[SOLVED]crash on exit-Peaks-crashy vsts? Read this!)

How are people establishing which VSTs are causing problems? Is there a crashlog somewhere which tells you?

I’m getting occasional freezes, usually which require a hard reset which is very annoying.

Cubase has always done that. It’s been graphic oversensitive for over a decade. Doesn’t have anything to do with this registry hack.

But I’m not surprised to hear you react with great concern when Cubase freezes up like that. The user freezes up the same way, one’s mind goes blank. This does actually cause occasional crashes 'cause sometimes cubase doesn’t recover from it. So you never really get used to it.

i tried this but it had no effect for c75 remaining open after shutdown.

I applied the fix to the Cubase 8 registry folder and the spikes have completely disappeared. The program closes much quicker. Incredible!!! :open_mouth:

I tried it on my perfectly good working system, just to test if it makes a difference. I got exactly the same performance, makes me wonder if all this GPU rendering is actually worth the effort.

Good question;)

I spoke too soon. On my latest project I’m getting my usual crash on exit…

Sorry to hear that…

BooYAH!!! I’ve been plagued with the crash on exits and other related symptoms for months. Even opened a ticket with support and had temporary intermittent resolve for the problem after the recommended upgrade to 8.0.20 Build 468

In my case, support had diagnosed the issue to be with some third party plug-ins after reviewing my crash dump logs, which was very likely I suppose.

But after stumbling across this post and applying the fix (running Mac) my woes are over. So great to exit without a brutal crash afterwards. Seems to be a bit more responsive as well now.

Thanks ggc!!!

Tried this fix and it has speeded up a lot of things like the opening of Ozone 6 that used to take ages. Only downside is that when exporting audio I now do not get a percentage bar moving - it works but stays at 0%

I haven’t used this method the stop crashy VSTs but I sometimes experience the bug of the export percentage bar not moving, so I think it’s unrelated.

It could be but I have never experienced it prior to this, I guess I can easily test

I had this issue constantly on larger projects in C7.5 and am getting it intermittently in C8 also…

Possibly worth people listing what plugins they’re running to try and narrow it down a bit?

Often, but not always, when it happens here, my UAD2 cards won’t ‘flush’ properly according to the uad2 monitor, i have a feeling though that at least in my case Slate VMR & VTM have something to do with it…it does seem to be a little better if i use just the VST3 versions though… iLok related?

Only bit of info i’ve been able to gather after a hang on exit here is this…

holy crap this appeared to have worked for me!
at least after my first few loads/quits… AMAZING!

My thoughts as well.In my limited understanding I had thought one of the main points about using Aero was to keep the graphic processing in the GPU, so more CPU was available for “music”?

Can´t see how this would work with nvidia cards, since settings like these are nvidia control panel related.

My fix of doing a repair install didn’t last long. It worked for about a month but now Cubase is back to hanging on exit lots of times. I’ve not changed anything, and subsequent repair installs haven’t fixed it, so who knows what’s causing it. :frowning:

Had an iLok driver update a few days ago… problem seemed to go a way for a few days but i had one hang on exit yesterday… strange…

I did notice that turning off the VSTs in the rack before saving my project, and then exiting… seemed to help when I was experiencing this. I have a new build and PCIe interface. I have not had any issues, yet. My video card is NVidia GeForce GTX 780. I am running on Windows 7(64). I have not applied any of the registry edits suggested here in this thread.

I came across this thread today, and have recently installed Windows 10. I thought I’d give this registry change a quick try… must admit I was very surprised to see all the random ASIO peaks completely (so far) disappear. Whaddya know? It worked :slight_smile: