Separate Key Commands for mixer zoom now exist

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
-steve-
External Moderator

Separate Key Commands for mixer zoom now exist

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:21 am

Mixer zoom issue has been fixed. See below if you didn't already figure it out.

As of 7.0.6 you can set KCs for mixer zoom and they zoom only the mixer.

The problem is, the zoom commands for the project window also still zoom the mixer.

What is it, some kind of incremental building to a point in the distant future where it might work properly?

How discouraging.
Last edited by -steve- on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
independent manufacturer rep
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

J-S-Q

Re: Key Commands for mixer zoom now exist, but.

Post by J-S-Q » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:As of 7.0.6 you can set KCs for mixer zoom and they zoom only the mixer.

The problem is, the zoom commands for the project window also still zoom the mixer.

What is it, some kind of incremental building to a point in the distant future where it might work properly?

How discouraging.
This is a classic case of someone being quick to criticise when in fact they should learn how to use the software properly. :)

There is a drop down menu at the top right of the mixer page... choose the 'Zoom' submenu and uncheck 'Use Standard Zoom Commands'. You can then have completely independent zoom key commands for the mixer and the arrange page.
Cubase Pro 9, Win10
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920X. MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X399. RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte GV-N96TSL GeForce 9600GT. SYSTEM DRIVE: Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD. AUDIO INTERFACE: Steinberg MR816-CSX CONTROLLER: Avid S3, Avid Artist Transport

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 pm

hmmm, I wonder if this was what is causing my zoom recall issues with workspaces ... I'll have to give that a go tonight. I totally missed that option too, was it in the release notes and I just can't read?
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 pm

JMCecil wrote:hmmm, I wonder if this was what is causing my zoom recall issues with workspaces ... I'll have to give that a go tonight. I totally missed that option too, was it in the release notes and I just can't read?
I read everything. Even the fineprint legal stuff and I too missed that one.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm

J-S-Q wrote:This is a classic case of someone being quick to criticise when in fact they should learn how to use the software properly. :)
You're right. I totally missed it- I didn't even think of looking in the drop down menu, then I was snide about it to boot. Classic. Lucky you called me out on it.

Anyway, sarcasm aside, that's great news.
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

Rhino

Re: Separate Key Commands for mixer zoom now exist

Post by Rhino » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Each and every new KC is more than welcome, good news !
A few more of these, a simple option "KCs have universal focus", and we're talkin'.
That, and massive fixing of the mixer zoom bugs. Do we really need seamless, would not a handful of perfectly working fixed zoom levels be more than enough ?
ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I have to make comment on this Zoom issue..

Being as myself and others have been complaining since 7.0, this is a pretty lame fix.

Is it really that hard to make this issue functional so we can get on with our work?

When someone hits the spacebar or the number pad, the G & H zoom should be active on the main track window.

If the Setting for the MIxers is off 'Normal', then the G & H zoom should control the main track window.

Is this really so damn hard to figure out?!!

Is this not obvious to you people how important this is to workflow?

Is workflow not a critically important aspect of a DAW?

Come on !!!! fix this !! I am so frustrated waiting for you people to get your act together!
Cubase 9.5.30 & 10.0.5, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Intel i5, 16gb ram, Tri-Monitors, Presonus SL III with USB Interface

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 am

Well, if they ever fix the focus issue the independant zoom will be nice.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 am

Here's another simple solution..

The G & H Zoom ALWAYS affects the Track Window.. No Matter what.

An ALT-G & Alt-H could control the Mixer window.. no matter what.
Cubase 9.5.30 & 10.0.5, Win7 Pro 64-bit, Intel i5, 16gb ram, Tri-Monitors, Presonus SL III with USB Interface

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:57 am

rchaisse wrote: An ALT-G & Alt-H could control the Mixer window.. no matter what.
not really, you have to have the mixer in focus to use its hotkeys. And the point is not to jack up your mixer zoom when zooming around in the project window.

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:39 am

It would ONLY jack up your Mixer window IF you hit Alt-G or Alt-H.

I would be happy to take that chance and would rather take the chance as oppose to what I'm dealing with now.

This issue is not minor. When I'm mixing, it comes up every few minutes. EVERY FEW MINUTES! It is a major pain in the A__. This problem did not exist until 7.0. and it's still not fixed.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:00 am

rchaisse wrote:It would ONLY jack up your Mixer window IF you hit Alt-G or Alt-H.
You can hit ALT-G all day long if the mixer is not in focus, it won't affect the mixer zoom.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:07 am

rchaisse wrote:The G & H Zoom ALWAYS affects the Track Window.. No Matter what.
How about if you had KCs that always zoom the project window, and nothing else, no matter where you were in the program? Would that not solve the above?

Create two macros:

Project - Bring to Front
Zoom in

and

Project - Bring to Front
Zoom out

But the FR here should be "Make Key Commands contextual to the window being worked in"
Last edited by -steve- on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

artguy

Post by artguy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:09 am

rchaisse wrote:When someone hits the spacebar or the number pad, the G & H zoom should be active on the main track window.
Spacebar starts and stops the sequencer, it should not be used an a contextual manner nor for any other function.

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:41 am

I wonder why this problem didn't exist in 6.5?

When I was in the mixer and I hit 1 on the number pad, I was now in the project window and I could hit G or H as I needed. It was a perfect work flow.. very smooth and efficient. no glitch. no cursing.

Can we stop looking at why we can't fix this and start looking at how we can?

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:09 am

Steve in Chicago wrote:
How about if you had KCs that always zoom the project window, and nothing else, no matter where you were in the program? Would that not solve the above?
I like your suggestion, only with having 2 screens, the ''Project to Front' doesn't kick me over to it. I tried 'Track-Next' and even though It highlighted a track in the Project window, it still left my G & H over on the Mixer Window.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:22 am

rchaisse wrote:I wonder why this problem didn't exist in 6.5?
Maybe because the new mixer window is a different class of window, and the old mixer did not have zoom commands.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:26 am

The macros as I posted work with two screens.

Did you deactivate "Use Standard Zoom Commands?"

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:44 am

artguy wrote:
rchaisse wrote:When someone hits the spacebar or the number pad, the G & H zoom should be active on the main track window.
Spacebar starts and stops the sequencer, it should not be used an a contextual manner nor for any other function.
I wasn't saying the Space bar should invoke this operation, I was saying that WHEN someone hits the spacebar or the #pad, the G & H should work. HOW that takes place is up to the engineers or someone out there that has a trick up their sleeve.

btw, thanks to all who are contributing, and my apologies for getting so testy, but my mind is boggled at the fact I'm still having to deal with this.

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 am

SteveInChicago wrote:The macros as I posted work with two screens.

Did you deactivate "Use Standard Zoom Commands?"
Yes, I did..

Also, I went to the 'Bring Project to Front' gave it a KC and was unable to bring it to front. The G & H wouldn't work until I clicked on the Project Window.

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:01 am

JMCecil wrote:
rchaisse wrote:It would ONLY jack up your Mixer window IF you hit Alt-G or Alt-H.
You can hit ALT-G all day long if the mixer is not in focus, it won't affect the mixer zoom.
the Space bar & numberpad work no matter which window is in focus. It IS possible. ;)

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:05 am

SteveInChicago wrote:
rchaisse wrote:The G & H Zoom ALWAYS affects the Track Window.. No Matter what.

Create two macros:

Project - Bring to Front
Zoom in

and

Project - Bring to Front
Zoom out

But the FR here should be "Make Key Commands contextual to the window being worked in"
Hey Steve, I re-read this.. What is 'FR' and where do I "Make Key Commands contextual to the window being worked in"?

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:12 am

FR= Feature Request

I just made one in the Feature Request Forum.

The command is "Bring to Front" in the Project section of the Key Commands dialog. It works here. Are you sure this was not operator error?

rchaisse

Post by rchaisse » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:43 am

SteveInChicago wrote:FR= Feature Request

I just made one in the Feature Request Forum.

The command is "Bring to Front" in the Project section of the Key Commands dialog. It works here. Are you sure this was not operator error?
Didn't even think about using FR.. thanks

I tried several times, and I've had a lot of experience with writing Macros, so I think the Operator tested it well ;)

Since I couldn't get "Bring to Front" to function, I'm at a loss.. at the moment..

btw, I have to commend you for making the effort to resolve this. Of all the posts I've had on the subject, yours is the first to offer a solution. ( not to be confused with suggestions : )

thank you..
sounds like a great fix!

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:03 am

Your welcome.

If you are on Windows there are the weird Windows windows rules regarding Cubase being spread over two screens. Do you have the mixer set to full screen, if so did you try it the other way 'round? (Now would be a good time to go to the User Control Panel and add your system info to your sig. It's brain-numbing to ask the same exact questions over and over.)

Anyway, if people show a consistent interest in the specific FR of having context sensitive key commands It might get some traction. It's here: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 82&t=47739.

It is also possible that the decision has been made already, they are revamping the project window for a future update.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”