PLEASE eliminate hovering in the mixer!

speak for yourself, I’m not part of that “we” What’s holding you back going back to v6? Also steinberg only celebrated 25 year anniversary last year :wink: first Atari version released in '89

I actually went back to v6 for the last few weeks to see if i could go back because i got so fed up with the direction Cubase is going, and to my amazement i actually loved v6 again!.. it’s much much quicker, it’s more snappier, doesn’t crash anywhere near as much 7 or 8, it genuinely feels like the code is far better as the program just simply runs better. i’m sticking with v6 for now, until they sort out this hovering.

I hope they don’t, V8 is the best version so far. I like the direction Steinberg is taking.

well then, you’re going be disappointed as Steinberg are indeed working on a solution to the hovering, so looks like v8 will be your last version if you enjoy the hovering.

+1

YES, Please eliminate the hovering in the mixer. The new mixer GUI is way to “Fisher Pricey” IMO.

Hmmm … been using Steinberg software before Ataris were released. They had a SEQuencer for Commodore.
Maybe not released worldwide … ( I always lived very close to their HQs in Hamburg )

Jan

and i HATE the direction they went with 7 an 8. Sadly I have to work with this mess because of the console 1 compatibility. Good thing is: because of console 1 I have not much to do with the Steinbergs new toy-mixer, as I do all mixing withtin console 1

yes. put it in prefs. I like it the way it is.

I was one of those who was turned off by Cubase 6 because of the mixer. It was just overwhelming have all these buttons and symbols which I had no idea what they did / how to use them. Of course I could have taken the time to properly learn it, but I had music to make and would thus default to working in Logic.

When the new mixer came out I LOVED it! The streamlined GUI made it much easer for a new Cubase user to grasp, and the ability to choose only what you wanted to see made life much easier. I even enjoy the collapsible “racks” idea. However, needing to hover over items is the mixer to see their options is indeed a workflow killer, so I am torn! I now understand and appreciate the old Cubase 6 mixer!

I dont know the solution, but I just wanted to add that I think something should be done to streamline the mixer workflow even further, and do not believe hovering is the answer. I also do not necessary think a preference is the answer. I mean, the changed Cubase 7 mixer was not a preference - but maybe that was the problem?

I really love the new V 8 mix console´s extensive features and it´s flexible scalability - this is the right step in the right direction. On of the best mixer in the daw world, IMHO.

But I prefer Logic´s > mouse over in the Insert area.

…here is a YT vid where you can see Logic´s behavior:

I would like to have this also in Cubase.

Opinions?

regards,
Central

Hovering has been eliminated in 8.5 (as an option). The now optional hovering is a better implementation too. Thank the pagan animal gods for that.

Has it ??

Where do I disable it for sends, control room sends, etc ??

Thanks, Jan

I like the mixer just fine. It’s beautiful the way it is.

It’s not completely eliminated. Various sections still have to be updated. But inserts for example can now be set to “Show Inserts as Plugin-Name & Insert Controls” you will get fixed assets in the insert dialog. Also, even if you leave it default, the hover response is significantly improved. The regions no long overlap adjacent tracks and the pop time is now useable.

I still prefer the old way, but this is finally getting functional.

EDIT: also, the fix if primarily in the mixconsole. The inspector still needs work.

Yes unfortunately it turns out to have been a half-done job.

Yep, that’s how they do it …
( … and thanks JM, the question was somewhat rhetorical )
… and yes, it’s getting better … as years go by :wink:

They are slow, with all the issues … and new stuff, bringing new issues.
Some time ago, I campaigned for Steinberg to go Cubase only.
At least halt everything else, till the majority of fixes is done and all features work es expected.
Maybe I should bring that back ?!
:sunglasses:

Jan

And another half-done job, or one step forward and one step back. 8.5.1 now has the better hovering throughout (except panners), but the buttons are now unresponsive to clicking.

Well, you still need to perform mouse artistic, to compare cue send levels.
There is still only one value shown at a time !
Hovering is NOT eliminated, yet.
:neutral_face:
I had some mere hopes, after so many years without cue send levels,
they might bring them back …
What I fool I am …

I have to admit, that the switch bug does not affect me that much.
I seem to have pretty good control over my mouse movements, so most of the time, the switches work.
Still this is pretty annoying, as you get the feeling it works reliable and just then, it fails.
Very NOT “pro” !
Definitely needs a quick-fix !

Jan

“The Hovering Control design” has finally got a name :open_mouth:

Get rid of it all together is my take on it. I just wanna swipe my eyes across the board to see all relevant info (like on a real console)

It was slowly getting better… Then they manage to introduce the “Intelligent Name Abbreviation”… again. Slightly changing the GUI with every small update is soooo frustrating.

Why do they have to change/add all those small unimportant things when release smaller updates. I want those to be mainly fixes.

Yep, the abbreviations are a constant source of frustration, since years. They need to go …
As it seems, the majority does not want them … probably some VIPs do.

Jan