Plugin Delay Compensation (See Pic)

Thanks! I completely understand it works for you. That would leave me to discard offending plugins (update/Trash) them. Can’t say I wanna do that or can do that. So I’m leaning on track delay in milliseconds to help aid this issue. Which is a bummer. The more combinations of plugins yield different offset times per track. Not a good look if The groove or feel is what your after. Dealing with all audio tracks is not the problem, works as expected. Combine instruments and audio tracks and then let the games begin.

PDC works fine here with audio and midi/instruments here, as well. I wonder - are you using a mix of time bases in your tracks? Constrain delay compensation is actually something different than PDC…it compensates so that midi isn’t recorded too early - perhaps try either turning it off or on for all tracks.

Thanks for the feedback. I know how it works. If I have a live bass player jam to some drums in the track and its in the pocket. Once recorded, Insert let’s say a A.O.M Invisible_Limiter plugin. That bass track is no longer in sync as it was originally recorded.(CDC OR PDC doesn’t matter) Bypass it or remove it and its back to normal. I’m trying to find solutions to overcome this. I used that plugin as a reference. It could be midi or audio or plugins. It could be that I’m a perfectionist and timing is everything when recreating the 70’s sound. I’m glad it works for some of you, it’s not for me. Next move will be to upload a youtube video demonstrating this issue and show the community what I’m talking about.
So far one person TKW wrote:
Sadly, this is an issue i’ve learned to live with.

It’s driving me up the wall…

Of course timing is crucial, would drive me crazy as well… Try to find the plugins causing the problems (I guess there’s the problem) and replace them by something that works.

No offence, but this information isn’t correct. Constrain delay compensation disables the plug ins which latency exceeds the delay compensation threshold set in the preferences.

To KDEF2004 have you had the opportunity to check the plug ins you suspect causing these timing issues in another DAW?
Like marQs said, it could well be the plugs don’t report the correct latency to the host. Especially because you can correct the introduced delay, which looks like the introduced latency is consistent.
Nice beats by the way :sunglasses:

Sorry - you’re right - I was thinking of the “ASIO latency” switch which is on each midi/instrument track…

Yes, I’ve narrowed it down to a few plugins not playing nice with cubase. Will have to use track delay to compensate. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

I’m pretty much using C7 just for mixing, and I’m experiencing not a correct delay compensation too in projects with great latency.
In those project also the freeze function acts the same way.

I read this thread, would you guys be so kind to tell me where I can find the compensation limit in the preference? I’m not able to find it. :slight_smile:

I’d like to experiment with that and see what happens.

Sure check the pic

Take a look at :

Nice! will check it out. Thanks

Thanks KDEF for the time you took to take the screenshot. :slight_smile:
I saw that window, but I had thought it wasn’t related to the “regular” delay compensation, but to the “force dalay compensation” function while tracking.

the automation in Cubase is not tight.

when you have two inserts which lower the volume and you switch them bypassing you still hear the signal in between the switches.

Yes, Cubase automation timing is not 100% accurate. It actually varies depending on the size of buffer you have. The higher the buffer setting, the earlier your automation will be.

RE: PDC, I have also noticed a few plugins where the delay compensation does not work correctly. Can’t remember which ones just at the moment but I’ve definitely experienced this with a couple of Waves plugins. I think there are certain plugins that create too much latency for the PDC system to cope with. It’s quite rare in my experience though.

Or possibly they are just lying about their latency values, not taking into account samplerate or somesuch? I always wondered about that but have never really looked at the SDK to see how it’s defined.

i dont know if this is the right kind of test but for me automation “tightness” matters. When I automate some cutoff etc every new bar it sounds a little different. in this example you can hear a) theres a noise where it shouldnt and b) it isnt 100% the same error…

Hi, trying to get my UAD plugins working in Cubase 8, I’ve been advised to check the Plugin Delay compensation box, please excuse my ignorance but can someone point me to where that is please? thanks :slight_smile:

No need to check anything but telling Cubase 8 where to look for the plugins. Plugin delays are compensated automatically.

Old thread but I’m suffering from PDC issues, CUBASE 10. I use Volume Shaper on the master buss, it displays the waveform on a grid, an essential secret for revealing timing issues in a project.

1 Like