Score Editor Problem/Question

hi, when i edit notes on the Score Editor, i have a problem where once i select a note value and move the cursor on the staff i want to input notes in, even if i don’t click anywhere, nuendo lets me listen to every note i’m in on the mouse cursor…it’s weird and it never happened on version 5

basically i get to hear every semitone on the staff until i reach the note i want and the press to input it…but when i move again it starts all over.

any suggestion?

i’m on osx 10.7.5 Nuendo 6.0.3

and i have another 2 things that really slows down my workflow and would like to ask you…maybe it’s something i could solve changing some preference or we could make a “feature request” for these, i hope you can help me

first thing:
let’s say i’m working in the score editor…i select a note to listen to it, then i want to listen to the following notes on the same region so i hit the “right arrow” button on my keyboard and go on note after note, everything’s ok.
BUT!
when i get to the end of the line (or at the end of the last staff displayed on my score window) if i press “right arrow” it loops back to the beginning of this last line! instead of going on with the next notes (like it would do on the key editor) it goes back!

second thing:
could it be possible to have the score editor LINKED to the selection i make in the project window…
what i want is the ability to make the score editor work EXACTLY like the Key Editor…i open a key editor window an leave it open, then i can click on different regions of different tracks and the editor automatically shows me the event i selected.
the ability to do this would be AWSOME
Logic has is, it let’s you “link” or “unlink” different windows and different editors with a simple click on a icon

can anyone help me?
i hope so

all the best and thanks in advance
-mike

i just discovered the “link editors” preference, which indeed doesn’t work for the score editor, so maybe this whole features i’m talking about could be fixed/implemented.

anyone from steinberg could at least let me know they read my posts and tell me if these are bugs or features/choices that belong to the program?

please i spent a lot of money and a lot of time describing possible problems or suggestions that may benefit other customers as well, so at least hearing a little bit of feedback from you would be much appreciated

thanks
all the best
-mike

Oh, you are right! I’m using this quite often for the Key Editor. I supposed, it works for all editors the same way. :-/

bump…for at least a word from Steinberg moderators…i want to know if i’m talking about bugs or it’s just the program that works (oddly) like these.
please
all the best
-mike

it’s very frustrating to keep a thread alive all by myself, but i’ll keep posting until i get an answer from someone from Steinberg.
i mean, Nuendo costs a fortune, i love the program but i pretend to get some kind of support for it.
i hope you take me seriously and help me…i’m using my time to ask questions and come up with possible feature requests that actually could make the program better for EVERYBODY…

anyway…back on topic…
i think i managed to solve my first problem, by deactivating “animate note” in the Preferences-Score-Editor…

what i want to know is about my other questions i mentioned that i’ll paste again here…
"first thing:
let’s say i’m working in the score editor…i select a note to listen to it, then i want to listen to the following notes on the same region so i hit the “right arrow” button on my keyboard and go on note after note, everything’s ok.
BUT!
when i get to the end of the line (or at the end of the last staff displayed on my score window) if i press “right arrow” it loops back to the beginning of this last line! instead of going on with the next notes (like it would do on the key editor) it goes back!

second thing:
could it be possible to have the score editor LINKED to the selection i make in the project window…
what i want is the ability to make the score editor work EXACTLY like the Key Editor…i open a key editor window an leave it open, then i can click on different regions of different tracks and the editor automatically shows me the event i selected.
the ability to do this would be AWSOME
Logic has is, it let’s you “link” or “unlink” different windows and different editors with a simple click on a icon"

PLEASE give us the ability to link editors! the ability to have score, key, list editors open at the same time, click on a note and see all 3 editors show that note highlighted at the same time…logic does that and it’s incredibly handy!

i will post a feature request if it’s necessary, but please answer me first.

all the best
-mike

…also…
why doesn’t the command “duplicate” work in the score editor???
it works everywhere else…

please answer me!

…also…

why can’t we SCROLL left and right with our mouses on the score editor???

Hello Mike,

thanks for all the detailled description. We need some time for looking into these issues.

Thanks for your engagement,
Timo

bump on this thread that i find really important…

hoping that this could make its way into Nuendo 7

all the best and thanks

Hello everyone, i wrote about these issues that bothered my workflow when i was using Nuendo…i since switched to Logic but always kept my eye on Steinberg’s development of their softwares.
Can anyone be kind enough to tell me if these issues i mentioned here and in this thread have been adressed or changed in the latest Cubase 8 Pro ?

thanks a lot in advance, hope you can help me.
all the best

All the same, none are bugs. The Score editor works differently than the other MIDI editors. All the stuff you’re asking about would be great options to have though.

Horizontal scrolling with the mouse wheel in Score Edit View requires hovering over the horizontal scrollbar.

What has changed is that the Key Editor inspector is now in a tab in the Score Editor.

thank you very much Steve!

I’m having a really hard time considering these things “features” and not bugs…i mean, seriously, how can you not scroll vertically a score during playback? how are you supposed to check the parts that you recorded or wrote if your score window is stuck in just one small portion of the score and the only way to scroll is to disable “auto-scroll”, which of course means you won’t be able to follow the music during playback…?
And how can you not browse left and right your notes if after like four measures the cursor comes back to the beginning of this “loop” instead of going on? it works perfectly on the key editor, why not here in the score???
You can’t call this a feature, It makes NO sense at all.

Anyway thanks for your help
All the best
-Mike

All i can tell you is what I do when i use the Score Editor. I arrow down to get to the next line, or use the transport commands (like Step Bar and Step Back Bar) commands to navigate. Vertical scrolling works in Page view, not Edit view.

You’re not going to get much response regarding Score questions in the Nuendo forum, why not post the feature request you mentioned or post in the the Cubase forum?

I did that, many times, and wrote pm to some Steinberg employees, maybe I’ll do it again.
Thanks a lot
kind regards
-mike

Mike, I feel your pain.

TBH the whole music literacy angle of the Steinberg development team needs looking at. There have been basic faults with Cubendo for as long as I’ve been using it (17 years) and I see very little improvement. However, I’m hopeful that when the new notation app is released we’ll see a number of improvements in Cubase as well, not least to cover the embarrassments of the Cubase development team seemly not knowing the difference between simple and compound time sigs. :wink:

DG