[Confirmed] Timecode / AAF issues

So, after reading this thread I was wanting to check whether file offset occurred when you are not receiving MTC and timestamping - simply recording to the Nuendo Live timeline. My test was as follows - MADI into RME Madi FX card, recording 56 channels of the same audio - which has a tone blip every second so it’s easy to see alignment. Record for 5 minutes.

First ‘take’ was with pre-record time set to Zero. All 64 BWAV files have the same timestamp when viewed with Audioease Snapper. Import them into ProTools (which is what will always happen with my files), line them up to session start. Look at first and last track, start, finish and Audio Peaks are all aligned.

Second take, with Pre-record time set to 10 seconds. Each BWAF file has a timestamp about 2.9ms earlier than the one before (the last track was the first to be created). There is a 165ms offset between the timestamp of track 1 and track 56. Drop these files at session start in ProTools and of course all the audio is out of alignment by that amount. Spot each file individually to the Original Timestamp position in ProTools, and your audio is nicely back in alignment. Fine if you are doing all the post yourself, but not likely to make you popular with an outside post company…

Also, if that recording was made at the start of the Nuendo timeline, position 00.00.00:00 on the time ruler, the timestamp will be a little less than the pre-roll time before that - in my case track 56 was timestamped at 23.59.50.339. Many post people get very nervous about crossing ‘midnight’ like that. ProTools 10 doesn’t mind, but I understand older versions had problems with it.

It would be good to get this sorted.