RE: Carbon Copy Delay FX (help?)

Hi folks,

I was looking to see if there is a CARBON COPY style DELAY FX within CUBASE ARTIST 8 please? There are DELAYS within ROOMWORKS entitled: PING PONG, STEREO and MONO. But I can not specifically locate a CARBON COPY (should such a plug-in exist).

And REVERENCE encompasses only REVERBS it appears.

I have recorded a MOOG demonstration and this particular FX was recommended to me to enhance the track.

Many thanks in advance . . .

Paul David Seaman

i suppose you are refering to the carbon copy guitar fx pedal. all it does is delay, mix, and feedback. any delay will have these capabilities, including those bundled with cubase.

you may want to dirty it up later though. perhaps one of interruptor’s free delays will give you the result in a single box. THE INTERRUPTOR: VST devices download page

h-delay by waves is really nice if you don’t mind paying.

Thank you Lukas,

Well, I actually have an MXR (169) CARBON COPY PEDAL which I use for my RHODES PIANO. MONO IN and MONO OUT. Looks like it offers MONO IN and MONO OUT (which is of course fine for the MOOG). It has REGEN, MIX and DELAY dials with a MOD [modulation] button thrown in).

Not sure how clean a SIGNAL who be produced from the MOOG thru the CC to CUBASE?

As you know, if I RECORD with a hardware pedal then I am stuck with the recording (unless I also record a DRY version alongside every PASS).

Also, I did not really want to have to hook up the pedal every time I wanted a CC FX (though I admit it is not such a massive inconvenience).

Finally, I was wondering if the hardware model will ALWAYS be BETTER than the VST version simple because the former is the genuine article!?

Best,

Paul

Lukas,

btw - here is the MULTIMOOG track uploaded to PICOSONG:

http://picosong.com/gLs2/

DRY and DIRECT from the MOOG into the STEINBERG CI2+ soundcard.

Much appreciated,

Paul

yeah hardware is always an inconvenience in a way, i think the source is more important. in this case i’d hazard saying something’s not right with the recording chain as the moog recording is seriously lacking in detail and fidelity.

Lukas,

By SOURCE do you mean the MOOG and/or the MXR CC please?

There are 2 x OUT’s on the MULTIMOOG. Hi (-10dB) and Lo (+12dB) (respectively). I came out of the LO.

It sounds ok-ish to me but I am only a novice in this field. Though there it no EQ or anything whatsoever so just the raw sound of the MOOG. Just a jack lead from the MOOG straight into the soundcard.

Here is another self-creation I made using the MOOG. Same PATCH except minus all of the real time tweaking (and no SAMPLE & HOLD):

http://picosong.com/g5v2/

Much appreciated,

Paul

Hi,

So maybe I should try the HI OUTPUT and the hardware MXR CARBON COPY with the MOOG?

Ta,

Paul

you can try, try to find the sweet spot between gain and noise floor (which i heard in the recording).

Hi Lukas,

I spent a while this evening hooking up and experimenting with the MULTIMOOG thru an (hardware) MXR CARBON COPY PEDAL (and then into CUBASE).

Lot’s of OCTAVE switching going on (in real time) and application of FILTER MOD (via the WHEEL). Mostly blowing over a Bb Mixolydian and Bb Blues scales (though the piece does have a certain amount of structure about it). A little superimposing just at the very end (ie fade in/out of arpeggios), though other than that it is all 1 x track performed live.

Anyway Lukas, this time I used the HI OUTPUT (+12 dB) on the MULTIMOOG.

ISSUE = The MXR takes away some of the edge and fullness of the MULTIMOOG (even when you just activate it will all the DIALS at ZERO)? Also, some aliasing (for lack of a better term) when playing in the UPPER REGISTER of the MULTI (when the MXR is activated)?

A choice of You Tube or PicoSong:

http://picosong.com/gJYc

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

So am I correct please in that there is definitely no CARBON COPY DELAY within ARTIST 8 please?

Here is a screenshot of REVERENCE and when I performed a search:

Ta,

Paul

use the ModMachine native plugin, that one offers modulation of the feedback signal.

Thanks Lukas,

Do uou mean PURCHASE the NI plug-in? As I do not own any NI VST’s.

Did you have a chance to listen to the MOOG with MXR CC demonstration I uploaded earlier please using the HI OUTPUT (+12dB)?

Best,

Paul

“native” as in native to Cubase, just start typing “mod” in the search window when you click on an empty insert slot and you’ll find it.

“So am I correct please in that there is definitely no CARBON COPY DELAY within ARTIST 8 please?”

There are four different delays with Cubase - again in the empty insert slot type “delay” to list them.

Hi PepperPig,

Ok, thanks man. I am still very much a NOVICE in CUBASE so I appreciate the help.

Paul

Thanks PP,

I will take a look . . .

Best,

Paul

Hi,

Well one thing I found out for sure tonight is: using the HI OUTPUT on the MULTI circa DOUBLES the amount (level) of artifacts when the MXR CC is activated. I changed it round last night to try this different OUTPUT, and at the same time, hooked up the MXR. Bad idea because I should have eliminated each individually. But I just realized tonight that the OUTPUT was HI so I changed it back to LO, and the results were better.

I may try and make a dedicated recording tomorrow. The artifacts are ONLY in the UPPER (2’) register. And they sound almost pitch-like (ie high harmonics).

Best,

Paul

Hello,

Here is a piece I made tonight after putting some time in thinking more about the MXR CARBON COPY DELAYsettings.

I set it to (what I would term) a SINGLE MEDUIM DELAY and tried (with little success) to play/keep in TIME with the damn thing! (I did not realize how tricky it was) :confused: But this was partly because I was trying to concentrate on shaping the FILTER and EG RELEASE (that’s my excuse anyway!).

Because, as mentioned above, I came from the LO OUTPUT on the MULTI, the artifacts are somewhat reduced.

I EXPORTED this (from CUBASE) as MP3 @ 44.1 and 48kHz (the latter being the highest option in mpeg). Though the FILE SIZE was IDENTICAL for both (2.21MB)?! And similarly I EXPORTED the WAV’s @ 44.1 and 96kHz (39MB and 84MB respectively). But they are too big to upload to most places (though I could upload to MyDrive [Google] if anyone was interested in comparing)?

Anyway, here it is on You Tube and PicoSong:

http://picosong.com/g6x6

Many thanks,

Paul

Hello PepperPig,

Thanks for your pointers.

I had a look as you kindly suggested but I was not able to locate it. Though more than likely I may have done something incorrectly!

Please see screenshot result below:

Many thanks,

Paul

It looks like ModMachine isn’t included with Cubase Artist - I wonder what freebe alternatives are available?