Audio drop out error message

I would check for new drivers for your graphics card is you suspect window handling is causing this.

And check by search if any other complaints here from users of the same card.

Actually I don’t suspect that windows handling is causing the problem because as I mentioned earlier I am getting recording audio dropouts when no windows are being switched. Maybe the problems are linked is my only suspicion at the moment. Everything else on my system is fine from a graphics point of view.

As I know that Cubase 7 has none of the problems at all, could there be a difference in what Cubase 8 requires of a graphics card in comparison to that required by Cubase 7 - that would then cause audio dropouts? If so, then I assume Steinberg would be aware of possible problems in the upgrade.

(The graphics card is an NVIDIA MSI GeForce 7600GS 256MB DDR2)

I have checked for driver updates on my graphics card and I already have the latest driver installed (307.83). So no problem with that.

A search on the site does not reveal anything useful except that misohoza has the same problem.

I hope a user, or Steinberg can help as Cubase 8 is unusable for me with this issue!

could there be a difference in what Cubase 8 requires of a graphics card in comparison to that required by Cubase 7

Yes…always check the system requirements.

Not sure but I think your card is not DirectX 10??

So, on checking, you are right. My graphics card does not support DirectX 10.

So I assume I have to get a new card.

Hope that resolves the problem!

make sure the buffer size wasn’t reduced, among other settings being back at default. I had severe audio drop outs, until I boosted my buffer size to 1024. No problems, since! No clicking or popping in my recorded audio anymore, either. Good luck… (Maybe stick with 7.5 until 8.5 comes out… seems to me all the ‘.0’ releases are buggy, and full of complaints, while the ‘.5’ releases are clean and all patched up!

No, I had checked the settings, and the buffer size has not changed.

I have to say I am still confused as to why, technically, bringing up the MixConsole could cause audio dropout. Maybe a processor issue?

Anyway, I have just taken delivery of a new graphics card to the required spec (a MSI GT 720) so I’ll install that over the weekend and see what happens.

Well, I installed the new card and it has not solved the problem. I continue to get drop-outs when playing audio (only 8 tracks) and when bringing up the MixConsole.

Having not had this problem before on projects substantially larger in C7.5 and previous versions I am at a loss to understand why this is happening in C8. It is unusable in this state and I guess I will have to go back to C7.5.

Any more views? Any point in uninstalling and reloading C8?

Hi there,

Maybee these things below are a starting point to find your problem

:bulb: How much hard drives do you use and how is the load spread out (1 disk = OS + softw, disk2 = audio + projects, disk3 = sample libraries?), are your disks on dedicated controllers? Are you measuring the load of these disks?

:bulb: What motherboard do you use and is it with the lastest firmware. Is there any tweaking done on your motherboard. How stable is your RAM? etc. etc.

Why all these questions you might ask?

Simple said your cubase should work! Drop outs merely indicates that something is wrong and you need to find out what. If all users suddenly are saying they get dropouts then I would look first at Cubase, but since this is not the case, I would look into hardware and driver problems.

Thanks for the views, and yes, fair questions, and ones I have asked myself. I have an AB9 motherboard which certainly a year ago had the latest firmware, though I should check it again. There has been no tweaking and I am sure the RAM is solid.I use two hard drives of 500 each, one for OS and software, and the other for samples and project storage. I believe they are on dedicated controllers but I have not measured the load. (Not sure how to do that). The computer is only used for Cubase recording, nothing else. I don’t have a virus checker and I connect to the net very rarely.

The only thing that continues to puzzle me is that all of this hardware, software and system setup was fine until I installed Cubase 8. Unless I am really missing something obvious, nothing else has changed. I will try more with C7.5 to see if I can duplicate the problems with that version as I certainly have not seen it there yet.

However, I very much see your overall point that if no-one else is seeing this then it is clearly something particular to my system, and I need to work through the possible causes. I have to say though, I am a certainly confused about it all!

Sorry to hear that the new card hasn’t helped. Very frustrating I’m sure.

If further testing in c7.5 shows that it is only in C8 then I guess that leaves you with taking a close look at whether preferences are set the same for both and perhaps in the Aero settings as this was a major change.

Also probably worth running latencymon while forcing the problem and seeing if it lists anything unexpected spiking at this point.

However, I very much see your overall point that if no-one else is seeing this then it is clearly something particular to my system, and I need to work through the possible causes. I have to say though, I am a certainly confused about it all!

As a longtime Cubase user I’ve dealt more then one occasion this sort of trouble, it won’t help but I really can relate to your problems. After having so much trouble I regulary had to completely build my systems from ground, including installing everything. This could take up to 2 days before getting at the point that I could make music again.
Ooh yeah and for some system my memory was bad, I also had a few systems where the harddrives where having bad sectors. These sectors only became a problem when accesing certian files (I wonder how I troubleshooted this one).

In my experience the only thing what will help, is to do a systematic exclusion of all sorts of problems, the first I would suggest is to reinstall your system including OS (best is to first back it up) to a basic system (no 3rd party add-ons), just OS en Cubase, then first test it good.

If you’re on windows 8 you can easily see the disks troughput in taskmanager/performance tab, I think windows 7 has the source monitor from within the taskmanager. If your up to it you can use “Perfmon.exe”, this standard windows tool can measure alsmost everything in your system, however interpreting the performnace data has it challenges.

Helpful pointers, thanks. I’ll certainly check some of the easy things, like Prefs as Grim mentions. I’m not keen on doing a rebuild for the obvious reasons, but, yes, that may become inevitable. I’ve only had to do that once, when I moved for XP to 7 and I remember it being quite a chore!

Having said that, my pc is now 8 years old (where did that time go?) and although I have upgraded a few parts (RAM etc) maybe this is telling me to get a new one! Anyway, I’ll check everything mentioned…and more…and let you know if I discover a simple obvious fault.

Thanks again to all for the help, all comments and advice much appreciated!

These computer issues drive us musicians nuts! Mind you, I still have my old reel-to-reel :wink:

Is the auto hitpoint detection on in C8 and not in C7 ?

An interesting thought - but in fact the Auto Hitpoint Detection is checked on in both C7.5 and C8. In fact, I’ve now checked through all of the Preferences and, as I would have expected, they are the same in C8 as they were in C7.5.

FWIW I have recently started getting the “Audio dropout detected…” while running my Cubase Artist 7.5. Don’t think anything has changed in my computer setup, yet this just started 4 days ago…

Interesting - though of course it may not be related to the issues I have.

Presumably you are sure that nothing has changed in your setup or vst’s or size of projects, etc?

I’m having same issue here.
Nothing has been changed but the new version of cubase, and I’m getting “recording error: audio dropout detected” when I record an audio track.

It never happend in C7 or 7.5, so I’m also pretty sure it’s C8 issue.

There’s nothing new that cubase always has new bugs and errors for every updates, but it’s still a shame. :frowning:

Am noticing same issue here on 8.010. I turned off ASIO guard altogether and that seems to have solved it so far. There seem to be problems with ASIO guard in this version. I was getting a few pops as well before I turned it off.

I too am having this problem unfortunately. And it seems it’s nearly the same situation as the OP, except I don’t get the error message on my system when switching windows (I’m Mac OS 10.8.5, 32 GB RAM, C 8.0.10, all 64bit). I’m just trying to record an audio snipet from Midi (Kontakt in VST, going out to PT, and then coming back into Cubase) and it simply WILL NOT record. I’ve tried different buffer sizes, ASIO guard ON/OFF, etc. I originally posted something about this error message a few days ago and am glad I’m not the only one. I never had this problem in C7 or 6.5 either…