PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mixer!

No it’s an issue you have. You don’t represent everyone, and certainly not all “pro’s”.

If you didn’t like the design of Cubase 6 that’s fine, if you like your software to sacrifice speed and useability for prettiness, that’s cool, but it’s design is much faster to use/mix on and that’s a proveable fact.

Well that’s a strawman as i’ve already said, I don’t believe it is any slower. I’d love to hear how you are substantiating your ‘provable fact’.

The clue is in the software title… PRO!, and simply put, the hover thing is not PRO, it’s childish and amatuer-ish design and slows down the process of mixing a track, try mixing a bunch of records in a day with very strick deadlines and you’ll soon know the importantance of SPEED and USABILITY.

I find the C8 mixer faster and more usable than the PT one in many aspects, so take from that what you will.

As I say, don’t confuse your own use with everyone’s.

I have to ask - were you around on the old forums, at v6.0/6.5…?

Then you will remember like me, all the dozens upon dozens of posts whinging and complaining about the (f)ugly and old mixer in Cubase:-

• “Steinberg, when are we getting a redesigned mixer - its 2010 for god’s sake…! I want to see Inserts and Sends at the same time”

• “Come on SB, get with the program.! This mixer is way past its sell-by date; ugly, complicated, ergonomically backward, not scaleable. Look at Studio One, or Reaper, or even Reason with their new ‘SSL’ type console…”.

• “I’m telling you, if this doesn’t get updated soon, I’m seriously thinking about switching my main DAW”.

• “This mixer is OLD Steinberg - we need a better design mixer like NOW…!!”

etc, etc, etc… and on and on it went…

Whats Steinberg to do…?

So, to now.

I, as a couple of others here have said, like the new clean look too. I work on albums (mostly audio) with track counts averaging 70+ As soon as I started ‘migrating’ to the new v7.0 edition, I admit it did take til v7.5 before I found I was good/comfortable enough (and things were working well enough…!) that I could stop my occasional trips back to v6.5. And, I haven’t since.

Having said all that, I’ll go with any improvements/solutions from SB, to the ‘hovering’ access to controls that you and others are continually frustrated and annoyed by - as long as we don’t go back to the ‘clutter-fest’ that was previous to C7

How many Pro’s do you know?.. i mean people who use Cubase every single day for at least 8 hours a day, and get paid for it.

The ‘provable’ fact is mixing a record in Cubase 6 compared to 8, try it and you’ll be amazed at how much faster 6 is when you actaully have real buttons to press instead of aimlessly hovering around trying to make buttons appear!.. It’s also provable as i’ve been in a lot of pro studios and spent time with countless professionals who do this all day everyday and every single one of them say the same thing, the hover thing slows you down, it’s fiddly and time consuming when you have to do it all day everyday.

I like/prefer the hovering thing. and I am a PRO. Which means that you clearly need to get your facts straight.

Honest question… why on earth would you prefer something that’s slower than real buttons, doesn’t make any sense.

I agree that 6’s mixer needed improving!.. that’s not the issue, the issue is the hovering around for buttons to appear, fix the hover button issue and all will be good in Cubase land again!:wink:

A few, who i’ve never heard complain about the mixer. You would provide a stronger argument by referring to the “pro’s” in threads like this so you can provide a substantiated basis for your claims. However, what can be observed from them is in fact a range of opinions on it, so since that doesn’t appear to suit your agenda I guess that’s why you are turning to personal anecdotes.

The ‘provable’ fact is mixing a record in Cubase 6 compared to 8, try it and you’ll be amazed at how much faster 6 is when you actaully have real buttons to press instead of aimlessly hovering around trying to make buttons appear!.. It’s also provable as i’ve been in a lot of pro studios and spent time with countless professionals who do this all day everyday and every single one of them say the same thing, the hover thing slows you down, it’s fiddly and time consuming when you have to do it all day everyday.

You’re anecdotal stories mean little when coming from a position as clearly biased as you seem to be. As I say, there is a range of opinion from members on this forum, many of them who use it every day, so i’ll refer to that substantiated fact rather than your unsubstantiated claims of “proof” that it’s slower.

That’s a strawman argument as you first need to show that it is actually slower.

If you think about it - a lot of times, the tooltip is quicker. Hover the mouse over the edit ch settings button and wait for the tooltip. Then, don’t hover, and click it. Then decide it’s not what you want, then drag the mouse to the X and click it - unless the box just happens to open in such a manner that the X is right next to where your mouse cursor happens to be. How often does that happen? Now, what’s quicker?

Besides - it’s just what I am used to - that’s all. Which doesn’t make it right nor wrong; same way the preference to have it gone is neither right nor wrong.

But you have to admit, calling someone who like this feature an amateur was kinda silly…

Indeed. The more you try and pack into a UI the more time will be wasted with accidental clicks on things you didn’t want if they are tightly packed together like they would be if they were all shown at once.

Besides - it’s just what I am used to - that’s all. Which doesn’t make it right nor wrong; same way the preference to have it gone is neither right nor wrong.

But you have to admit, calling someone who like this feature an amateur was kinda silly…

Indeed. It’s not very becoming of an alleged professional user to resort to name calling. There isn’t a demonstrable better or worse way for every user in this instance. It’s very subjective.

Load a un-mixed track into 6 and mix it there, it’ll be pretty obvious, and quite quickly too, that having real buttons is faster, try it!

Hovering takes up a bit of time yes?.. say .1 or .2sec each time, sometimes longer, ok, so now do that say hundreds of times a day, the wasted time soon builds up, and that’s apart from the fact it’s fiddly when the mixer is busy with hundreds of tracks and you constantly hit the wrong thing, as i said before, even Steinberg in their own tuturial videos are hitting the wrong thing in the mixer at times!

Calling someone amatuer is not name calling, it’s a fact, that’s your own insecurity calling.

If you’re offended by that then i’m sorry, i don’t mean offend, it’s just i get totally frustrated with this hover thing, i’ve been using Cubase since the Atari days and generally love it but this hovering thing is tiresome and un-called for, it’s lazy design imo. I do a lot of work for multi-media/website companys and there’s a reason none of them use hover buttons on newly designed websites anymore, it’s dated and annoying to most users.

Think about all the time wasted time misclicking if there are individual buttons for everything which would by necessity be are tiny though. I’d say a version where everything has it’s own button and permanently displayed parameter value could well be visually slower to process and far more prone to errors, which would waste more time than a tiny delay in the buttons/precise values appearing.

I definitely feel at the moment there is a happy medium between. Tests such as the one you propose are subject to what the user is used to. It could well be that you are faster with the v6 mixer, where as I may be faster with the v7/8 mixer.

I found it quite a long process adjusting to the mix console but not really because of the hover more the sends pre post fader controls and opening and closing racks but im there now and quite like it.

But here’s some food for thought.

In cubase we have what? Three mixers.
Maybe the third one could be the last mixer we had in v6.
best of both worlds then everyone is happy.

cheers

personally i don’t want to go back to v6 mixer, there are some good improvments now, it’s just the hovering for buttons thing that’s annoying, remove the hover buttons from the new mixer (even as a pref) and it’ll be much improved.

The way you used it appeared to be derogatory, as i’d say it inferred that “pro’s” know better and agree with you. Maybe you are insecure that “amateurs” are in fact faster than you with it, and you haven’t been able to adapt to it or something?

Either way, it’s lame to try and infer you know better because you get paid to use it. I don’t usually get paid to use it directly as I don’t mix for other people as a full time job, but I still use it for between 1 and 12 hours a day, and have no issue with it.

If you’re offended by that then i’m sorry, i don’t mean offend, it’s just i get totally frustrated with this hover thing, i’ve been using Cubase since the Atari days and generally love it but this hovering thing is tiresome and un-called for, it’s lazy design imo. I do a lot of work for multi-media/website companys and there’s a reason none of them use hover buttons on newly designed websites anymore, it’s dated and annoying to most users.

I appreciate your frustration, but just be aware that not everyone agrees with you. I’d actually say the functionality is out of necessity, and a better design choice than a cluttered mess of tiny buttons. Comparing it to far less information dense UI’s doesn’t really make sense.

That’s the thing though, when there are real buttons that you can see at all times you never mixclick!.. it’s something to do with brain muscle memory, when you can see the button your brain learns where it is and can hit it everytime no matter what, it’s when we can’t see the button but only when we hover over it, the brain doesn’t get used to to where it is and will misclick often, brain muscle memory is important and hovering to see things disrupts this process.

At the moment the mixer is like playing whack-a-mole, reminds me of this video! :wink:

I don’t want to go back to the old mixer, the new one is faster and better for me. But the buttons that you only pop up when the mouse cursor is near it and is depending on from what direction it is coming from, that gives far to many argh’s and grrr’s. It just takes the fun out of it, if I have to fight the GUI.

Also, have a look in the midi insert pane in the inspector, the real buttons are still there for that section, it’s very neat and tidy and it’s not cluttered at all, this cluttered argument doesn’t stand up for me.

That is not correct.
Things that take longer, take longer.
Add to the above arguments :

• Comparing of values on different channels
    ( I do that constantly, when setting up headphone mixes, or with effect sends ).
    Nothing can be faster, than seeing all values at a glance.
    With the hovering, I have to move the mouse to all values, I want to compare.
    If I take it away to the next value, the first vanishes.
    I have to keep it in mind …
    That is as bad a design as it can get !
    :neutral_face:

• Mouse acrobat.
    Currently, you have to do acrobatic mouse gestures, to make the mixer show multiple values in a row.
    Maybe some high end game players can be as fast, on the hovering mixer,
    as an average ‘mouser’, on a standard mixer.
    This again, is bad design.

Missing buttons, due to them being small, doesn’t hold.
As You can read everywhere on this forum, that missing buttons is a big issue, on the current mixer.
I can assure You, that there where near to none threads about missing buttons, prior V7 !
AND the hovering problems have nothing to do with free adjustable mixer sizing.
Talking about buttons …
Another big step back to ‘bad design’, are the buttons are all looking the same.
Different shapes where way more intuitive and faster to find.
Add the low contrast labels and you’re slowed down even more !

Jan