is cubase dying a slow death? [speculative discussion]

I don’t think the validity of brooklyn’s post depends on the musicality (or not) of edm.

I agree it is reasonable to wonder … if first-time DAW buyers don’t reach for Cubase when they are in diapers, is there even a small chance they will when they grow up? Maybe it will be like what happened to the lost Uubunti-Apuaa tribes of the Amazon after they were “discovered” by Westerners … it took just 1-2 generations for their tribal languages of the past 1000 years to be lost forever.

I imagine Steinberg marketing is aware of all that, and so they release the stuff that so many of the ahem “more experienced” guys on the forum, the ones who are just as likely to pay the bills with Cubase, are known to raise their eyebrows about - LoopMasheDeluxe, DJEQ(!), and other EDM/Loop/Beat-oriented releases.

But - maybe it’s not so bleak? For example, maybe a more likely scenario would be … when the few guys who stick with music engineering/production for more than a few years start hankering for a bit more than they can get with Garageband, FL Studio, Ableton, Logic, and the like … won’t they reach for Cubase, or Protools then? Are they really going to be able to do a full studio band recording with Fruity Loops Deluxe? Or score a film with the others? In other words, just because a lot people start out singing through Mr. Microphone does it mean the U87 is a goner for sure?

Also important is the educational market … anyone know which DAW software is the most prevalent in grade-school/high-school music labs?