Key Editor goes to beginning, not cursor

The problem is worse for the List Editor because using the Follow on/off workaround centres the window on the play cursor, horizontally, but it doesn’t scroll vertically so you still can’t see the notes you would like to edit!! This is why I wrote a macro (jog left, jog right) to move back and forth by one measure because the only thing that makes this window scroll vertically is to move the play cursor! That’s quite a pain to have to do…

Yes, only double click, or the Enter key, or a choice if you want to set your own will give focus.

I’d really like this issue addressed because most of the time I’m opening a midi window I’m expecting to edit the notes right at the play cursor. And TBH, what’s the point in having AutoScroll on if it doesn’t scroll to the position when it’s opened whether in play or stop mode?

Mike.

Can you imagine? Focus leaving the window containing the clip you’ve just clicked?!

Sorry, Rappy, you lost me. That would be a pretty unworkable idea. Focus needs to stay on the window you’re working on!

To get focus back on you’re already-open window, why not just… Click it?

No. You’re not listening to me.

I never said I want focus to move after a single click, in fact I am saying the opposite. I want the behavior to continue to be the same regarding focus. As things stand, one click presents the clip in the editor but it doesn’t bring the Editor to the front. This is how it should be. But the position of the clip that is presented is the problem and has no bearing on where the cursor was in the project window. The clip logically should present itself where the cursor is (or at least where you click) and this should work the same no matter if the editor is in the foreground or background. (If you haven’t noticed, you can still check edits in the Editor window even if it does not have foreground focus. Hence why in my setup bringing the Key Editor to the foreground is both annoying and often unnecessary if you are simply wanting to check the MIDI - except to do the double F tap.)

Easy with the tone, there, bud. We’re taking time out of our day to help you, and you’re gonna step like that?
The biggest challenge on this forum is explaining detailed, technical behaviours in writing. If two of us misunderstood you, then it’s time to wonder if you’re explaining yourself clearly, non? :wink:
…Reading your post about the single-click behaviour, it’s hard not to think you mean you want single-clicks to bring the window to focus—so be careful what you’re typing.

e.g.,

Yep. That says, 100%: “I want the editor window to open and focus on cursor on a single-click.”

Anyway, after doing some looking into the way you have your windows laid out (if I am understanding your written explanation), I gotta say, Cubase behaves in a pretty logical way now, in v7.5.3. I’m actually very glad that you posted this, Rappy, 'cos Steinberg has really cleaned up the behaviour.

• Recreating your window layout (as I understand it):
  • I have the Key and Sample editor windows open, as in screenshot:
  • I click on an audio clip, the Sample editor will show that audio at the location that the clip starts at.
  • If I want the Sample editor to show the clip at cursor position, I enable Auto-Scroll in that window.
  • Same goes for the Key Editor.
  • Focus does not move to the window—and nor should it. If I single-click a clip in the Project window, I want any key/file commands I perform to apply to the Project window.
  • If I want to go to the editor I can ⌘+tilde to it; click it; or—best of all—close it and let double-clicking open it and in-focus! …and in its previous size and location!

It seems to me that you can only have one or the other—you can’t have single-clicks do double-click behaviours and you can’t have the editor windows know whether you want it to focus on the cursor or the clip start.

So, again. what is it that is not happening that you wish was happening?

It’s really only you misunderstanding me. And as far as me saying “No. You are not listening to me.” What is wrong with calling a spade “a spade”? You have not listened to what I or other people on this thread have said regarding the behaviour of clips when they are presented (via single or double click) into the Editor. The point being made by multiple posters is that when you select a clip (either with single or double click) it shows up in the Editor at the clip start position. It is obvious and logical that if you click the clip where the cursor is, you are wishing to see the notes that have just been or are about to be played. We do not want to have to scroll all around to find the cursor position in the Key Editor. Simple. Other DAW’s consider this behaviour a no-brainer.

No, it really doesn’t say that at all. You are confusing two terms. Focus and Centering. For the umpteenth time and for the prosecutions benefit, I do NOT wish the Editor window to Focus (ie. surface) with a single click. I DO wish the clip was displayed somewhere close to the cursor where sense can be made of relevant MIDI data.

Only that does not happen at all and that is the point of this thread. Look at the other people in this thread who describe exactly that this behaviour does not work. Auto Scroll only works at finding the cursor if you press play or as the previous gentleman suggested, by creating a macro to back up and forward one measure, or by toggling ‘Auto-Scroll’ off then on again (assuming the Editor is the window in focus – not in my case). Instead you are presented with the clip start, which is a PITA.

It is not my intention to be rude to you, but you are making it increasingly difficult by insisting I am saying something that I am not. I have already said to you that I do not wish Single click to do the same thing as Double click. If you so desire you can reread what I have said. In no place have I suggested I want the focus to move to the Editor with a single click. I never said it and never meant it, so I suggest you move on from that.

It’s really not rocket science. Other people understood the point straight off the bat. Get with the program, man.

Good luck with your issue, Rappy.

Thanks, on behalf of all the others with the same issue.

I reckon you should raise a thread in the issue forum. You use case makes a clear point as to why it should open clips and centre the cursor when (when AutoScroll is on). Sometimes I work like that too when I’m working on a score because I need to quickly see the details of different midi parts.

But aside from that, even in normal double-click use I think it should centre on the cursor (unless its outside the boundary of the part). and for the list editor, centre horizontally too!

Mike.

It’s not as much of a problem if you have the music broken into smaller clips. But lots of times (especially in an orchestral setting) you’ve got a clip which is 16 measures long. Yeah, it’s annoying.

Mahlon

Can I just link to this thread from the Issue’s forum? Or can a mod move it or something like that?
I would love to raise the issue again in a more relevant arena, but I think I’ve spent all my complaining energy debating the finer points with enjneer.

The thing to do is to raise an issue thread and state the problem clearly along with your Use Case. This gives Steinberg a good understanding of the problem and how it effects you and Cubase - and therefore hopefully a good reason to consider correcting it. Then link to this thread for the discussion. If you cross link then people viewing this thread will pop over to the issue thread and add extra support and their own use cases.

Mike.

Rappy

I don’t have a solution for you but will report that my Key Editor or Sample Editor always opens with the cursor visible. The editors open at the last zoom level. It doesn’t matter the level of zoom, the editor opens with the cursor more or less centered. It doesn’t matter if F/Follow is ON or OFF.

To clarify what I’m doing. In the Project window I click in the timeline to set the Song Postion. Now, any part I open that is under the song position will open with the cursor visible. If I open a part elsewhere in the song outside of the immediate view, the part view will open at the beginning of the part. If I’m understanding you, this is exactly how you want it to behave. (?)

I gave a quick look in my Preferences, tested a few settings but nothing stood out. I’m using 7.5.3 with Mac OS 10.8.5.

NZR

Ok, now try this. Find a clip that is longer than the width of the Project/ Arrange window view you have. Click a different clip so that you are not currently Editing the long clip. Now try clicking in the timeline, as you have just said. Then click the really long clip whose start position is off the screen and tell me where it opens in the Edit window.

I get the same results as you with smaller clips that fit inside the zoom of the project window, but I am doing orchestral stuff and the clips are often very long so the start position is rarely in view. Any time I click first the timeline, then one of these longer clips it summons the clip to the Editor window at it’s start position - the source of my aggravation.

Edit: Actually scrap the bit where I said mine works like yours does. I thought it was, but that was because the zoom level of the Editor was such that it was still large enough to show both the start position AND the cursor, so obviously the cursor was in view. If I choose a clip that fits in the Project window zoom level but doesn’t in the Editor window zoom level, then I lose the cursor - which makes sense but still indicates a problem with the coding.

Anyway I will submit an Issue, like was suggested.

Rappy

I have a project open with some long clips and short ones as well. Using the scenario you describe, the MIDI and Sample Editor still open with the cursor in view.

That was a 7 or so minute tune with a few tracks running top to bottom.

I also opened an orchestral piece that’s over an hour. The cursor still works correctly.

Just because it works okay on my box doesn’t mean it’s not a coding thing though. I hope they work it out.

NZR

The issue here I think is triggered by whether the Key Editor is already open or not. Here’s what I get:

OK - With Key Editor closed - double click always centres on the cursor or the start if beyond the boundary

NOT OK - With Key Editor open - double click always shows start of the midi, ignoring the cursor position and AutoScroll

This is inconsistent and if by design then it makes no sense to me.

Mike.

Rappy

The problem hinges on the fact that you want to have the Key Editor open in the lower half of the screen and select other parts with a single click. And you don’t want focus on the Key Editor since it covers more of the Project Window than you’d like.

Right now at least, it’s just not going to work that way. It’s not so much a coding problem or error as it is the way the program works.

Like GargoyleStudio pointed out, the problem is in not closing the editor. But I will disagree with Gargoyle in that it’s inconsistent and makes no sense.

While not exactly what you want, there is a way. If you’ll hit and double click the next part, it will open with the cursor where you want. The down side is you’re losing that small piece of Project Window real estate. That doen’t seem like a huge trade off compared to having the Position show up like you want.

Here’s why it makes sense to me. Long ago in Cubase, when there was only one level of Undo, not an Edit history, it worked this way: you edited in the Key Editor and if you liked what you did you pressed to keep the changes, if you didn’t like the changes you hit undo-ing all the changes you’d made. (I wish it still worked like that in addition to the History)

Closing the Editor is still the way the program organizes the (MIDI history. It has to work that way.

Something I’ve used working with orchestral things is the In-Place Editor. It’s designed to accomodate your method of working-editing MIDI while keeping the Project in view.

NZR

Just to clarify - I say inconsistent because if I double click on a part then I can’t tell where the cursor is going to go when the editor appears… That’s because if the editor is closed then it opens at the cursor point. But if my editor is behind another window (e.g. the project window) but still open then it appears and shows the start. I’d just like it to open showing the cursor position in both scenarios.

Mike.

I hadn’t thought to check what happens when the window is actually closed.

Anyway, here is the Issue topic I raised. Please add your support if this affects you.

Please continue in Steinberg Forums