Is there a way to make foot pedal to produce a midi note

What does the manual of your specific not mentioned manual say…?

I have obviously looked at the manual and the Cubase 7 manual does not seem to say that there is or isn’t a way. Hence this question. I’m hoping somebody might know a work around that is not obvious,well obvious to me at least…

Now since you say it´s a MIDI pedal and the question is, if the pedal can produce a MIDI note, you will surely not find the answer in the Cubase manual. It depends which kind of MIDI Message it transmits, or maybe it can even be programmed to transmit a certain MIDI message. Since it seems to be a big problem for some people to post useful gear info, you should look that up first. Apart from that, MIDI Messages still can be transformed for example with the input transformer inside Cubase…

I take your point that I have not provided gear info but this isn’t an elaborate question regarding ram, cpu, or OS platform. It’s just about a basic midi pedal like any other midi pedal that produces midi controller data (I have never heard of a midi pedal that was designed not to send midi controller data…)
And yes Cubase 7 does not have a dedicated function for this but that does not mean that this isn’t a valid question. Cubase doesn’t not have a simple bounce in place function but this can be achieved in a round about way and hence I wondering if there is a round about way for me the achieve this. I have look into the midi Transformer options and I have used these functions before (I am not a novice) but I haven’t been able work this out for this request.

I hoping someone less pendantic and more knowledgeable than me regarding transformer midi functions might come across this question…

Well, I might not be less pedantic, but he did give you the answer in his second post, to use the input transformer. You can also use the midi monitor to see what your pedal is sending. I’ll get out out of the way now.

The gear question was towards the type of pedal (I see, I have a typo in my first post…)

Programmable MIDI foot pedal
“freely assignable MIDI channel-…-MIDI note-on commands for trigger and tap tempo applications”

But I do understand it’ s not really appropriate to ask someone for a bit of useful info, those who try to help should have to ask repeatedly to get info, or just write anything that might be in relation to the question… :unamused:

For what I’m guessing you’d like to do, the Input Transformer should do the trick. In this example, I’ve set it up so a footpedal, plugged into my keyboard’s Sustain jack will play the kick drum on GrooveAgentOne.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will give this a try. The transformer can be confusing and I was sure that someone here would more know more than me about this.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to this question… :smiley:

It worked, thanks again!

+1

page 595 in the manual.
{‘-’}

I find it ridiculous that you think he has answered the question by telling me to look up the manual regarding input transformer. How can that be the complete answer when I have stated in my original post that I have already looked up input transformer but the manual has limited information regrading this…

Thankfully Weasel was able to answer my question and point out to me an obscure logical command (cc36 Foot LSB) THAT IS NOT IN THE MANUAL. Therefore it was reasonable for me the approach the forum and ask rather than run out and buy another piece of gear. I keep telling people I’ve looked in the manual for the answer and people keep telling to look in the manual for a detail (cc36 FOOT LSB) that isn’t in there…?

Well, first of all, MIDI transformer / inserts and input transformer are two different things. If you had read the manual thoroughly, you would know that. and 2nd,

As I said before this was pointed at the pedal´s manual, to know which kind of message is output by the pedal. Not every pedal ouputs the same MIDI message. And of course this kind of info can not be found in the Cubase mnanual.

There you go being pendantic again… I said “I’ve look at the midi transformer as well as the other midi inserts” that statement does include the input transformer a midi insert…

The bottom line here is that the manual although very comprehensive cannot supply every single obscure detail, hence the forum. You can keep telling me all you want that the manual would explain that (cc36 FOOT LSB) actually triggers the 36 note but it’s clear it doesn’t explain this…

I don’t want to waste your time arguing but I don’t why people who clearly don’t know the answer to questions keep replying . If I don’t know an answer I just stay out of it, I know I do… Why clog the forum…?

That´s the point - the input transformer is not a MIDI insert, therefore it works different as a MIDI insert.

If I don’t know an answer I just stay out of it, I know I do… Why clog the forum…?

But obviously you´re still trying to tell me, the input transformer is a MIDI insert…

(not wishing to confuse the issue any further… yes, the Input Transformer is the answer :wink:, but I do have a slight query to ask of Weasel, and his screenshot)…

Seeing as how the “pedal up” should produce, natively, a CC#64=0 anyways, that “Value 2 line” shouldn’t even be necessary at all :wink:… value 2 (which becomes “velocity” after conversion to note), would remain unchanged… hence note velocity = 127 on pedal down, and velocity = 0 (which also means "note=off) on pedal up.

On the other hand, that “multiply” line could be used to scale the velocity of the desired note (e.g. x0.500 for a note-on with velocity = 64… the zero, on pedal up, would still be zero after multiplying :slight_smile: )

I said “I’ve look at the midi transformer (input transformer) as well as the other midi inserts” …Pedantic?

No, you obviously did not “say” it that way - see your first post - No mention of input transformer.
There is a MIDI transformer insert and there is the input transformer. And although they look similar, they are two different things.
And obviously I´m not the only one in this thread seeing it that way. Only you still keep telling me, the MIDI transformer is the same as the input transformer. And call me pedantic for distingushing between the two…

(not wishing to confuse the issue any further… yes, the Input Transformer is the answer > :wink:> , but I do have a slight query to ask of Weasel, and his screenshot)…

When it comes to all things Transformer… Vic France is, without a doubt, our forum’s resident expert on the matter (not to mention being our resident Score guru and all-around good guy). He raises a few questions that deserve a reasonable response.

I found that using “Set to fixed value” with a value of 127 for the Action Target’s Value 2 (which I felt was necessary to set a specific recordable Note velocity value) created a “double hit” or “bounce” situation with the pedal I used for this test (an old KORG sustain pedal).

Using “Multiply by” solved the “bounce” problem. Why? I have no idea. It just works. Since I had no idea what kind of gear bakiki might be using, I felt that including the “Multiply by” step would just work no matter what keyboard controller/pedal combo was being used. Of note: I had the same results in both C7 and C6.5.

I guess this is a good point to add that this Input Transformer design could have been set up in “Local” mode. I just went with the first choice: “Global”.

If anyone is interested in the results I was getting between using “Set to fixed value” and “Multiply by” as the Action Target’s Value 2 to solve my “bouncing” issue, take a look here:
http://78cf01617e3950417f0c-edf74d1b5a4206a253d3389ccc6c1dae.r38.cf1.rackcdn.com/PedalingInCubase-HD%20720p.m4v

I rest my case…I’ll wait and see if Vic files a motion

That is completely “Logical” (sorry for the pun :wink: )… using “Value 2___Set to fixed Value___127”, that is converting also the desired CC#64=0, on pedal up (for “note-off”) into a(nother) CC#64=127. If you are certain that pedal down is transmitting CC#64=127 anyways, you don’t need that 2nd line at all.
Whereas using “Multiply” x1.0000 leaves both 127 and 0 intact (and, like I said earlier, as an added bonus, can also be used to scale the velocity (127 x0.5000=64, and 0 x0.5000 still =0 :wink: ).

Math! (uttered in the style of Seinfeld’s “Newman”)

Thank you, Vic. I don’t call you Transformer Guru for nothing.

Well…at least my little video can show you the results.