steinberg team with no letting hacking happened again. So...
What changed during the periods when these packages weren't cracked?

Did we suddenly see a massive improvement in development speed, new feature developments and updates, and cutting in prices?

No.
wait What?
what this has to do with anything I wrote?
OSX sierra 10.12.6 (MacBook pro mid12)
Win10 (desktop studio PC)
Nuendo 8.3.20 - Wavelab 9.5
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite
Waves/plugin Alliance/Soundtoys

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri May 17, 2019 8:18 pm

JezCorbett wrote:

Did we suddenly see a massive improvement in development speed, new feature developments and updates, and cutting in prices?

No.

Preventing piracy makes no difference to the consumer. The methods to prevent it just hurt us with hassle.

NO MORE DONGLES!
Ok, I think I need to put a few things right....

First of all, the eLicenser (eLC) system development has nothing to do with program features and updates. The teams are different, the work is different.
Secondly, I believe there HAS BEEN an improvement in development speed, increasing number of releases, 2 free feature updates in 2018 (N8.2, N8.3) and with Nuendo 10 the closest release to a prior Cubase version in the history of the Nuendo product line (everyone remembers the "leapfrogging" discussion).
Thirdly, we cut prices for almost all product versions of Nuendo 10, including updates.

So I believe it's a bit unfair to state that "nothing" has changed. That said, this has nothing to do with copy protection.

Regarding eLc: the dongle will be there for the time being, but the inflexibility and error-rate of the hardware protection is clearly
known to us. And I can safely say that the current system won't stay forever...

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

dust

Post by dust » Sat May 18, 2019 8:38 am

Don’t get me wrong. I would be very happy not to bring my eLicencer (and iLok and USB key with licenses) with me every time. But this concept allows me to have all the licenses and thus software available on both my Win 10 mix computer at home and my MacBook Pro recording computer and buy everything just once. So if a change would mean that I would have to buy a second copy of Nuendo or Cubase I would not be so happy about it. I don’t know if this is a common scenario but I’ve been wiring this way since I got Nuendo 1.6. Only that I used a windows laptop back then.

JezCorbett

Post by JezCorbett » Wed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:18 pm
JezCorbett wrote:

No.

Preventing piracy makes no difference to the consumer. The methods to prevent it just hurt us with hassle.

NO MORE DONGLES!
Ok, I think I need to put a few things right....

First of all, the eLicenser (eLC) system development has nothing to do with program features and updates. The teams are different, the work is different.
Secondly, I believe there HAS BEEN an improvement in development speed, increasing number of releases, 2 free feature updates in 2018 (N8.2, N8.3) and with Nuendo 10 the closest release to a prior Cubase version in the history of the Nuendo product line (everyone remembers the "leapfrogging" discussion).
Thirdly, we cut prices for almost all product versions of Nuendo 10, including updates.

So I believe it's a bit unfair to state that "nothing" has changed. That said, this has nothing to do with copy protection.

Regarding eLc: the dongle will be there for the time being, but the inflexibility and error-rate of the hardware protection is clearly
known to us. And I can safely say that the current system won't stay forever...

Thanks,
Timo
Fair, but I guess this also backs up my point rather than refuting it.

Dongle copy protection - does it actually increase your revenue?

Again - literally NO other professional field of software still uses dongles. Why does audio?
Work system: Nuendo 8.3.20 | Windows 10 | Intel i7-4770 | 32GB RAM
Home system: Nuendo 5.5 | Windows 10 | Intel i7 3770 | 16GB RAM

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm

JezCorbett wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm
Fair, but I guess this also backs up my point rather than refuting it.

Dongle copy protection - does it actually increase your revenue?
10 dollars says that Timo didn't read your question the way you intended it.

Your argument is similar to the one about illegally shared music: "Well, if I couldn't have gotten this music without paying I wouldn't have gotten it at all" in a nutshell.

Here's the thing:
JezCorbett wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm
Again - literally NO other professional field of software still uses dongles. Why does audio?
When I walked into studios in the beginning of this century the computers were filled with cracked software. Even professional studios were. People didn't even lift an eyebrow it seems. You'd open an insert slot to insert a plugin and you got a list so long it would have taken a roll of toilet paper to fit it all.

And then more and more shifted to iLok for example and I saw fewer and fewer studios using cracked software. More and more switching over. More stable systems, more quality plugins. Less "noise" if you will.

The thing is that we could "get away with it" in our industry, but in other "professional" fields you can't. You can't use cracked software in banking, health care, retail etc. It's just not feasible. And so you have to look at what the most reasonable reaction to all the 'theft' was in our industry, and it really seems it was using a dongle. In other industries there were other means of keeping things kosher, things that had to do with the industries themselves. And we didn't have as much, quick internet access back then as we do now (which reminds me that a lot of people are complaining about keeping computers online, so there's that too regarding license authorizations). So that's why I think the comparison isn't really that great.

But yeah, these days some do it differently and skip the dongle and use other types of authorization.

Here's the thing though:

"I can safely say that the current system won't stay forever..."

I know I'm whining about whining.. but they've heard you loud and clear, many times... moveondotorg?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Personally, I have no problem with the elicenser.

Then again, I will have to say that Plug-in Alliance has a pretty great and easy protection system, in my experience. I do like their model quite a bit and it is dongle free. Has that been cracked, as far as anyone knows?
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm

MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm

When I walked into studios in the beginning of this century the computers were filled with cracked software. Even professional studios were. People didn't even lift an eyebrow it seems. You'd open an insert slot to insert a plugin and you got a list so long it would have taken a roll of toilet paper to fit it all.
So true. For years, even "pros" stayed on an older version of PT because they didn't want to lose their hundreds of cracked plugins, which didn't work on the newer (and better) revisions of PT.

(Short rant). From a morality standpoint, what irony that an industry built on Intellectual Property Rights and Royalties as music creators was such a massive violator of the IP rights of software creators. The hypocrisy was/is astounding.

Humans.....
N10.0.20 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4.3GHz with x7 SSDs - Win 7/64 - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad - VEP

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 am

Getalife2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm
So true. For years, even "pros" stayed on an older version of PT because they didn't want to lose their hundreds of cracked plugins, which didn't work on the newer (and better) revisions of PT.

(Short rant). From a morality standpoint, what irony that an industry built on Intellectual Property Rights and Royalties as music creators was such a massive violator of the IP rights of software creators. The hypocrisy was/is astounding.

Humans.....
Bring back the "like button" please...
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

GTBannah

Post by GTBannah » Sun May 26, 2019 12:28 am

Getalife2 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm
MattiasNYC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Humans.....
:lol: :lol:
Derrkins

If that's really what you hear, Play It, Sing It, Write It or Program It!

Mac Mini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; OS X El Sierra 10.12.4; Nuendo 8.3.20.345, Sibelius 7.5, iPad Pro 13", Cubasis, WaveLab 9.00, (Dorico V2.2.0.1108). (Loving it).

Return to “General”