[SOLVED]crash on exit-Peaks-crashy vsts? Read this!)

So you simply are transferring the graphics calculations from GPU to CPU.

After a little more googleling, yes it forces the program/plugin to use software rendering instead of the driver/GPU.
That leads me to think, that either users that experience problems are using faulty drivers or GPU’s. Or that there is a bug somewhere in Cubase that only triggers some combinations of software, drivers and GPU. Anyway it makes sense to update graphics drivers and disable any sort of virtual desktop or otherwise possible disruptive visual tools.

1 Like

Smooth sailing in cubase:p

I checked that out with realstrat and reallpc from musiclab - not working. After checking some possibilities it seems that the problem is the realviewer from musiclab which behaves strange with cubase 8. It concerns the vst2 and vst3 version. So i bridged the vst2 64bit dll with jbridger into a 64bit version and - success. No crashes anymore.

I get your response but it doesn’t answer the question. Others already have “smooth sailing” without this suggested registry change. Could someone from Steinberg please comment? If your offloading graphic processing from GPU to CPU, something’s obviously impacted…

What is your issue specifically?

So that’s what this does?
I ain’t got no dedicated graphics board, but instead Intel HD 5000 integrated graphics (on PC). It’s using using the CPU and chipset together as GPU. Could that explain why I don’t experience much improvement from this?

I was skeptical but this actually works for me. Projects close really quick without crashing! Initial load time is still pretty slow but it’s an improvement.

I’m trying to figure out if this is a solution or a band-aid? What’s the impact from shifting processing from GPU to CPU? Does this cause OTHER performance issues being that you are now taxing the CPU more? This might fix one problem but have other unintended consequences.

My personal opionion?
Its a bandaid and a solution…
No drain of cpu for audio resources on my side… Only improvements so far…
(Cubase doesnt really need 3d super visual fx to run smoothly)

But check it out for youself… If you dont like it, its easy to reverse by deleting the registry entry again…:wink:

Good luck and rock on:)

It outputs:

The domain/default pair of (com.cubase.common, GraphicsAcceleration) does not exist

The same error message comes up when reading the fabfilter defaults too (I have have fabfilter plugins installed) so I guess this is expected. I’ll apply the setting, reboot, and see if Cubase changes bevior at all.

That’s the first question I thought - I guess time will tell.

A repair install of Cubase fixed all my crash on exit issues.

I’m not sure this graphics tweak is making any real difference for me. I have noticed that periodically, Cubase and all audio will halt for a split second then resume. Almost like the graphics layer is choking and trying to process something and interrupting the audio stream. That’s just my suspicion.

This has been happening to me with cubase for the last couple of versions… I ignore it nowadays… (Whenever i add a new vst)

Thank you so much for this post.

I never had Cubase crashing on me. However, I was fighting ASIO Spikes into the red and occasional crackles for years.

I added the registry entry as suggested onto my Cubase8 Folder, and the ASIO Spikes are - gone! I observe this improvement on my Cubase 8.0.20 Workstation, as well as, on my Cubase 7.5 machine.

I am happy.

regards, and thank you!
Mikael

Looks like my spikes are handled here. Also quicker starting the program and loading projects.

How are people establishing which VSTs are causing problems? Is there a crashlog somewhere which tells you?

I’m getting occasional freezes, usually which require a hard reset which is very annoying.

Cubase has always done that. It’s been graphic oversensitive for over a decade. Doesn’t have anything to do with this registry hack.

But I’m not surprised to hear you react with great concern when Cubase freezes up like that. The user freezes up the same way, one’s mind goes blank. This does actually cause occasional crashes 'cause sometimes cubase doesn’t recover from it. So you never really get used to it.

i tried this but it had no effect for c75 remaining open after shutdown.

I applied the fix to the Cubase 8 registry folder and the spikes have completely disappeared. The program closes much quicker. Incredible!!! :open_mouth:

I tried it on my perfectly good working system, just to test if it makes a difference. I got exactly the same performance, makes me wonder if all this GPU rendering is actually worth the effort.