How to make mono sound like stereo

All topics on WaveLab 7 and WaveLab Elements 7
me99

How to make mono sound like stereo

Post by me99 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:32 pm

recording on windows 7 with a shure sm57 and ci1 interface using wavelab. i can only record and hear in the left channel. i realize that it can only be mono with one mic but everyone i see recording for podcasts and youtube is only using 1 mic. how do i make recordings play in both channels so i can use them in windows movie maker or another video editing software?

C.LYDE101

Re: How to make mono sound like stereo

Post by C.LYDE101 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 pm

RTFM?
The objective of good design, whether products or services, is to …satisfy customers by meeting their actual or anticipated needs and expectations.

stefangs

Post by stefangs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Subtle difference: having the sound come out of both speakers isn't stereo, it's still mono, just out of more than one speaker. That said, you might want to record a single channel instead of two. If you already recorded on two channels, look for the panning function.

Stefan
MacPro, Wavelab7, Logic, ProTools, Digital Performer

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:21 pm

If you already recorded on a stereo track, just export this track to a mono file and re-import. Panning is only possible for mono material, but with balance (the term for stereo) you might get the sound more in the middle, but with much less volume.

For future recordings, create a mono track first and select the mic channel for its input. Output will normally be to two channels (which indeed doesn't make it stereo).
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 9.5.50 | Cubase 10.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Return to “WaveLab 7 | WaveLab Elements 7”