UR 22 Phantom Power Noise

Thanks, I will try the grounding.

I actually packed up my UR22, mic, cable and laptop and went back to the store and there was no issue. When I got back home the problem was right back again. Grrr. I was even getting it when running in battery power only from the laptop. Do you suppose grounding will make any difference?

I think it would be a great idea to try and let every know in the forum.

Hi everyone!

Did you ever solve the hum-problem by grounding the ur22 @paulskiogorki?

I seem to be having the same issue here… Just got my ur22 out of the box a couple of hours ago. Everything works fine except that when I turn on 48v phantom power to juice up my Studio Projects B3 condenser mike that low hum appears.

I haven’t had the time to try different cables, microphones or anything yet but I did try to ground my ur22 the way that is described earlier in this thread, but it did not work for me…

My Specs: iMac 27" i5 mid 2010, the rest is mentioned in the text above.

I’m afraid the grounding didn’t work for me either.

As much as I liked the unit, and especially the pre-amps, I ended up exchanging it for something else because my retailer is out of stock and back ordered on UR22’s.

The Akai EIE Pro I got has no buzzing whatsoever. The pre’s are not as sweet sounding but they are still good, and for the extra $100 I got a USB hub and more inputs.

Same thing here, I can’t help but think it’s just a poor product I’m afraid. The amount of noise is awful.

Sometimes it’s not so much a matter of grounding but rather of potential equalization - i.e. elimination of potential differences between devices. So rather than, or perhaps in addition to grounding the unit, make a connection between the device and the chassis of the PC or Laptop.

I have an very inexpensive ART pre amp and I plugged the mic into that, then went into the line in and no hum at all.
Just annoys me that several people have this problem, it should never arise in the first place, other modules don’t do it.

They really bigged up the pre amps on this unit but what’s the point if you can’t apply a decent amount of gain? I tried recording a finger picked guitar part and it was unusable.

I think I will try to make a connection between my iMacs chassi and the ur22 before I send it back to the retailer… I really like the little box otherwise… :unamused:

Nope… didn’t do any good at all…

I will borrow another microphone and cable from a friend after the weekend and try those out to see if it’s my SPB3 thats faulty…

I attached a 5 sec clip of my humming sound if anyone wants to compare with theirs or something. :wink:
UR22_HUM_PHANTOMPOWER_ANIKEE.mp3 (119 KB)

I recently purchased an UR 22 and I am experiencing a continuous and pulsating low hum when the onboard 48v phantom switch is engaged. The hum is very low and sounds like a test tone at about 30-50 hertz. The XLR cord and mic has been tested on an analog mixer with no problems. Is there perhaps a setting that I’m missing?

Thanks

When plugging the mic in directly do you still have the mixer connected or anything else?
Try reversing the power adapter in the AC socket and let us know if it helps. What happens if you plug it into other sockets (in different rooms (hopefully on different electrical circuits)) - just to try.

We’er having the same problem with our UR 22. The UR 22 plugs directly into computer through usb.

Exactly the same problem here. I have tried everything and it still won’t go away when phantom power is engaged.

I’ve tested all of my leads with a cable tester, they are all fine. I’ve tested all of my condenser mics too. The mics are all fine. It isn’t there with dynamic mics, only with condensers and when phantom power is enabled.

I have also tried putting a ferrite core on the provided USB lead to shield any unwanted EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the laptop. Didn’t help.

The only thing that I haven’t tried is a different USB lead, which I will try now, and report back.

It sounds like a ground loop hum, but it can’t be, as it happens regardless of whether the laptop is plugged into the mains or not, and all of my monitoring is being done through headphones on the unit. There is no external speaker system connected. Just the UR22 and the laptop.

I am left wondering if either the unit itself is faulty, or it is very susceptible to EMI from laptops, which kind of renders the unit pointless.

It’s been a very frustrating couple of days for me testing all of my other connected hardware.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Exactly the same problem here. I have tried everything and it still won’t go away when phantom power is engaged.

I’ve tested all of my leads with a cable tester, they are all fine. I’ve tested all of my condenser mics too. The mics are all fine. It isn’t there with dynamic mics, only with condensers and when phantom power is enabled.

I have also tried putting a ferrite core on the provided USB lead to shield any unwanted EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the laptop. Didn’t help.

The only thing that I haven’t tried is a different USB lead, which I will try now, and report back.

It sounds like a ground loop hum, but it can’t be, as it happens regardless of whether the laptop is plugged into the mains or not, and all of my monitoring is being done through headphones on the unit. There is no external speaker system connected. Just the UR22 and the laptop.

I am left wondering if either the unit itself is faulty, or it is very susceptible to EMI from laptops, which kind of renders the unit pointless.

It’s been a very frustrating couple of days for me testing all of my other connected hardware.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

All the help I can offer is that I also tried several USB cables to no avail…

I have now also tried another USB cable, and also tried grounding the device using the screw at the back. It made absolutely no difference.

Is it safe to assume that the unit is faulty and I should get an RMA for it? It’s basically useless to me as it is.

I have now also tried another USB cable, and also tried grounding the device using the screw at the back. It made absolutely no difference.

Is it safe to assume that the unit is faulty and I should get an RMA for it? It’s basically useless to me as it is.

If your UR 22 is within the retailer’s return period, then send it back to them for an exchange or refund. If you bought it from a retail store that you could visit, then take it back to the Pro Audio department and see if you can replicate the problem for them there. If it is not within the retailer’s return period, then contact Steinberg customer service and see i f they can trouble shoot the device—from there they’ll be able to issue a RMA number if found faulty.

Just out of interest, are there UR22 users here that aren’t having this hum problem?

Just out of interest, are there UR22 users here that aren’t having this hum problem?