wavelab8 request(s)

Hi, Folks!

Whilst on the subject of WL8 requests: I was heartened to see the Expander plug-in in WL7, and as I spend some time restoring older compressed recordings, it would also be nice to add a “Peak-Unlimiter” which could be used to help restore dynamics to heavily compressed or “air check” recordings.

What would also be “cool” would be to incorporate presets which emulate both creating and undoing such “old warriors” as Volumax and Levelmax compressors, and other such “relics” of analog broadcasting and recording, like Pultec’s, dBx, Dolby A & B, etc. The only “rub” is that there might well still be legal restrictions or proprietary protections on these hardware items “functionalities” that would restrict implementations into the software plug-in realm without expensive royalties. [Akin to the recent release of Lexicon’s Native Reverb plug-in algorithm bundles!]

As I’m “blue-sky” thinking, including some of the older pre-RIAA or RIAA “modifiable” EQ’s might be helpful for those ancient 78 rpm, Columbia LP’s, and EU HMV recordings that used their own disc equalizations prior to the standardizations applied for black disks and tapes (e.g., AME, CCIR, etc., pre-NAB standards). Allthough admitedly, this is a pretty tall order to ask, and would require some research into exactly how some of these very old record-playback EQ’s were implemented.

Just thinking out loud here! :bulb: