RE: Carbon Copy Delay FX (help?)

Hi PepperPig,

Well I am going to try feeding the MULTI into the MXR with it’s VOLUME set as LOW as I can get it. It is certainly worth a shot at least.

Oh wow, I never knew that you could obtain such downloads for FREE on the Steinberg site! Cheers.

Mmm, ok. I guess I am trying to gather whether, very generally speaking, which one is BEST in the hardware vs. software debate. Though have spent three or so days messing with the MXR, I am getting more comfortable with getting the DELAY FX I want from it. Just a shame I/we have had to wade thru all this other nonsense in the mean time. Also, I am getting a feel for what WORKING METHOD best suits me.

I found the MAGENTO and QUADRAFUZZ:

Many thanks,

Paul

by the way, i would trust your ears, unless you want some signature modulation aka soundtoys echoboy or ohmboys, most delays will do and if it sounds good… you know ;]

Hi Lukas,

Cheers.

I am going to continue experimenting with the MXR CC because it does not seem to cause any issues (as far as my ears can tell [and I spent a great deal of time running comparisons]) in the MIDDLE and LOW registers. However, I will take a look at the VST FX options within CUBASE ARTIST.

Best,

Paul

JMC,

I used this exact MOD FX in the INTRO and ENDING of my last UPLOAD (“Funky Slap Back”). It sounds like rapid detuning.

Paul

by the way, I’m not sure what amp you are running the multi to, or if you are going DI. If you are micing an amp and that amp has an FX loop, that is the best possible method to use the MX.

Also, if you have a multi-input output audio interface, you can use the external FX buss in Cubase to route to the MX, which will solve a lot of the leveling issues you may be having.

JMC,

No amp for recording = Just MULTIMOOG, to MXR, to CI2+ CUBASE INTERFACE, to PC.

I have never gigged the MULTIMOOG (yet). I have a FENDER DeVILLE amp (heavier than my RHODES!) which would probably be better than my MACKIE (powered) SRM (350’s I think they are) speakers.

I have a YAMAHA MG (something or other) small-ish desk. I am thinking of using this in my home set-up as my soundcard only has 2 x IN’s and it’s driving me mad swapping leads all the time!

The CI2+ has 2 x IN’s and 2 x OUT’s (for instruments and powered monitors respectively). So nothing fancy as such, just meat & potatoes.

Thanks,

Paul

So, on the mackie, run the multi into that and use the effect sends/returns to go to the CC. Or use a TRS insert cable so you can use the mackie faders and such to control the level going to the CC.

By the way, learning how outboard gear works in what setups is a huge thing if you ever plan to play out. It is well worth the time. Like most things, this initial stage of learning will get easier and make more sense as you go. Then you will get fast at identifying sounds in your chain and likely suspects for their occurrence.

JMC,

Well when I gig my NORD piano and a couple of MODULES etc, all running thru the YAMAHA MG desk and into the pair of MACKIES, it is never really a problem. And recording the NORD piano and ROLAND XV5050 module seems to be fine.

But since trying to record my YAMAHA DX7 and the MOOG (ie vintage) into CUBASE, this is when the problems have arisen. And then compounded with the addition of hardware stomp-boxes! I wonder how well the MINIMOOG might record? That is for a later date . . .

Best,

Paul

Thanks JMC,

The MACKIES are the SPEAKER’s.

The YAMAHA desk is the MG82CX:

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/mixers/analog-mixers/mg82cx/?mode=model

So hopefully it will do all of the above?

Cheers,

Paul

Yes. That mixer has a send and master return. Go to the mixer with the multi and put the cc in the aux send and return

JMC,

Ok, thanks. I will test it over the weekend. Are you thinking this could be a way to ATTENUATE the MOOG pre-MXR?

Spent nearly 2 x hours trying to get a SAXOPHONE sound out of the damn synth tonight! :confused:

Best,

Paul

Yes you will get much finer control using aux return

So get a sound level you like without echo then slowly up the send and return levels

JMC,

Awesome, fingers crossed!

Gotcha.

This thread is only just started getting going. I have TONS of questions on the back burner, believe me!

I very much appreciate all your help.

Paul

Hi,

(Would be great if JMCecil could kindly advise me according here).

I have other questions regarding recording with CUBASE (will be relating to in conjunction with MOOG and DX synths). So they are not relating to the MXR DELAY and similar.

So should I open up an NEW thread? And maybe call it: “Artist 8 Novice Recording Advice Needed” (or words to that effect)? I will still be contributing the this thread on the MXR also.

Ta,

Paul

JMC,

I will try and test this out when I can this week.

I have been busy trying to deal with other CUBASE and recording issues . . .

Best,

Paul

Hi again,

I was trying to experiment with creating DELAY FX by recording a MOOG melody into CUBASE, the DUPLICATING it (the audio) using CTR+V, and HARD PANNING each track either side.

Then to create the DELAY, zooming in (CTR+H) into one of the tracks and moving (offsetting) it (to 0.03ms in this example).

Hence, would this be the correct procedure please?

Also, what I am not sure of, mathematically, is that a MILLISECOND is a THOUSANDTH of a SECOND. So how many ZERO’s should there be after decimal point please? In the (above) PNG’s/recordings, it is set at 0.03ms, but people say “300ms”.

So this is how I think it is:

0.03 is 300ms. I think it is actually 3 x CENTI-seconds. So is it correct in that 0.001ms = 10ms and 0.0001 = (1 ms).

Audio demo recording uploaded to PicoSong:

http://picosong.com/gNeS

Many thanks,

Paul

Thickening sounds by duplicating tracks and shifting them a few milliseconds before and after is common (I usually pick the nearest mathematically correct time to 30ms) - although you can get phasing issues using this technique. Just try out the built in delay effects! Also StereoEnhancer has a (single) delay feature - this plugin is included with Artist.

Hi PepperPig,

Yes, I will try the built-in CUBASE FX thanks.

So would you say that: “duplicating tracks and shifting them a few milliseconds” is not really a DELAY? Just more a a thickening of the texture?

Thanks,

Paul