MR816 and Windows 10

Anyone suggest any alternatives?

something with 8 mic pres
Good pres
Firewire
Good drivers that work with windows 10
Something that can be daisy chained

What’s on the market?

Another week without a working Windows 10 driver. Shame on you Steinberg! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

finally i hooked up my MR816 to my win10 laptop (upgraded from win7,although in many ways it’s a downgrade as to user configuration especially,“personalize looks” as far as i can tell).

anyway i downloaded and installed the FW legacy driver,and reinstalled few time MR tools cuz i had problems with “yfwbus” not recognized,but somehow it managed to install :blush: :nerd:

but now all works and i don’t encounter the “sample rate” issues mentioned here. when i change projects with different sample rates Mr816 follows correctly !! or i am missing something ?

Sample rate switching a problem in WDM drivers only. Other have problems with pops clicks etc.using ASIO.
I have a problem with a company not doing what they promise. Happened with multiple units using zero monitoring and now( apparently) with official Windows 10 drivers. Maybe with El Capitan drivers now.
I have never encountered a company that would just refuse to communicate with the owners of their products. It as if any communication with Mr816 in it just goes into some sort of spam folder.

ho i see…

with MR816 steinberg really gone like CIA TOP SECRET underground strategy :unamused: after lot of complains about daisy chained devices not having zero latency finally we got the bad news it won’t work that way.
and other ridiculous thing with MR line is it won’t change sample rate via Adat as slave to other MR via adat(and probably other adat master interfaces)! needs to be connected to FW just to change sample rate.that’s a Badddd workflow!
generally yamaha in my experience is problematic on Fixing stuff and updating firmwares,for example in keyboard department korg always had better support and software upgrades and improvements over yamaha keys even when the product is not that new and probably not so profitable,but thats customer support and trust :neutral_face: :bulb:

about machines upgraded to win10 with MR816 and stutterings,in my experience after upgrading to win10 from win7 i had to redo some tweaks has i had in win7 to eliminate DPC spikes… maybe its one of the issues ?! worth to check

I had an E Mail from support this morning.

“Thank you for contacting the Steinberg support.
I’m very sorry - due to a very high ammount of support inquiries we are receiving at the moment,
we were not able to reply to your support request in a timley manner.

The Windows 10 drivers for the MR 816 should be ready for release next week.

I would like to kindly apologize for the inconvenience.”

Fingers crossed.

I received a similar message from 2 sources at Steinberg this morning. Fingers crossed indeed!

Wow, good news if true, and the drivers work as they should. Fingers crossed here as well. Thanks for the post.

thanks for the info Ed… didn’t noticed on the MR page

is there anyway to make MR816 to follow samplerate changes as a salve to master device via Adat ?Bnc?
this issue is frustrating. maybe im just missing something ?

I cite myself

@Steinberg: Thanks for not forcing me to stand corrected. :slight_smile:

During the winter holidays I’d like to check wether the new FW driver also addresses my initially reported dropout issue (by reverting the already applied working using the FW driver utility)

QDriver

I tore my hair out on this one - it was super frustrating - but somehow I fixed it and eliminated the MR816csx audio dropouts in Windows 10!

1- download the Dec 21 2016 Windows (64bit or 32bit) software package.
2- REMOVE all 3 prior versions of Steinberg Firewire Driver, MR Editor and MR Extension BEFORE attempting to install the NEW versions - do this from Windows Control Panel ADD/REMOVE Programs.
3- UNPACK and install the 2015 DEC 21 versions of the above 3 Steinberg programs. BE SURE you have your MR816 TURNED OFF before you install the software!
4- Turn on the MR816
5- RESTART your PC
6- in the Win 10 taskbar notification area, click on the Yamaha Firewire Driver icon - SLIDE THE ASIO BUFFER slider to MAXIMUM
7- In the folder you unpacked your Steinberg software to, click on the UTILITY folder and run YFSUtility.exe
You are given two options. Select IEEE 1394 Buffer size MAXIMUM and IEEE 1394 Transmission speed 200. Then RESTART your system.

Audio dropouts GONE.

Worked with a Texas Instruments PCI Firewire Card in a DELL XPS 9000 PC. Your mileage may vary.

Best wishes.
Rob

1 Like

As good as their word.

Thank you Steinberg.

Today I’ve installed the december 2015 driver for my MR816csx and I’m pleased to let you all know that those drivers indeed fix the sample rate issue!

So, it took quite a while, but I’m glad to say: thanks Steinberg !

Thank you for the confirmation!

I am glad to be proven wrong. Thank you Steinberg. BTW, crow tastes a lot like chicken…

Thank you Steinberg :slight_smile:

I’ll add my experience with this problem…
I had previously used the MR816x with Windows 7 and Window 10 with the Gigabyte X58 motherboard and Siig 2-port firewire 400 card with no issues.

I just put together a new music computer and it took three days to get it working.

1. I tried two different Intel H110 chipset motherboards along with the Siig 2-port firewire 400 card and I got terrible glitching. The motherboards were a Dell 3650 and an MSI H110M.
  2. I tried everything inlcuding the legacy firewire drivers, disabled LAN, Ethernet, Internal Audio… didn’t work.
  3. Also changed the settings in the MR816x utility and still nothing helped.
  4. I installed a dedicated PCIe grahpics card (GeForce 8400 GS) and no change.
  5. On a whim I decided to try the Siig 3-port firewire 400/800 card. It’s still PCIe and still uses the TI chipset. After uninstalling the MR816x drivers, installing the new firewire card, and reinstalling the MR816x drivers it works! It works with both the ‘new’ 1394 and legacy OHCI 1394 drivers. These are the ‘same’ drivers the other Siig card doesn’t work with. Totally random.

A few more notes…

1. The MR816x does not work with the firewire 800 drivers that come with the Siig card. This driver is called “Unibrain driver (OHCI Compatible Board)”. It only works with the new/legacy firewire 400 drivers as listed below…
    a) 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
    b) 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (legacy)

maybe this will help someone… it might be worth trying the different firewire card.

In one of my rigs using an mr816csx and n12, I installed a Siig 2 port firewire card to an Asus x99-ii motherboard. OS, Win 10 Pro x64. I’ve had no issues whatsoever. Driver is set to use 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller.

These are good things to hear. I have two MR816 and they were pretty unusable last summer during a tracking session. Randomly, Nuendo would give me an ASIO overload and stop the recording. I tried multiple different cards (I was working on a laptop) and nothing solved the problems. I set the latency super high and still had the same issues. I was using SSD drives as well. I’m still unsure about the MR816. It was a real problem that I don’t want to go through again on a session.

It used to be that Firewire was the preferred connection method, but that hasn’t been the case for me lately. Right now I’m using them connected to a Lynx via ADAT. That’s fairly solid. I never had an issue with Lynx stuff. I’d love to be able to use the MR816x again and trust that it won’t crash a session.