[music] Tomorrow Never Knows

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Lenny Lee

[music] Tomorrow Never Knows

Post by Lenny Lee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:05 pm

This is the last song for my upcoming cd release, and I've decided for now to continue
my tradition of having one Beatle song included. On my first cd, 'I Am The Walrus' was chosen
by my songwriting partner, on my first solo cd, Box o' Chocolates, 'Norwegian Wood' was a collab
presented to me by Forum member Kurt Regner. This is the first time -I've- chosen the song,

I heard a connection between this song and their song 'Within You Without You', and so I included a bit
of that on the bridge(and outro). Imagine my surprise when I went to purchase the licensing and there were two listings.
One was 'Tomorrow Never Knows' - and the other was 'Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows' - which
as it turns out was done by George and Giles Martin and the Cirque Du Soleil people for the 'The Beatles Love' show.

George Martin and I made the same connection! - though he beat me to the punch release wise.
In any case, my production bears little resemblance to either of theirs, so it's all good.

My friend Richie Scarlet played guitar, and it was the first time in a while that I've had a player 'in the house'
laying their tracks. Richie was a challenge, because he's amazing, but he likes to come in unprepared
and just have me hit record. No two of his takes are anything alike - he just likes to play from the heart.
I got three complete takes and comped his performance.

Any and all comments welcome.

Tomorrow Never Knows
Lennon/ McCartney

license purchased from Songfile/Harry Fox Agency
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

twilightsong

Re: [music] Tomorrow Never Knows

Post by twilightsong » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Excellent track -- it takes a cue from its psychedelic progenitor and then makes it something completely modern and progressive -- pretty good work given it's such an iconic song.

At first I wasn't digging it, probably BECAUSE it challenges one's familiarity with the original. But slowly you built it into something that is totally your own -- the whole point of doing a cover tune, IMO. I also dug how you didn't rewrite the essential ingredient of the tune -- Ringo's drum pattern, with the double-hit on the snare on the upbeat of 3.
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

JSW

Post by JSW » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Smokin’! I really like your version of this classic, I think the boys would concur. You have maintained the trippy sound they were so into at the time, yet gave it a fresh twist. Well done.

John

Zenda

Post by Zenda » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 am

Hi Lenny

I decided to have a good listen to your song, rather than searching for the Beatle's verson to see what that sounded like.

Very strong, and I think that guitarist got some of your style of energy .... I bet he'd heard you singing before - You were both able to be thin and sharp yet with punch. Also, I loved the way you and he kept a kind of Eastern Romance throughout.

All the best
Glyn
The Gypsy King
Music - out of date
Photos

i7930, OCZ Vertex2, Raptors, RME Multiface 2, 12gigRam, C5, Photoshop CS5, Unreal Tournament.

ferencz

Post by ferencz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 am

nice rendition...well done!
HP I7/3.4g/16g ram/Emu 1212m/Novation Zero SL MKII/Halion 6/Halion/ Sonic/Padshop Pro/Wavelab 4/Cubase9.5

Mauri

Post by Mauri » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:00 am

Hi Lenny,

Very good indeed , 'love the arrangement, is that all/mostly yours? Great guitar playing too!

Cheers mate,

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 9.5 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB silent | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

Sherz

Post by Sherz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:03 am

Nice! I like this fresh new spin on this classic tune... in fact, while I know it's almost sacreligious to suggest a cover could better than a Beatles original... well, I for one certainly think this 21st century version gives the original a run for it's money.

Nice work all round. Smokin' guitar!

8-)

PS: Shouldn't this be in in the "Made With Cubase" forum?? :?:
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

DaveFry

Post by DaveFry » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm

8-)
" Listen to the colour of your dreams ..."
;)
:)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Music is it's own reward .

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:58 pm

Lenny,

Very, very, very cool! Well done!

Best Wishes,
Nick

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:
QUESTION - Can you please explain the licencing thing? How does it all work? Who, what, where, how, when?
I've had in mind doing some covers, just for myself as anything I do, but if I was ever to put a cover I've recorded up somewhere, not for sale neccessarily but for listening only :?:
As long as the song has already been released in some format you're welcome to do a cover. The owners of the work will be due any publishing revenue from it though.
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Sherz wrote:I for one certainly think this 21st century version gives the original a run for it's money.
I certainly don't miss those somewhat irritating tape-loop squeaky noises in the original :lol:
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:50 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:
Paul Woodlock wrote:
Steve Fogal wrote:
QUESTION - Can you please explain the licencing thing? How does it all work? Who, what, where, how, when?
I've had in mind doing some covers, just for myself as anything I do, but if I was ever to put a cover I've recorded up somewhere, not for sale neccessarily but for listening only :?:
As long as the song has already been released in some format you're welcome to do a cover. The owners of the work will be due any publishing revenue from it though.
Oh really ...hmmm...this I did not know. When Lenny stated above ...
license purchased from Songfile/Harry Fox Agency
I guess this is because it's on a CD that he intends to make revenue from which will include this cover song...? So if say I want to do a cover song, put it up on SoundClick, MySpace etc, etc..I don't need to contact anyone or do anything (except record & post it somewhere) regarding licencing until I intend to either have it listed for a listening/download fee or have it included along with other songs that I expect revenue from in a CD or other medium.

Isn't it true that Steinberg does not allow links to cover songs that aren't licenced, even for listening?

I myself don't intend to make any form of revenue for myself regarding cover songs...nor do I expect any from my own songs either, but of course it would be nice though. Those of us that are too old to seriously do a music career....are never too old to be a songwriter, so... [shrug]
I think Steinberg is being extra cautious.

And you're right, if you do a cover tune just for fun or to post on soundclick, that's fine. It's when you're going to potentially make money off of it that you need to pay a licensing fee.

You can actually do this online nowadays, as long as your run is less than 5,000 units I believe. (Beyond that you're talking about royalty payments, if I understand it correctly). You just go to the Fox Agency website and locate the song(s) you want to cover and then pay the fee. It's actually a reasonable fee, but if I recall, they add an "agent's fee" too (of course).

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:QUESTION - Can you please explain the licencing thing? How does it all work?
All your licensing questions are answered here(for the US)

http://www.harryfox.com/public/Licensing-GeneralFAQ.jsp
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59 pm

twilightsong wrote:Excellent track -- it takes a cue from its psychedelic progenitor and then makes it something completely modern and progressive -- pretty good work given it's such an iconic song.

At first I wasn't digging it, probably BECAUSE it challenges one's familiarity with the original. But slowly you built it into something that is totally your own -- the whole point of doing a cover tune, IMO. I also dug how you didn't rewrite the essential ingredient of the tune -- Ringo's drum pattern, with the double-hit on the snare on the upbeat of 3.
Thanks, Doug. I appreciate your comments. I tried to make it my own, but not have it be so 'out there'
that people wouldn't relate.
Yeah, I wanted that Ringo beat to be in there somewhere, though not throughout as the Beatles did.
FYI - I used the Abbey Road 60's kit from Native Instruments for the Ringo beat (with no added reverb - that's the natural ambience from the overhead mics) - then I used the Avatar kit from Superior Drummer for the heavier groove that comes later.
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 am

JSW wrote:Smokin’! I really like your version of this classic, I think the boys would concur. You have maintained the trippy sound they were so into at the time, yet gave it a fresh twist. Well done.

John
Hey John! Thanks for checking it out. Much appreciated. 8-)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 am

Zenda wrote:Hi Lenny

I decided to have a good listen to your song, rather than searching for the Beatle's verson to see what that sounded like.

Very strong, and I think that guitarist got some of your style of energy .... I bet he'd heard you singing before - You were both able to be thin and sharp yet with punch. Also, I loved the way you and he kept a kind of Eastern Romance throughout.

All the best
Glyn
Thanks for giving this your attention, Glyn. I'm glad it's working for you.
Yeah, Richie's got energy to burn. I can't wait to hear his reaction when I tell him we've had an 'Eastern Romance'. :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:07 am

ferencz wrote:nice rendition...well done!
Thanks for listening, Ferencz. :)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 am

Mauri wrote:Hi Lenny,

Very good indeed , 'love the arrangement, is that all/mostly yours? Great guitar playing too!

Cheers mate,

Mauri.
Hey Mauri. thanks for your comments, mate! Yep, my arrangement. Richie Scarlet played the guitar, and yeah, he
burns. I was in his band in the early 80's, and he's had success as a hired gun for some names in the industry.
He's toured with Ace Frehley, Leslie West/Mountain, Sebastian Bach, Neal Smith and Dennis Dunaway from Alice Cooper's original band, among others.

Here's his site: http://www.richiescarletmusic.com/index.html
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:20 am

Sherz wrote:Nice! I like this fresh new spin on this classic tune... in fact, while I know it's almost sacreligious to suggest a cover could better than a Beatles original... well, I for one certainly think this 21st century version gives the original a run for it's money.

Nice work all round. Smokin' guitar!

8-)

PS: Shouldn't this be in in the "Made With Cubase" forum?? :?:
I appreciate the praise, Ian, but please, don't be comparing me favorably with the Beatles. I am -not- worthy! :lol:

As for where I posted this, I suppose sometimes when I'm ready to post, the Rock Rebel in me comes out. 8-)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:25 am

DaveFry wrote:8-)
" Listen to the colour of your dreams ..."
;)
:)
Yes, in this context, 'colour' -must- be spelled with a 'u'. 8-)

Thanks, Dave. It means a lot coming from a synesthete. ;)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

swamptone wrote:Lenny,

Very, very, very cool! Well done!

Best Wishes,
Nick
Thank you kindly, Nick! 8-)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Lenny Lee

Post by Lenny Lee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

Steve Fogal wrote:Hmmm... Just listened.... Interesting and different...I'm still at a stage where I'm absorbing/battling with this against the original Beatles version...it'll take some time, the song 'as I know it' is still ingrained in my head for the last 35 or so years.... it's definitely good all around, but just a lot different. One of my few favorites of the 'odd Beatles' tunes....mainly I loved the odd drum beat and the "eastern flavor" as mentioned.

When doing covers, and as often said when covering songs...on one hand I think it's best to bring something new & different to something old rather than just copy it straight off, but on the other hand when doing so, does it do the orginal any real justice? or is it just 'different' to be different? One thing for sure, is the re-creator should do what he/she feels and believes in and to make it theirs. From what I've heard from you, this you've done ;)

As said, some of the key elements that made it what it was is still there.

If you're battling with this and struggling to let it in after having the original version so ingrained, then I've done my job.
I don't ask that you like it, just that you please listen. Thank you for giving it a chance, Steve.
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:54 am

Lenny Lee wrote:
Steve Fogal wrote:QUESTION - Can you please explain the licencing thing? How does it all work?
All your licensing questions are answered here(for the US)

http://www.harryfox.com/public/Licensing-GeneralFAQ.jsp
I knew generally that if you wanted to do what they call a new version or arrangement of a tune, you needed permission from the publisher. What I'm wondering is what constitutes such a "new" version? For example, I know you're a bit familiar with my "version" of "Close to You" which retains the melody and words but significantly rewrites the underlying chord structure... I'm wondering if I'd actually need permission in that situation.

Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 am

twilightsong wrote:
I certainly don't miss those somewhat irritating tape-loop squeaky noises in the original :lol:
Tape loop squeaky noises are cool. Subliminal mind dithering!!!
Got a Brian - Morans

"It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not" -- Andre Gide

bluebob

Post by bluebob » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 am

theres alot of attention to this production. the vocal lines that add doubling for more presence to the overall vocal mix, subtle movement in the filter of the synth, the guitar is with the music but still maintains its own world, even note wise at times, theres watery ambience and atmosphere that wrap the tune. a pleasure to listen to such an original influence to a great song
well done!
Bob
Trent River, Ontario

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”