score dynamics mapping is it stored ?

Hello,
Dynamics mapping is a good idea of Steinberg. However, I keep loosing the velocity and other settings values for instruments. The values were stored with track preset one or more versions ago. Now I have to insert the whole sequence per instrument all over again every time I insert a midi or instrument track with the instrument (mostly VSL), and saving and loading the preset for the instrument does not bring the values for dynamics back. I hope I am doing something wrong there, is anybody familiar with this ?
Also I cannot find where the values are stored in what file (what format).

regards
Gerard

Hi, I’ve only just noticed that, indeed, the Dynamics Mapping isn’t saved with the Track Preset (and I do agree that, logically, it should be :wink: ).
However, you say it used to be possible? I’ve just tried in Cubase 6.0.1, and it doesn’t work there either (unless I’d have to trash my Cubase Preferences, and, quite frankly, I can’t be *** ed :stuck_out_tongue:)
The only thing I can think of, was back as far as Cubase 4, when we had the old “MIDI Meaning”, which could be saved/recalled as part of the Score Settings.
So, yes, a “+1” from me, to have Dynamic Mapping saved with the Track Preset (or even separately, from directly within the Dynamics Mapping Setup window).

Now the “left field” approach :wink:
You can create a VST Expression Map instead (I’d recommend as Directions rather than Attributes) then you can Load the Expression Map whenever/wherever you wish :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve only just noticed that, indeed, the Dynamics Mapping isn’t saved with the Track Preset (and I do agree that, logically, it should be > :wink: > ).
However, you say it used to be possible? I’ve just tried in Cubase 6.0.1, and it doesn’t work there either (unless I’d have to trash my Cubase Preferences, and, quite frankly, I can’t be *** ed > :stuck_out_tongue:> )

I am not alone; good to hear that. It used to work with track presets (I am quite sure it worked in 6.0.1 as I used in my (lazy) work flow working, but it was “buggy”, that is, try and retry untill it sticks), but it is gone now. I cannot imaging that it is the builders intention that a user would have to type in the dynamics mapping everytime he wants to use an instrument in a score (for me retyping the double list for say 10 instruments for each new project, using mainly VSL). It would help if I knew where the damn settings are stored.

regards,
Gerard

(I am quite sure it worked in 6.0.1 as I used in my (lazy) work flow working, but it was “buggy”, that is, try and retry untill it sticks)

Indeed, I found a track preset (for flute 1) which still works; it remembers its velocity and volume settings in dynamics mapping. None of the many others I tried does.

Gerard

In order to recreate the loss of dynamics mapping with Cubase 6.5.1 build 117, 64 bit W7, using VSL VE Pro 5.0.1073:
Create a C6.5 project add a VSL instance loaded with a VI Pro instrument
Add a midi track referring to the instance. Create some bars in the track. Open score editor for the track.
Open dynamics mapping and edit the table for velocity values (% of maximum values).
Save the trackpreset. Quit C6.5.

Do the above again, up to open dynamics mapping.
Load the trackpreset, and the original velicity value table is in the dynamics mapping, all editting is lost.

Note 1: manual editting with a text editor of the trackpreset file in the steinberg directory of the user/USER/roaming directory results in the same, i.e. the edited values do not appear in the dynamics mapping, although they are still in the trackpreset file.
Note 2: I have several older trackpreset files created with earlier versions of Cubase (file date 4-4-2011) for which the edited values do appear upon loading the trackpreset. I do not see a difference in the files.

Hi,
I don’t actually have VSL VE Pro, but could you upload two Track Presets (one that works, and one that doesn’t), and I’ll see if I can make any sense out of them (I’m afraid I won’t be able to do that immediately… mad busy at the moment :wink: )

Thanks for the support.
In the attached zip are a violin 1 which I cannot get to save the dynamics mapping, and a flute 1 which was created over a year ago and which has its mapping settings imported in Cubase 6.5. Also included a violin 1 track preset with mapping values saverd, but which Cubase 6.5 does not use, it just uses the default table.
(Storing the trackpresets puts 'm in the user roaming steinberg trackpresets folder. Editting that file does not do anything.)

Hope you find some time to look at it.

regards,
Gerard
trackpresets.zip (123 KB)

O.K., a bit of progress here :slight_smile:
If I try to add any of those track presets to an existing MIDI track, it doesn’t import the Dynamics Map (none of them work here).
But…
If I create a new track, from the Project menu>Add Track>“Using Track Preset”, then they all work :slight_smile:.

So, yes, that does seem like a bug to me, although the above workaround is probably quicker than what you were previously doing (… create a new track as described above, then, if necessary, drag existing Parts to it).

Yes, OK, thanks very much for helping out.
Didn’t notice that option, but that will be in my setting up from now on.

By the way: The values in the track presets I sent are after the velocity values mentioned in the VSL manuals for the instruments, with some interpolation where there were extra slots (ffff fff ff f etc). I use them with the volume modulator in 10 % steps. Sounds good enough for me except for the louder part (too little differentiation).

Still working on completion of articulation, expression, maps which takes much time in finding “optima” between map size and articulations wanted in the list.

regards,
Gerard