Miking the Notorious Acoustic Piano

I am indeed trying to record an upright. This is really all a big compromise, as I am recording in our study (large bedroom size) with a wall mere inches away from the back of the piano. This is one of the many disadvantages of home recording, nobody wants to move the piano because we don’t have the manpower to do it without scratching the hardwood floors. :unamused: Also, if you read the CO1’s reviews, the mic reveals its budget status by having it’s own self-noise, causing me to gate it and EQ a little differently than I might prefer.

I have primarily been recording with the mic over my head, farther from the hammers (mostly cause I’ve been to lazy in the tests to adjust the mic stand that high to get in close over my head). Same results. In my more serious testing sessions I’ve been trying to get as close in as I can to capture more sound.

First, you talked about moving out into the room for ambience purposes. In addition to the complications of the sad room I’m recording in, wouldn’t moving backwards thin out the signal? If I were to adjust my gain knobs, I would get more of that blasted hissing sound too. Any thoughts? Or will the piano pickup alright?

Second, you are saying that pointing the mic across the piano might help. If so, should it point to the bass end or treble end? My guess would be the latter, since I’m definitely going for the brightest sound possible. My main fear is how my mics pickup pattern will cope with this. The hyper cardioid pattern is designed to minimize audio coming from sources off-axis (which is why you’d think you wouldn’t hear these piano operations). Could this in any way be cutting off any of the desirable sound I should be receiving?

Funny how you say it’s not a good idea to mic mono in close, as alot of people online seem to prefer direct signals, unless they’re performing more classical style. Sorry for the rather lengthy and boring post, but I know it will be worth it in the end. Appreciate it!!