cd text - different formats?

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7
drjazzy

cd text - different formats?

Post by drjazzy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm

The cd-player in my car (no connection to the internet) reads the cd-text of officialy bought cds (some, not all) but not the text of a cd I burned with wavelab 7.2.1.

On the other hand the windows media player cd-text plugin can read the text from the cd I burned with wavelab. (this is for sure, since cd I'm burning wasn't released yet and therefore does not exist in cddb).

Are there different formats of cd-text? Maybe an older one, that my car-cd-player can read, and a newer one, it can't read?
Is it a question of where the cd-text is stored on the cd?
According to Wikipedia it maybe written into the TOC-file or into into the subchannels R to W of the cd.
The latter one is not compatible with the red book standard says Wikipedia.

Where does Wavelab write the cd-text? Into the red-book-compatible TOC-file or into the subchannels? Is that of any importance at all? I'm not an expert in these questions. I'm just trying to figure out, why the cd-text I burn, can't be read by a cd-player that obviously is able to read cd-text.

Thanks
Jürgen

enjneer

Re: cd text - different formats?

Post by enjneer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Have had issues with this too. Eagerly interested.
http://dahlhousestudios.com
Mac Pro 2008 (3.1); 14G RAM; GeForce GT 120 512M
OSX 10.9
FireFace 800
UAD 2 Duo
Bryston 4B
Yamaha NS-10Ms
Presonus Central Station
Cubase 7; 7.5; 8 64-bit
Wavelab 7

stefangs

Post by stefangs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:11 am

Can't really help you, but I want to mention that the whole business of CD Text was an afterthought of the CD spec that came quite a bit later than when the original 'red book' standard was released. CD indexing (which is part of the original spec) isn't recoginzed by many (read: most) players. So my guess is that the CD Text implementation is either not as strictly defined in the red book or not every player supports it in the same way, because it's a grey area.

Stefan
MacPro, Wavelab7, Logic, ProTools, Digital Performer

C.LYDE101

Post by C.LYDE101 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am

Good question though - where does WL write the text?
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

Return to “WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7”