Just noticed this feature and I LOVE it!!

Funny how some people prefer having all their automation in one lane. Coming from Sonar, which has All automation on the same lane, I personally find the way Cubase does it MUCH better and intuitive.

Well I never wanted all the automation on one lane, I just wanted it overlayed on top of the clip so I can easily match my automation curve to the audio/MIDI.

I know. I wasn’t referring to you Arc.

My comment was more of a response to what Steve said earlier about Digital Performer. It wasn’t addressed to anyone really :wink:

OH MY GOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH.

:smiley:

Why is this turned off by default anyway? Who the hell does not want this feature? Maybe for performance reasons?

I agree this should be ‘on’ by default.

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out, I never knew either.

Then again I’ve only been using Cubase/Nuendo for 25 years!

MC

I believe this is because it used to be far less ‘mature’. I seem to recall trying to work with this in Cubase 4 (the lines weres blue?) and it was maddening… sometimes you couldn’t even delete a curve if you changed yer mind.

Thanks. I’ll have to give it a fresh look. Appears MUCH nicer.

—JC

I’ve missed this feature since I moved to Cubase from Pro Tools…glad to finally find it here, thanks!

P.S.
Has anyone noticed the new handles that appear when you mouseover the plugins (Insert, select & preset) and sends? Or am I late to the game? I don’t remember seeing this in 7.0.4?!

Nice feature. Seems weird that is “off” by default.

P.S.
Has anyone noticed the new handles that appear when you mouseover the plugins (Insert, select & preset) and sends? Or am I late to the game? I don’t remember seeing this in 7.0.4?!

its from 7.05 update

Kool…I remember that I kept feeling that something’s were missing each time I went to charge a plugin.

Actually, I’m finding more itsy-bitsy improvements in 0.5 that were never listed… Glad to see them, thanks Steinberg! :smiley:

Yeah, I never knew about this either. Thanks to OP for pointing it out. :smiley:

It should be mentioned, that Cubase automation is not sample accurate !
Depending on the project/system latency, it can be off, noticeably.
So the wave/midi visualization can only be seen as a coarse ‘aiming aid’ …

Jan

Cool!

But (unless I’m missing something)

It drops another track into view and shows the data over this, which defeats the screen space saving that could have been achieved by showing the data over the source track? If that’s what the user wants by ticking that box?

well, also

EDIT: disregard, I just figured it out and remember why it is useless.

Yeah I also thought that this allowed me to view automation envelopes on the same track, not in a dropdown track. Oh well.

I hate having to loose all that screen real estate to see volume automation when it could simply overlay on the the clip Pro Tools style. But what can you do…

I can understand why you would want it on top of the track to save screen real estate, but then working with clips would be tricky because you’d have to make sure you were grabbing the clip and not the automation points or vice versa.

But hey, you can’t please everyone…

Having used it in this mode I would say its ok, not sure it helps or hinders workflow

If you’re trying to automate volume on audio its probably most use. perhaps a vocal - but extra space is used on screen

Would be cool if the automation overlaid, with no additional tracks, perhaps with the automation lines having a certain ‘luminance’ i.e the colours where extra bright so the user could visually focus on automation, perhaps selecting one parameter as the preference eg volume by default in preferences

then

if user zooms in, say to see one track only on screen, then all automation shows, still overlaid, in different colours, but each parameter could occupy a ‘lane’ overlaid - users would have to read the manual but I think this behaviour is ‘intuitive’ enough , i.e zooming in = more detail

If you think about it, it makes sense, to me at least :smiley: