Linux Support Steinberg UR22

Hi there,

I bought UR22 recently hoping it will work with ubuntu. I also tried all the steps mentioned above in this thread but still can not see it in the gnome GUI. Does anybody has any new idea?

Robert

That’s strange - make sure you’re running the script as root, otherwise the rsync step may have some problems.
I pasted the script here - http://pastebin.com/mVxFZVhY
If you’ve already got a snd-usb-audio driver being loaded, the script won’t be able to uninstall it, so after running it, you will have to reboot, and it should get picked up on the next boot.
Can you paste the script output here to help debug? By the way, the patch is in the upstream kernel, but Ubuntu hasn’t picked it up yet :confused:

So after some effort I managed to push my UR22 to work. It is not the smartest solution but it works at the time. I noticed that I boot to 3.13.0-40 kernel version and the patch refers to 3.13.0-32…So i had to find the way to boot to older kernel version. Now it works fine. I am still interested how to make it work with 3.13.0-40 though…

regards, Robert

The script here http://pastebin.com/mVxFZVhY should do the trick if you run it as root. I generalized it so it always pulls the latest kernel. The source tree it downloads may be labeled differently than the ubuntu build number, but we’re not rebuilding the entire kernel for this, only the snd-usb-audio driver, and it’ll point to the official ubuntu headers so the kernel version ends up matching up after all is said and done.

I have a Steinberg UR44 and tried the same procedure in Ubuntu 14.10. When that didn’t help, I edited the quirks-table.h in analogy to KgwgK’s patch file and thereby duplicated the UR22 entry, replacing the idProduct for 0x150e (which I took from lsusb). Then I repeated the steps of KgwgK’s bash script (make, disabling snd-usb-audio, rsync, enabling snd-usb-audio). Unfortunately, even after reboot the device is still not listed as a sound input device in Settings > Sound. Any idea what went wrong?

Looks like the patch is officially in the Ubuntu 14.10 tree now:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-utopic.git;a=blob;f=sound/usb/quirks-table.h;h=c657752a420c024aba8c61fa8ced9b8971434fcf;hb=HEAD
I just ran the Ubuntu update, and the UR22 worked out of the box on reboot.
:mrgreen:

I have a Steinberg UR44 and tried the same procedure in Ubuntu 14.10. When that didn’t help, I edited the quirks-table.h in analogy to KgwgK’s patch file and thereby duplicated the UR22 entry, replacing the idProduct for 0x150e (which I took from lsusb). Then I repeated the steps of KgwgK’s bash script (make, disabling snd-usb-audio, rsync, enabling snd-usb-audio). Unfortunately, even after reboot the device is still not listed as a sound input device in Settings > Sound. Any idea what went wrong?

I’m not sure, after looking at these threads, but it looks like Cyrus was able to get it to work.
Are you sure you didn’t re-apply the patch file with that script and overwriting your UR44 changes?
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-March/074120.html
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/130021

Yes, I’m sure.

However, apparently it did indeed work but the device is only recognized if it’s connected at system start. Reconnecting it later (including off/on) is of no use. Another caveat is that in Settings > Audio it’s only listed as an output device while, luckily, Audacity lists it as both input and output. A fast test showed that with a six-track recording the microphone input in channel 4 is detected correctly.

Hi,

I am just trying to get my UR22 working on Ubuntu 14.04, Kernel 3.13.0-44. The UR22 was recognized out of the box as Input/Output device. However, when using it with Jack and Ardour 3, both Mic/Line inputs of the UR22 are recorded on one channel. Couldn’t figure out yet how to do stereo recordings…anyone managed to use both channels for recording in Ubuntu? Hope it’s only a configuration issue…

Best
Chris

EDIT: Problem solved: The UR22 needs to be connected before systemstart (as quoted before) AND it must be conntected to an USB 2.0 port.

I hope this helps somebody

I tried the UR22 on Ubuntu Desktop v15.10 and it works.

All I did was power down the machine, plug in the UR22 USB cable into the computer and turn it on.

I did not have to install any device drivers or software.

The UR22 was recognized automatically by Ubuntu 15.10

Yeah, I got the fix into the kernel, so all is well now. :ugeek: A few other distros picked it up as well, although I haven’t tested all of them.

Glad it works for you !

Hmmmm… wonder if this works for a UR44?

Would love to know this too if the UR 44 works in Linux. Did somebody try it out yet?

This is great news KgwgK, thanks heaps for this! :sunglasses:

Did you guys get a chance to try it out?

Edit:

I was browsing the ALSA mailing list (see link below), and it looks like the UR44 has a “CC” (Class Compliant) button in the back that you can press, and it shows up as a multi-port IO device, and doesn’t need the UR22 quirk patch…
Can anyone give this a try before I go out and buy a UR44 to test with ?

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2015-July/094403.html
http://www.musictech.net/2014/04/steinberg-ur44-review/

Ok, I went out to Guitar Center and bought a UR44… $$$ :confused: :cry:
Audio output works out of the box on Lubuntu with the “CC” button pressed in the back of the unit.

Haven’t tested any mixing, recording, etc, yet, but will update the thread later.
Enjoy !

Thanks for the update. I have not had a chance to get back into the studio for a while now. Sustained an injury to my right hand which has impeded getting other things done… Interesting news about the CC button on the 44, that is normally intended for iPad use, looking forward to having a go. Also your results will be good to know. :sunglasses:

So, did anybody tried the UR22 with the newest release of Debian or Mint? I am planning to replace Ubuntu soon with Debian or Mint. I would doubt for Debian, since it is supposed to be very stable but packages don’t get updated so quickly.

It is nice to know that the UR22 is now recognised out of the box on some distros!

I am stuck until January, no time. :imp:

I tried with Debian 8 (Jessie) and it works out of the box. No configuration or anything to do.

Yay!

But I have kernel version 4.4. I had a weird issue with my GPU and the only way to make it work was to upgrade to kernel 4.4. Debian 8 ships with linux kernel 3.16 and I didn’t even think to try the UR22 before upgrading.

I didn’t try to record anything though, but UR22 inputs and ouputs are listed in the Sound configuration panel of Cinnamon. I just played a song on Totem.

Hi everyone!

Can I do something with my Steinberg ur28m on Ubuntu?(
System dosn’t “see” audio outputs, at that audio inputs are identified(i don’t check it).
I just need to listen audio.

Here is screenshot from alsamixer.
It’s russian language - but i think you undestand it.

1 Like