(FULFILLED) Setting the Project Cursor Position like Cubase (ALT-SHIFT+CLICK)

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Nuendo 10 can be posted here.
Iftekharul Anam

(FULFILLED) Setting the Project Cursor Position like Cubase (ALT-SHIFT+CLICK)

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:44 pm

I can not believe I am requesting something that is already in Nuendo 10 according to the manual
N10.jpg
(1.08 MiB) Not downloaded yet

But since it is not there in action, can you please provide it? It can be anything like ALT-SHIFT+CLICK or Anything+CLICK

This is so convenient to use in Cubase.
Last edited by Iftekharul Anam on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.youtube.com/musicanam

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Ryzen™ 7 1700X, X370, GTX 970

Graveley

Re: Setting the Project Cursor Position like Cubase (ALT-SHIFT+CLICK)

Post by Graveley » Thu May 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Ditto. (I thought there was something wrong with my alt key!)
Would be great to get this function implemented.
N10 Windows 7

bender-offender

Post by bender-offender » Sat May 11, 2019 4:30 am

Very much +1!

I use Cubase and Nuendo, and the Alt-Shift-Click is such a great feature in Cubase for jumping around quickly without needing to go up to the timeline or entering bars/time via the QWERTY keyboard. One of the best "silent" features introduced in Cubase 9 (9.5?).
8 core Mac Pro 6,1 | Cubase 10 & 9.5.41 | Nuendo 10.0.20 | Mac OS Sierra | RME UFX+ | A couple PC slaves | VE Pro 7 | Purple Cape

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 am

it will never get alt+shift +click unless manually assigned by a user.
Why?
Because it was a mistake as alt+shift+click and drag is moving sound within a audio event and has been for many years.

I would love the feature itself but it has to work without breaking existing work flows.
And as far as I can tell steinberg is just about out of modifier key combinations.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Sat May 11, 2019 10:39 am

ErikG wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 am
Why?
Because it was a mistake as alt+shift+click and drag is moving sound within a audio event and has been for many years.

I would love the feature itself but it has to work without breaking existing work flows.
And as far as I can tell steinberg is just about out of modifier key combinations.
Well, like I proposed before, it can be Anything+Click. We can perhaps have options for if I use a particular key for this, I can't use it for something else and so on. That should leave us the choice of personal modifications.

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

Jantex

Post by Jantex » Sun May 12, 2019 11:59 pm

Agree, this is a must have and it saved me so much mouse movement and sped up my workflow in Cubase. This is the biggest drawback for me now that I upgraded to Nuendo and I regret it simply because of this particular feature.

What is even more disappointing is that it is mentioned in the manual but not implemented. Sometimes I ask myself whether anyone at Steinberg actually tries to use the feature before putting it in the manual.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 am

I have not tried N10 yet, but in N8 clicking anywhere on the lower part of the ruler works perfectly for me, and it's just a one-handed single click. Could not be easier.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.1903.

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram.
Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-7.1.40, Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10 Trial, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

ArchimonDe

Post by ArchimonDe » Mon May 13, 2019 11:59 am

+1
Add this. I've gotten used to it from Cubase 10. Moving audio inside of event is Ctrl+Alt in my settings, Alt+Shift works great. Also you can set your modifier keys however you want, but Set Position is just missing.
Main: Nuendo 10.1 (latest), Steinberg UR22 mkII, Windows 10 Pro, CPU i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM DDR3, GTX 1060 6 GB, SSDs

Secondary: Cubase PRO 10 (latest), Steinberg UR242, Windows 10 Pro, CPU i7 6700HQ, 32 GB RAM DDR3, GTX 960M, SSHD

bender-offender

Post by bender-offender » Mon May 13, 2019 5:15 pm

Iftekharul Anam wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:39 am
ErikG wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 am
Why?

Well, like I proposed before, it can be Anything+Click. We can perhaps have options for if I use a particular key for this, I can't use it for something else and so on. That should leave us the choice of personal modifications.
Agreed. Since modifier keys are customizable in Nuendo/Cubase, give the user the option to assign the “Set Position” command.
8 core Mac Pro 6,1 | Cubase 10 & 9.5.41 | Nuendo 10.0.20 | Mac OS Sierra | RME UFX+ | A couple PC slaves | VE Pro 7 | Purple Cape

mozizo

Post by mozizo » Mon May 13, 2019 11:29 pm

+1
cubase Pro 9.5 64bit ,halion 55 , GA45 HS2,HSO,Dark planet,neosoul keys.
Sony vaioF13 i7 CPU win10 redstone 64bit 8gb
Steinberg MR816csx ,MR816x ,UR44 ,CC121
Motif es6-Kawai Mp4-Korg PA4X-MOXF8
cubasis,cubase ic pro

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Tue May 14, 2019 12:46 am

fenderchris wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 am
I have not tried N10 yet, but in N8 clicking anywhere on the lower part of the ruler works perfectly for me, and it's just a one-handed single click. Could not be easier.
I am not sure if you are acquainted with the option mentioned here. You may not even know what you are missing here. I apologize if I am wrong. Anyway, this is about clicking anywhere in the project pane, not only in the ruler at the top, but anywhere regardless of "Empty Spaces", even over audio or midi events.

If you try Cubase to try this feature, you will probably understand that it is much much easier, at least for some us. In fact, it was in Nuendo too (functionally) and apparently it still is in the manual (sadly not functionally).

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Iftekharul Anam wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:46 am
fenderchris wrote:
I am not sure if you are acquainted with the option mentioned here. You may not even know what you are missing here. I apologize if I am wrong. Anyway, this is about clicking anywhere in the project pane, not only in the ruler at the top, but anywhere regardless of "Empty Spaces", even over audio or midi events.

If you try Cubase to try this feature, you will probably understand that it is much much easier, at least for some us. In fact, it was in Nuendo too (functionally) and apparently it still is in the manual (sadly not functionally).
I understand completely, I just do not understand this fixation with wanting/having to click somewhere in the main part of the Project screen (where the tracks are ). If one uses the lower part of the ruler there is no need to click anywhere in the project pane regardless of whether or not there is any 'empty space'. It's just one hand, one finger and one click. Simples.
Chris

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-7.1.40, Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10 Trial, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-5, Halion Sonic 2, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

Jantex

Post by Jantex » Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 pm

fenderchris wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 pm
Iftekharul Anam wrote:
fenderchris wrote:

I understand completely, I just do not understand this fixation with wanting/having to click somewhere in the main part of the Project screen (where the tracks are ). If one uses the lower part of the ruler there is no need to click anywhere in the project pane regardless of whether or not there is any 'empty space'. It's just one hand, one finger and one click. Simples.
This requires additional arm movement, to go on top of the ruler which you don’t need to do with ALT+Shift+left click shortcut.

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm

Jantex wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 pm
fenderchris wrote:
Iftekharul Anam wrote:

This requires additional arm movement, to go on top of the ruler which you don’t need to do with ALT+Shift+left click shortcut.
What! - the arm movement is minimal - you don't actually have to touch the top of the screen!

ALT+Shift+left click requires both arms, and oh yes - it does not work in Nuendo!

Why not use something simple that does work, and just get on with it?

I don't know sometimes ;)
Chris

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 am

fenderchris wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm
Jantex wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:02 pm
fenderchris wrote:

What! - the arm movement is minimal - you don't actually have to touch the top of the screen!

ALT+Shift+left click requires both arms, and oh yes - it does not work in Nuendo!

Why not use something simple that does work, and just get on with it?

I don't know sometimes ;)
If you never used it, it is only natural that you may have no idea how convenient it is. Then again, it may be relative to your own preferences.

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

walzberg

Post by walzberg » Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 am

On the other hand.....
In the Key Editor window the combination of Alt-Shift-left mouse click, makes it possible to place the cursor anywhere in that window without having to hover over(point the mouse to) the bars & beats area!

Not mentioned in the Manual btw!
OS: Windows 7, 64bit, Intel i5 330GHz, 16MB RAM, many TB's on HDD
Cubase Pro 10 (latest & older versions)
Audio interfaces: Steinberg UR824, Focusrite Octopre MKII
Midi controller: Icon QCon ProX controller
Microphones: Neumann U87/TLM103/KM84, various Sennheiser, AKG and Shure, etc.
Sound libraries: EastWest, Ivory piano, Addictive Drums etc.
Studio location: Wateringen (near The Hague, in the Netherlands) www.StudiOjo.nl

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Fri May 24, 2019 8:02 am

walzberg wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 am
On the other hand.....
In the Key Editor window the combination of Alt-Shift-left mouse click, makes it possible to place the cursor anywhere in that window without having to hover over(point the mouse to) the bars & beats area!

Not mentioned in the Manual btw!
Aren't you using Cubase 10? Because, here in Nuendo 10, it doesn't work, at least I can't make it work.

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

walzberg

Post by walzberg » Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi Iftekharul Anam ,

You are absolutely right!
I work with Cubase 10 and that's where my solution works.

So I shouldn't have posted my suggestion here.
Perhaps other Cubase 10 users may pick this up...
OS: Windows 7, 64bit, Intel i5 330GHz, 16MB RAM, many TB's on HDD
Cubase Pro 10 (latest & older versions)
Audio interfaces: Steinberg UR824, Focusrite Octopre MKII
Midi controller: Icon QCon ProX controller
Microphones: Neumann U87/TLM103/KM84, various Sennheiser, AKG and Shure, etc.
Sound libraries: EastWest, Ivory piano, Addictive Drums etc.
Studio location: Wateringen (near The Hague, in the Netherlands) www.StudiOjo.nl

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 pm

walzberg wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Hi Iftekharul Anam ,

You are absolutely right!
I work with Cubase 10 and that's where my solution works.

So I shouldn't have posted my suggestion here.
Perhaps other Cubase 10 users may pick this up...
That's okay. 💜

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

JBF

Post by JBF » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm

It is indeed a very useful feature. Would like to have it Nuendo as well.
The next "to do" on Steinberg List of feature harmonizing between Cubase and Nuendo.
Win8.1/64bit / Core i7-3930K 6*3,20 GHz /GA-X79-UP4/4*16 gb/NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Palit > Cubase 9.0.4 Pro

Iftekharul Anam

Post by Iftekharul Anam » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:49 pm

If you already didn't know, I am very happy to inform you that this feature has been brought back with version 10.2.

Thank you Steinberg for listening to us.

Nuendo 10
WaveLab 9.5 Pro
Windows 10 Pro
Komplete 12 Ultimate

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”