Stereo > Mono

Post general topics related to Nuendo 10 here.
fenderchris

Stereo > Mono

Post by fenderchris » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:19 pm

If I drop a stereo file on to a mono track in Nuendo the L/R wave-forms are still visible on the mono track but the track plays, presumably in mono. How would that differ from converting a stereo file to mono in the Pool?

I've tried this with stereo Kick Drum and Hi-Hat recordings and can hear no difference between the original stereo track and the 'mono' versions, but can hear a difference if the same thing is done with a Snare recording (the stereo version sounds bigger and more present). Could this be to do with frequencies or the way the drums were recorded?
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.1903.

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.

Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10.2.10, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

stingray

Re: Stereo > Mono

Post by stingray » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:22 am

fenderchris wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:19 pm
I've tried this with stereo Kick Drum and Hi-Hat recordings and can hear no difference between the original stereo track and the 'mono' versions, but can hear a difference if the same thing is done with a Snare recording (the stereo version sounds bigger and more present). Could this be to do with frequencies or the way the drums were recorded?
Probably phase cancellation in various frequencies. For a snare and associated reverberation the frequencies are likely to be more obvious to the ear than those found in the other recordings.

Return to “General”