Guitar fingering vanished

I’ve noticed that, on updating to 2.2, all my guitar fingering has vanished. The popover remembers what I put there but nothing shows.
I attach a guitar and violin example where I did the same for both instruments but only the violin numbers show up.

Is this a new problem or is it just me?!
Vanishing fingering.png

It’s not you. We’ve already started work on expanding the fingering features for guitar in advance of the next major update, and although all of that is disabled in Dorico 2.2, clearly some part of it is still enabled, and I think it’s ending up converting the fingerings when you load the project. Michael, who’s working on this, is away at the moment, but when he’s back at the end of the week I’ll discuss this with him. Sorry for the inconvenience!

A thought: you could probably use Change Instrument in Setup mode to change your guitar to something else temporarily. That should bring the fingerings back. You can always override the playback sound and the staff label to make it appear you’re still using a guitar. This is just a sticking plaster, of course: we will get to the bottom of the problem.

Thanks so much for the very speedy response - and I greatly look forward to your efforts re guitar fingering too.
I’ll give the ‘change instrument’ a go.

I had an perhaps similar problem and then realized/discovered that I’d been putting some fingering and other adjustments in the “full score” and others in the “guitar part”. You may not be as goofy as me, but it’s worth checking :slight_smile: j

I had put them all in the part and then hidden them in the full score and they seemed fine.
Also, some were just solo guitar so there was no option and the fingering vanished there too.
I’m fine waiting for an update or following Daniel’s advice since I’m still having fun with layouts!.a

I have the same problem, thanks for a solution Daniel. But also my engrave mode looks so strange. Just huge numbers instead of icons on left propertie panel.

That really does still sound like a font problem. Can you please try restarting your computer once more? If that doesn’t help, let us know.

[IT WORKED!] Now I couldn’t add fingerings in guitar, and indeed, like the OP, a lot of old fingerings have vanished, so I tried to find a reasonable fake substitute instrument, first lighting on a tenor viola da gamba, and then changing the clef, only to reveal that the treble-8ve clef still acts like an ordinary treble clef, and of course the lower viols are all fretted instruments too. However!–changing in tenor (human voice) gave me back what I needed, with a properly operational treble-8ve clef ! So thanks for that!j

Snimka zaslona (19).png
I changed guitar to tenor and everything works. But strange looking Engrave mode still remains. I restarted computer a few times.

For whatever reason, the version of the Dorico Icons font from which all of the user interface elements in Dorico are drawn hasn’t been correctly updated on your computer. I’m not sure why that would be. Can you double-click it in the Windows Fonts applet in Control Panel and see what version number you have?

Thanks for help Daniel, I couldn’t find version number, but I think it doesn’t matter. I’ll fix it somehow if that’s it the case. most important is that everything works in Dorico and I can continue my work.

Hi Daniel
I imported a MUSIC XML file, worked just fine.
But fingering won´t show on the score, only on the popover below. I tried changing instruments, no luck. Also, there´s some text that was imported that I would like to delete, but it seems to be deeply embedded, it wo n´t allow any changes.

Check that Fingering is set to show in Layout Options.
As for the text, that’s a flow header. Turn it off in the right panel in Engrave mode.

Concha, can you zip up and attach the MusicXML file here so I can take a look and see what form the fingerings in the file take?

Thanks, Daniel
the original Music XML has no fingering, the fingering (just on a couple of notes) was added by me through Dorico in write mode.
I have only elements, no engraving mode.

Then in that case you should find that provided you change the instrument in Setup mode from a guitar to something else, e.g. any single-staff instrument that isn’t fretted, the fingerings should appear correctly.

Great, that did it thanks a million Daniel! :slight_smile:

That sounds great - but in this project, I’m working on, Dorico sadly enough won’t let me change the instrument. Maybe because there are 10 flows (and a lot of fingerings)? In other projects it lets med change instruments as it should.
Is there any other workaround - to show the fingerings or to change the instrument?

Best greetings
Per Dybro

Per, there’s no reason why Dorico should prevent you from changing the instrument. You should be able to click on it in Setup mode and select “Change Instrument.” The number of flows or the amount of fingering should have no effect on this functionality.