NEK is still there?

Yep! It’s funny looking at the differences between the two introductory videos. The emotional (no jacket) content of the Cubase 7 presentation vs the serious (with jacket) presentation of Nuendo 7 clearly demonstrates the business post-production drums that Yamaha/Steinberg are still beating for Nuendo. The hardware integration is going to help all markets, not just the post-production market, although the post-prod sector typically has more money to invest in these luxuries and is a more lucrative sector to break into and maintain.

Apart from the ADR specific addons, everything else I’m seeing is still valuable to both production sectors and the fact that NEK only requires an unlock is a major step forward. At least that way it’s already integrated into the code and updates will have to follow in parallel. I think that’s a smart move.

I personally still disagree with the division between post and music that Y/S is so desperate to have these industries adopt with respect to Cubase and Nuendo as many of us obviously dip into both waters on a regular basis. IMO, today’s sound landscape is a lot more varied than it used to be: it’s more about “audio media” production than “music” or “post”. So for us “audio chameleons” with all the varied jobs we get, only the most complete and flexible work environment will do.