VCAs

Hi,

Yes, Nuendo needs VCAs!

Until now we always used the mixing automation (and DSPs) of our Euphonix System 5 console (with VCAs!) for music projects. We are now looking into mixing music in Nuendo using the S5 as a EuCon remote control.

The Nuendo linked channels are not the same as VCA groups with a dedicated VCA group fader.

For music mixing, you will group all string instruments to a string VCA to be able to control this entire section easily but still being able to modify the individual channels inside the group. For example raise the entire string section level except for the cello(s). On a console you will raise the VCA group fader and hold back the cello fader(s).

And you need this kind of control prior to sending the signals to an audio group bus.

Using the Nuendo channel link function does not work this way.
Example:
When I link several channels I can modify the entire group level by using the fader of one of the linked channels. But when I touch more than one linked fader at the same time (raise the entire group but holding back the cello, for example), Nuendo only raises the entire group (including the cello fader I’m actually keeping in it’s position on the console) using the information from the first touched fader.

Of course you can do this step by step: first raise the entire string section, un-link, hold back the cello, re-link. But that would be too many operations and you would not hear what you are actually mixing.

We’re going back to using the mix automation of our console for music projects.